This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
[SWP] Dark Days
Open Mangrove Tidepools 
Rixen the Vine King
Currently championing: Vjanta
RIXEN
i have late night conversations with the moon;

The salty, tangy scent of the ocean hung in the air for what seemed like miles before the water was even visible. But we had not come here to enjoy the scenic view from the cliffside, or frolic down on the sandy beach beneath the shade of the mangrove trees. No - we were on a mission, so to speak. We were on our way to cleanse just a little bit more of the Rift of the sickness that had wracked its body for so long. See, the horses living in the Rift, and even those who'd been brought here through Kisamoa's portal, were not the only creatures affected. The disease had spread to the plants, too. 

The mangroves, which should have been standing tall and proud as trees do, had bent this way and that in their pain. No branch was perfectly straight, of course, but this was far worse than a few natural kinks along each bark-covered arm. Like the Matron had said, the trees had begun to tie themselves together. Their branches formed knots so tight that they wound in strangleholds around one another, choking the life away. Blood, in the form of sap, dribbled down the wounded bark, and the limbs that had died slumped toward the ground. Each mangrove looked as it were trying to voice a despairing moan into the damp ocean air.

This all became plainly visible as I approached the Tidepools. It was an even sadder sight to see than what I'd initially imagined, and at once I began to think of how we could stop the trees from suffocation one another and themselves. It didn't seem like an easy task, considering the fact that I couldn't exactly talk to the trees. I turned to Kiada, who'd also travelled with me to help, "This is awful..." I surveyed the scene. Everything was so different from the last time we'd been here. "A small part of me had been hoping what the Matron said wasn't true." Another part of me had known all along it wasn't.

"Talk."

he tells me about the sun
and I tell him about you.

img

@Kiada and anyone who wants to jump in!
{Image: untitled_drawing_by_indelyde-dceus9t.png}
Explorer Kiada
KIADA
I am unworthy but I will build and break
and destroy and create for you

She had traveled with Rixen to the place of which the two of them had met. It was bittersweet, part of it was encompassed by a land that had such a pleasant memory associated with it. It was the first time they had ever conversed their ideas, finding out that the two of them shared so much in common when she had asked him to join her to the Green Labyrinth, which seemed to spur so many more adventures for her to share with someone else. But it was bittersweet, due to the sorrow that seemed to encompass the land as they grew closer, as the salt from the water tingled her senses and Khairi crooned a mournful sound as he surveyed from above.

When her eyes landed upon the damage, it became a catalyst. At first, her gaze landed on the mangroves, tangled and knotted in an eternal scream, to the life that seemed to leak from them as they held each other in a tight death-like grasp. As Rixen turned to her to speak, her eyes remained on the Mangroves as though she couldn’t pull her gaze away. After a few moments, her icy gaze flickered to Rixen with a frown creasing her pink splotched lips. “I hoped not either, to be honest.” She admitted quietly, turning her head back toward the trees before approaching almost apprehensively. “I don’t even know where to start.” She began, her frown deepening as she tried to pick out a few that were closer to them.

Then as she found one in particular, she glanced back at Rixen offering him a small half-smile to say she had chosen her own task, while Khairi landed on the Mangrove closest to her to try and use his beak to untangle a few of the smaller branches that weren’t quite as heavy. As Kiada approached, she noticed a rather large branch wrapped around another. Reaching out with her head, she bit down on the branch and braced her body to tug, as she did she felt it loosening and tugged a few more times until it was free and hung aimlessly at the Mangrove’s side. Her joints ached with the movement already, and as she looked around them it appeared as though they had a lot of work to do. “This is going to take awhile.” She admitted as Khairi chirped in agreement as she glanced over to see how Rixen was doing. The tree in front of her still had two more knotted branches, and there were what felt like a billion.

"Talk."

for you, i kneel. for you, anything.
everything, always

img

@Rixen <3 and anyone else! :D

TROY FALLS A THOUSAND TIMES,
IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
LIKE A STAR BURNING OUT.)
Kyros the Hopebringer
Currently championing: Reszo
Kyros
He followed the pair quietly giving them some room until. He knew that some people liked to be left alone. In honesty he didn't understand why they would want to be alone, but whatever. He turned his thoughts to the tasks at hand. He thought it was great that they might be able to do something to help this land. Maybe in healing the land he would in turn be able to heal himself. His own heart was twisted and missing. Ever since he had watched his entire family die in one swish of Kaos's tail he had never been the same. He often found himself dwelling on the matter, stuck in a never ending loop of despair. He still couldn't understand why he had been left to live. He glanced at the golden falcon his back and whispered quietly, "I am not the sun." With a shudder the gargoyle came to life.

"We are not fighting, do not attack." The bird made a clicking coo as it flew around his head. The blades on it's wings shimmered in the neon light. He smiled softly at the gargoyle as he finally caught up with the two adults. he watched quietly for a moment as the golden lady tugged the tangled branches apart. Her vulture helped her the best it could, but he knew it wouldn't be enough. "Pardon me, but I think that might take to long." He stepped forward as he spoke and dipped his ivy marked head respectfully.

"I'm Kyros sire, it's nice to meet you." he smiled warmly at the the blue and white stripped unicorn. He turned towards a tree thinking the trees seemed confused and scared. He stepped up to a pair that looked as if they were hugging each other for comfort. He gently pressed his young muzzle to the bark and spoke in a warm comforting voice, "Be at peace now trees,we are here to help." He closed his eyes and tried to push his good intentions into them. The golden falcon circled his head mechanical eyes watching them silently.
-----------------------------
Talk
Words;; 348
image credits
- table by Niki -
{Image: GXaleou.png}{Image: 7fHJvV8.png} 
Glacia the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

Glacia

I followed behind Kiada and Rixen. I was a rather quiet companion, occasionally discussing something with Selene, but kept mainly to myself. Just trying to get to the Mangrove tidepools. 

The smell of brine is refreshing. It reminds me of my time living on the World's Edge. My eyes look to Kiada and her eternal flames. Funny, that I should think of it now, when I stand next to the daughter of the Elephant King. The Worlds Edge. Where we served the goddess of the Moon. A controversial deity. Yet not eternal. None of them were. Except Kaos. Or I suppose he goes primarily by Kisamoa here. Slowly my skin twitches beneath the itchy sweat caused by the lovely heat. Ah how I missed the Aurora Basin. Cool during all times of the year. I needed to find somewhere similar in this world. 

As we arrived, I listened to Rixen's sad words, and looked upon the ruin myself. It was sad what had happened to this place. And it had only been made worse by us. By our now dead deity's... But we were trying to fix it. So there was that. Selene lifts from her perch to follow Kiada's companion, picking at the vines as well. I agree. It will take some time. 

But a stranger arrives behind us. He is young. A mere child. A reminder of all the children that I had lost here. Vidar, Kvasir, Gwyn, Rowan. At least with Vidar, I knew his fate. I shove those feelings deep again. Determined not to let them control me at this moment. I needed to be strong until I found Rowan. "It's nice to meet you Kyros... What would you suggest we do to solve this dilemma?" A kind smile lifts my lips, as I'm rather curious what the child will suggest. Selene watches too, her pecking halted for the moment, her intense eyes watching and waiting. 
"Talk."
@Kiada @Rixen @Kyros 
Sorry for the delay loves <3

image | bckg
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
It is both pitiful and horrifying; the stands of mangroves bending in towards each other, in what seems either a struggle, or a desperate need for comfort. They have pulled each other, and themselves, so tight that the knots usually forming and reforming have torn into bark and wood, dark stains of sap bleeding from the gashes. A few are straining against the knots, as if unwilling to be trapped in the deadly embrace, but they are held too tight and cannot get loose.

Accompanying it all is a slow, low wail, but it is hard to tell if it is a dirge from the trees themselves, or the ocean crying for them.

They do not seem to resist the aid they are given. The smaller branches Khairi untangles relax, as does the larger one Kiada tugged loose from its chokehold. The freed roots and vines twitch restlessly, as if considering returning to their previous positions, but as of yet, they make no move to do such.

The tree Kyros speaks with seems to relax slightly, but its tangled roots remain in a knot.
the Rift
life from death

* Each round is 48 hours (give or take), and has no posting order. If you miss a round, don't worry - just post when you have a chance to! The round is open until Rift Presence posts again.
* New characters are always welcome to join the plot
* If you find the pace too high, let us know, and we'll slow down!
* Posts are encouraged to be 400 words or less.
» Presence of the Rift «

Rixen the Vine King
RIXEN
i have late night conversations with the moon;

I didn’t know where to start, either. I’d never come across anything like this in all my travels. Kiada began to go to work untangling the branches. "A long while." I added, frown deepening. Following in what the gilded mare was doing, I made my way over to a knot of branches and tried to use a combination of teeth and antlers to pull them apart. I wasn’t having much success. Glacia, who we’d run into earlier, had accompanied us to the Mangrove Tidepools too. I assumed that she was probably trying to pull apart some of the suffocating mangroves somewhere behind me. Upon seeing the vast task that we had to undertake, we all sort of just went to work in silence, hoping that we’d be able to help somehow.

I had been attempting to pull apart a particularly twisted cluster of branches when I an unfamiliar voice broke the air, which had been still aside from the crashing of waves in the distance and an occasional laborious grunt. I wouldn’t have heard the approach of the colt had he not spoken out, but upon hearing him, I paused and turned to see who it was. He was a colt, and as soon as turned around to acknowledge him he stepped forward and introduced himself as Kyros. "Hello, little one." I said, managing a smile despite my dampened mood. I agreed that how we were going about helping the mangroves would take too long, but what could we do? I saw no obvious solution. "The trees need our help… but if we are to help them any faster we might need magic. I can’t think of anything else that would work off of the top of my head." My green gaze shifted from Kiada to Glacia to Kyros as I spoke. I had no magical abilities, but perhaps one of the others had something, or some idea as to how we could speed up the process. Then I turned toward Kyros, awaiting his answer to Glacia's question. 

"Talk."

he tells me about the sun
and I tell him about you.

img
{Image: untitled_drawing_by_indelyde-dceus9t.png}
Explorer Kiada
KIADA
I am unworthy but I will build and break
and destroy and create for you

Kiada wasn’t paying too much attention, listening as Rixen agreed to her sentiments of it taking forever. She continued to tug while Khairi worked overhead, when suddenly, an owl appeared to help Khairi. The vulture eyed the nocturnal bird with a beaky grin and a coo in her direction and as Kiada turned her head, she noticed Glacia with a grin. “Glacia! I’m glad you could join us.” She offered the mare cheerfully, but another voice piped up and piqued her interest as well and she found herself stepping away from the tree to allow Khairi and company to work on it while she spoke with Rixen and the others. She remembered Kyros from the Tree of Light and how he had nearly ran into her mother. A brilliant smile crossed her lips as she dipped her head to Kyros.

It’s good to see you again, Kyros.” She said to him. Then, her inky ears flicked forward to listen as Rixen speaks. His eyes flick over to Glacia and herself, and she childishly feels her heart skip a beat as his emerald gaze lands on her. Before she had a chance to say anything, she watched the trees that Kyros placed his head against and spoke to, watching as the branches seemed to relax some. Curiously, her ears lifted higher as her eyes widened. “Wait.” She said briefly. Moving over to where Kyros was, she eyed the trees and their relaxed stance, despite still being in knots.

Maybe we should talk and sing to them? Look, the trees that Kyros spoke to relaxed some, it might be easier to help untangle them if we speak to them?” She questioned, offering Kyros a brilliant smile for his incredible idea. Then, she found her eyes moving over to Glacia and landing lastly on Rixen, shifting herself to where she stood beside another tangled tree. She looked at it briefly before murmuring quietly to it, “if you allow us, we’re here to aid you. Please just relax, we don’t mean any harm, we want to untangle you from your brothers, to help you thrive in the Rift.” She spoke to the tree, her eyes shutting while she spoke but opening at the end of her tale to see if it had worked.

"Talk."

for you, i kneel. for you, anything.
everything, always

img

@Rixen @Kyros @Glacia omg we got a group im so excited ;-; Kiada notices the tree relax that Kyros had spoken to and tries to do the same to another!

TROY FALLS A THOUSAND TIMES,
IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
LIKE A STAR BURNING OUT.)
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
They are neither willing nor unwilling as their roots are being tugged from their strangleholds; they merely are, heavy and solid, bleeding and raw. And all around them, the elegy continues, whispered by the surf and the wind and the swaying of the Mangroves.

As Kiada's voice sinks through the bark and into the tree, once again the roots relax—just a little, not enough to come untangled on their own, but it is almost as if the stand of trees began to sigh, to let go of tension.
the Rift
life from death

* Each round is 48 hours (give or take), and has no posting order. If you miss a round, don't worry - just post when you have a chance to! The round is open until Rift Presence posts again.
» Presence of the Rift «

Kyros the Hopebringer
Currently championing: Reszo
Kyros
His heart swelled with joy as the adults all seemed to accept him and his opinion. It was rare that one adult, let alone three, would take an interest in what a babe might have to say. It was nice being around others again and allowing himself to open up. Ilios had taught him well when it came to speaking up. One of the strangers was a pretty speckled mare that smiled at him like he thought a mother might. He smiled back feeling slightly shy towards her. He had never known a mother's love, and he didn't really want to start now. He turned his black gaze towards the stallion of the group. He noticed how they didn't give their own names, but filed it under being to preoccupied to think. His tiny tail flicked slightly as he pondered the stallion's opinion.

"My magic is it, it only burns plants." Killing the trees wouldn't help anything, and he had no intention of doing that. It was after he spoke to the trees that he noticed them relax. His eyes widened brightly as he turned to look at the adults. Kiada stepped up to him and gave voice to what he had done. His heart swelled with pride at the look she gave him. He turned back tot he trees and stroked them lightly with his muzzle. He stretched up as high as he could reach and ran his tender muzzle down the length of the trunk before following a piece of root cooing softly as he worked. "The Matron sent us all to help you out." He didn't know if that tidbit of information would really help them or not, but he didn't see why hide it.
-----------------------------
Talk
Words;; 288 sorry I made this one so short xD
image credits
- table by Niki -
{Image: GXaleou.png}{Image: 7fHJvV8.png} 
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
They seem to enjoy the gentle touch of Kyros's small nose, the cooing, almost singsong speech; whether it is the words or the way his breath falls on their bark is hard to tell, but the mangrove stand he's touching relaxes. It seems to sigh as it releases its terrible hold on itself, oozing sap from a place where it has rubbed itself raw and cut through.
the Rift
life from death

» Presence of the Rift «