This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Checkpoint: Alpha
Open The Pinnacle 
Raein
Currently championing:
as the sun set on another, you fell through dying dreams
I watch the girl flail inwardly with a bemused expression. Her uncertainty is clear, and maybe in this situation I could be considered a bully. I care little for that definition, though, so I refuse to accept it. I meant not to place Otem in a position where she looked inept, but I did wish to push her into a fully thorough examination of her goals. After all, if her idea was to bring everyone together to sing songs and be merry, she would be disappointed. I wanted to tell her to count me out of her roster, but still, I think I have much left to observe here, even if I have no intention of joining this strange little group.

Strangers rarely agree on anything, much less enough things to get along without conflict.

I do not notice the approach of the black pegasus until another individual addresses him. My misleadingly delicate face turns to view the newcomers with a bored expression, noticing how the stallion stands with a forced sort of confidence. The mare, however, is painted with vibrant patterns in a natural palette, decorated by flames and a strange teal ooze on her chest. Frankly, I hope she stays the hell away from me.

A large bird - a vulture, perhaps - comes to rest on her back from the sky, which causes a brow to raise on my face and my permanent frown to deepen. She introduces herself as Kiada, and I make a mental note of it but otherwise don't acknowledge her much. Aurelia, the golden mare who arrived before me, offers up a name, followed by the nervous dark stallion, Waker.

She praises the idea of Otem to form a meeting place, and I resist the urge to roll my eyes. Praise for nothing more than doing what these morons should have done from the start. Well, at least it's a step in the right direction. Before the loudmouthed golden girl speaks again, another stallion shows up but remains quiet near the edge of our gathering. He is clearly listening and waiting for the opportunity to interject something of value - an asset so far lacking from many of the comments made by the gathering thus far. Otem introduces him as Rixen, and I look around for a moment before realizing I would be rude not to at least offer my name.

"Raein," I say, my gaze scanning the group for a moment.

Though she is opinionated, Aurelia at least asks the right questions instead of falling back into empty praise. My teal eyes slowly hover back toward Otem, awaiting her response.

The young woman, true to her think-later-act-now personality, jumps into a demonstration of how magic can help.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Magic was a bedtime story in my old home; something you used to quiet children and force dreams upon them of better and greater things. Now, I've seen magic plenty of times since my arrival, but the quick little demonstration of Otem's still unnerves me quite a bit. I cock an ear back as she builds a... creature from the earth. Then, her voice interjects, unwelcome, into my mind. I resist the urge to snort and settle for simply looking displeased.

Does anyone else have magic?

I shake my head no, for I do not. Aside from the ball of hope following me like a lost puppy and the scars on my back, I am for all intents and purposes a regular horse. I have no fantasic coloring, no flames sprouting from my back, no ability to shape creatures from the earth, and no unnatural glimmering in the sunlight. Ordinary, normal.

Thankfully, Waker interjects with a more reasonable suggestion and clears my mind. He notes that the fire would have to be fairly large to see from far away. A set number of days sounds much better to me. The boy still speaks gently, as if he's not sure of himself completely. "That sounds more likely to work," I say, offering support to his suggestion. "Whether it's every quarter moon or some other period of time. Fancy pyres risk wildfires and attracting unwanted attention."
""
Raein

Messages In This Thread
Checkpoint: Alpha - by Otem - 12-23-2017, 09:01 PM
RE: Checkpoint: Alpha - by Aurelia - 12-24-2017, 12:50 AM
RE: Checkpoint: Alpha - by Otem - 12-24-2017, 05:53 PM
RE: Checkpoint: Alpha - by Aurelia - 12-26-2017, 05:58 AM
RE: Checkpoint: Alpha - by Raein - 12-27-2017, 06:19 PM
RE: Checkpoint: Alpha - by Waker - 12-28-2017, 06:34 PM
RE: Checkpoint: Alpha - by Kiada - 12-29-2017, 07:21 AM
RE: Checkpoint: Alpha - by Rixen - 12-29-2017, 07:40 PM
RE: Checkpoint: Alpha - by Aurelia - 12-31-2017, 12:26 AM