This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Guided Discussion : Absence, Companions, Magic
baylee
Currently championing:
FOR MAGIC! what if for categories you have two main categories and then subcategories within them that are more simple?

like conscious and subconscious?

conscious is when the character controls the magic! in this category, you could have all the categories like offensive/defensive magic, transformation magic, healing, crafting etc.

subconscious is when the character doesn't control the magic! in this category, you could have continuous and periodic? continuous being something that the character can't control like being constantly followed by fog or glowing dapples or sparkles or whatever that never turns off!  periodic would be something that is switched on/off by an outside element like having a character be set on fire when angry or their coat turning black when it gets wet or something like that

Examples: (using random magics from record pages)
- Amaris can summon fire-breathing dragon apparitions which would be classified by what ive suggested as conscious offensive magic.
- Oizys can transform into any creature by drinking its blood which would be conscious transformation magic
- Otem has golden dapples that glow faintly which would be a subconscious continuous magic.
- When Aurelia is angered her back hooves are set aflame with gold-edged, black flames that burn self and others which would be a subconscious periodic magic

with my system, however, conscious/subconscious can both be harmless or harmful so there would probably need to be some sort of restriction placed? like x amounts of conscious magic and x amounts of subconscious magic instead of just 8 max magics and unlimited vanity magics like we have now. I just think that using vanity magic vs magic is kind of confusing because it's hard to really understand where your magic would go but using conscious vs subconscious makes it very very clear. The subcategories periodic or continuous are also very self-explanatory and don't leave much to just guess about.

This is obviously just like a super rough idea about what direction we could go with magic, I don't expect y'all to be like wow bay amazing we use that! but i do think that simplifying everything into neater categories may really help. I've poured over the guidebook and I'm still not all that sure what the heck vanity magic is and why it's listed under items or not or why some stuff isn't really recorded and only shows up on profiles? i'm not sure, i just feel like things are indeed a touch confusing right now. (and i'm also not sure if you guys are open to completely revamping the magic system which is basically what i've suggested, but at least clearer categories would really help)

Active and passive could work but that system is very Helovian-like which may lead to confusion down the line if players from Helovia begin assuming what used to be passive on helovia would just be classified as passive here even though the way you've defined it is actually slightly different. I feel like we should steer clear of big helovian lingo like "active" and "passive" because it may literally just cause confusion, just my two cents.

ALSO SORRY THIS IS HELLA WORDY IM NOT GOOD AT CONDENSING MY THOUGHTS ;-;

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guided Discussion : Absence, Companions, Magic - by baylee - 01-07-2018, 07:24 AM