This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Guided Discussion : Absence, Companions, Magic
baylee
Currently championing:
absences;
i like boom's suggestion of characters being "placed as inactive if they have been absent for over 30+ days and failed to update their date of return." I think it's very reasonable.

companions;
i don't have any characters with companions right now here, but i like the idea of them going wild. the RF is definitely manageable for those that are active enough. i think it should stay as-is. and anyways, it will drive people to be more active to earn back their companion! i feel like the only people who would disagree with this are people that have much lower activity? or maybe if they are really attached to their companions, but it's not like the companion is dead or anything, they just have to re-earn them!

magic;
i like odd's suggestion of displaying the levels on character's profile! i also think in addition to having vanity magic on the profile if we just have all magic on character's profiles? i dunno, it just feels like something is missing. i just dont understand how (for example) Taivas's glowing aura is mentioned in his profile, but aurelia's sparkles aren't? i put aurelia's magic in the miscellaneous category because i felt like it was an important thing to mention somewhere in her profile. im dumb and didn't understand that there were tabs lmfao. ;-;

i like the classifications you have set up (such as offensive/defensive/healing/immortality) i think that's all great and a fresh take on magic classifications!

the restrictions are pretty hefty, however. I'm going to bring up one specific kind of magic and just use that to explain what im trying to say:
For level 1 mental offensive magic, the effects only last 2 seconds. you can't really do anything with that- in a normal thread OR in a fight. and then when you work all the way up to level 10, you only get 7 seconds? i guess the addition of two more horses you can target is helpful, but the duration is so short that magic is almost not even worth earning. in helovia, the restrictions were rather lenient and it allowed the players to create so many unique situations with it. aurelia could completely combust for however long in normal threads, and she often did to stir drama. she tried to cause several wildfires. she tried to burn about 10 or so horses in the hidden falls one time. and so so much more. these events would never have happened under these restrictions. 7 seconds would never have been enough time for either of those events or any of the others to take place, which would have closed the door to such an important character arc for aurelia. for fighting, the restrictions are much more reasonable, but still rather strict. maybe if level 10 was ten seconds instead of seven.. if all the magics' restrictions were just loosened slightly (even just by three seconds) i think it would be so much more reasonable.

furthermore, i saw that for some categories of magic, leveling up doesn't even change your magic in any way? levels 3-5 restrictions for offensive mental and continuous magic are all the same- nothing changes when you level up.  level 6-9 restrictions for offensive mental and continuous magic also remain the same. levels 5-7 and then 8-10 for partial transformation restrictions also don't change. these are just the ones i found by skimming very quickly, but it's just kind of aggravating to know that if i work hard to level my magic that someone with a magic sevel levels under me has the same restrictions?

im sorry i had a lot to say about magic, but it's just because magic has become such a huge part of my characters and its such a fun aspect to writing ;-;

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guided Discussion : Absence, Companions, Magic - by baylee - 12-25-2017, 10:21 PM