This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
gets hard just to see your heart
Open Ultima 
Cassius
Currently championing:

CASSIUS

Drumming sounds of the rain play in his ear. Melting together, lost in one singular cacophony that has since invaded his mind. Cassius forgets how to make light conversation; the desire leaves him when the shadows bear teeth. And every wrong step, misplaced direction threatens his daughter.  He casts his eyes upon her small, fragile frame below him. She follows along diligently, her gaze glancing into the depths that – so far – remain at the edges of their combined presence.

A lengthy sigh wisps soundlessly from the stallion’s gray lips. The time is against him. Like all other newborns, Noelle requires the concentrated nutrients and energy of milk, and the dryness offered by shelter. He fears she will fade, like her mother – though perhaps by the cruel method of starvation or hypothermia. No child should experience life in such short means; and if he cannot provide these basic necessities, there will be nothing left to salvage.

He must find food and shelter. There is no other option; and that option involves a lot of walking. The coast isn’t exactly the warmest of welcomes. The waters are angry where they break out from the trees, and all the dangers that invisibly stalk them are present in the waves that crash and lurch back with a powerful, unforgiveable force.

“Ah!” Before the girl can step any closer, he blocks her path. Shielding her, protecting her from any foolish mistakes. “Not yet. The ocean is unpredictable...” He uses words too big for her understanding, not realizing it. The excitement leaves her face, falling asunder into the stoic, expressionless façade – understanding him, nonetheless. She nods, but her gaze lingers out to the horizon. To the unfolding world and its beauty – how can she distinguish the good from the bad?

“Come Noëlle.” He waits for her. Surveying the rocky terrain for any potential hiding spots, or areas that might put them at a disadvantage: high ledges, deep entrances, and few exits. There are many, and he rumbles to her in haste. She drifts back, her thoughts hidden behind her glassy eyes with her head down.

The rain is slanted, and beats down on him from his left side. In this respect, he can at least shield the girl. It isn’t perfect, but it’s something – and its enough hope to keep the speckled stallion moving on.

They come upon the glassy opening. It’s suspicious, not an easy choice from the first look of it. What’s on the other end? The filly teeters closer to it, nose outstretched – leading a tentative charge. And before he can warn her from getting too close, she snaps back with wide, open eyes. “It dry?”

He wished he knew for sure. “Maybe…” His tail wags uneasily, undulating with tense, contrite waves. The stallion lifts his gaze, searching for an alternative that might lie in close vicinity. But the rocks offer no reprieves, and the forest waits on the edges. “Noëlle. I want you to stay behind when we enter the cave. If there’s anything, people, animals… You stay back. And if I tell you to run, run the way we came. And find somewhere to hide.” He paused. “Do you understand?”

“Yes papa.”

“Tell me.”

“Stay back. No matter... – what.” She frowned as she thought about the last bit. With a defeated sigh, she continued. “An’ run. Run and hide…”

“Good…” He rumbled, offering her a gentle kiss between her ears. Brief, simple, before he set forth into the cavern.

Image Credits

[open! please join us, friend or foe ;3 ]
Moä Te
Currently championing:

you lose yourself

trying to hold on to nothing

The rain pounded against her, dimming her glow and drenching her locks.  Her eyes squinted, straining to see against the tyranny of the storm.With a shake of her dripping mane, she moved forward, sloshing through the mud until the ivory markings that crawl up her legs were unrecognizable. Still, a smile rested upon her lips.  It was moments like this, were there wasn't a soul in sight, that reminded her of the time before the portal opened.  Before Helovians poured out of the sky and into her home. It felt like the past few days have aged her more then her two years alone had, and she had to realize things about herself that she hadn't thought about before.

It was almost like she felt sorry for them, but if her fellow natives knew that she would be beaten, or worse.  Part of her wanted them to just go away, back to where ever they came from. But she knew that they were stranded here, and if anyone knows what it is like to be stranded....She had wandered, lost in her thoughts, until a freezing chill shuddered down her spine.  It was time to shelter herself from the downpour, so she headed for the emerald caverns, hoping that they were empty.  Her foot falls echoed against the walls, a distinct clip-clop that announced her presence.

Finding a dry spot, she shook her coat, the dangling orbs hanging from her spines clanking together.  Satisfied that she was as dry as could be at the moment, her knees bent and lowered her stocky body to the ground.  Her shoulders leaned against the cool wall and her eyes closed, the wear of trudging through the storm overcoming her.  But she didn't sleep.  There was a noise, a distinct noise of someone entering the cave, and she sighed.  Opening her heavy eyes, she waited for the newcomer to come into view.

The grey stallion was not native, at least that she could tell.  It seemed that the Helovians had a certain look about them, or maybe an aura?  Either way, she was convinced that he had fallen.  Her first impression was not of malice, and it helped that a small foal followed behind him.  Her ears flicked forward, then back, an air of nervousness surrounding her.  All she really knew about these invaders was the rumors that were floating from native to native.  How reliable could that be?  She remained down, letting her ears fall into a neutral position as she softly nickered and let out a small hello to announce herself.  Not that the bright orbs upon her back were announcement enough.  She reminded herself to be polite, and decided to at least sit up straight.  Pushing her forelegs up, she sat much like a canine, waiting to find out if the stallion and his little companion seeked anything else but shelter from the weather.

485 . @Cassius  . notes: She is more friend then foe :)

Noëlle
Currently championing:

Noëlle & Cassius

Despite father’s warnings, the girl is mesmerized by the ocean’s beauty. Who knew something so dangerous and unpredictable, could look so beautiful. A whole world awaits them beyond the strange, clear barrier. There are creatures with all sorts of shapes that fly and dance in the waters, together or alone, or packed and hidden into tiny crevasses.

“Papa…” About to question her father of these discoveries, she is overwhelmed by what lies ahead. Each new stranger that greets them sends an unpredictable spike of awareness. One that makes every sound louder than it should be, every touch intense, while her heart gives to chase something she cannot run from. She moves closer to the stallion, presses against his side – hoping, praying, that she won’t have to evacuate without him.

Her father gives the mare room. Stopping and dipping his head in greetings, wet, silk locks strung together in wet clumps shift and rearrange with his movement. “Hello,” he says in return. His melodic voice rather neutral, bland, as his honeyed eyes take in the stranger’s features. Noëlle can’t tell whether the stranger is friend or foe. She rather takes a liking to the orbs instead. Smiling softly at how they glowed; it wasn’t bright and painful, like some lights she had noticed.

“Are we intruding?” Father’s voice tends to slow the child’s erratic heart. She doesn’t understand how he can level his tongue, when there are dangers at every corner. Perhaps this mare might block their path, perhaps this was already her home… perhaps she would cast them out like a pair of pests. She sighed quietly through her nostrils, focusing on the orbs instead – and how they seemed to compliment the patches of colour on her coat.

“I must find shelter for my little one…” It was less of a statement, and more of a plea from her father - Noëlle could not distinguish the slight change in his tone then. It did however cause her to shift those blue eyes on him. His face was worn, no longer contrite – it’d been too long, and the muscles in his face could not sustain a frown. She shivered briefly, and wondered if he could smile like her mother had – if Noëlle could recall correctly. It was an expression that caused one to upturn their lips, to expel a funny sound at times. Sometimes it made other people do it too, it was infectious like sneezes. And a lot more enjoyable than the coughs she couldn’t help from escaping her lips.

She coughed just then, with a sniffle. And peaked out at the stranger, saying, “Why do they glow like that?” Pausing only briefly. “I’m… I’m Noëlle.”

It was an urge that overcame her, to share names and cut past the desperate air that filled her father’s lungs. And that which expelled with their noticeable fatigue. Her name made her powerful, and filled her with a bittersweet longing to see her mother. As long as she kept saying her own name, it’d remind her of those cherished moments, the seconds and minutes she’d entered the world with her mother.

The girl beamed, and shyly nuzzled her father’s leg. Trying to avoid her father’s eyes.
--

@Moä Te  ooc:: sorry for the lateness. was working, but I have a few days off now. :3
Moä Te
Currently championing:

you lose yourself

trying to hold on to nothing

They seem...lost.  The stallion even more so then the little one that clung to his side.  Her ears pricked forward at his greeting, a tired smile forming to reciprocate. With a huff, she pulled herself to her feet.  She can at least stand to speak with the strangers.  Are we intruding?  She again smiled, her head slightly shaking.  "Of course not.  Come, there is plenty of room."  She motioned for them to join her as she stretched her legs and bent then again.  Her body gracefully landed on the ground once again.  She could just see the faces of her brothers and sisters of the Rift, the horror of her laying down in the presence of...well she had to guess that they were Helovian.  She certainly hasn't seen them before.

The stallion spoke again, a plead for shelter.  "Well, I won't certainly throw you out.  I was seeking it too.  So, who are-" Her words were interrupted by the filly's cough.  Her brow furrowed, concern turning her thoughts from who they were to helping the foal.  "Child, is that the start of a cold or something more? Either way, don't stifle the cough.  Hack out whatever it is that ails you." Her crown shifted, glancing at the blue orbs that the filly questioned, a chuckle echoing off of the crystal walls.  "It's magic.  Their glow gives me the strength to bring peace to the minds of others.  Unfortunately, I can't heal physical wounds, but I can help with whatever else.  Plus they are good for stormy nights like tonight, very soothing and almost warm.

"I am Moä Te, but all call me Moä.  You have a pretty name Noëlle."  She turned from the foal to her sire, her eyes soft from speaking with the filly.  "So, what do I call you?"

303 . @Cassius @Noëlle   . notes: Thas all good.  I know how work goes