This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
stress w rp
ali
Currently championing: None
omg, i know what you mean. i do the same thing sometimes and it can be really frustrating when you put a lot of time and effort into coming up with a concept for a character and then you just don't click with it. happened to me with Mauja and it was really upsetting. then sometimes you'll just throw a design together and not have any idea about their personality or what kind of goals they'll have and they just come to life. this happened to me with Ktulu and Ranjiri and they're some of my longest played characters.

i find what works for me is just not over thinking it. i experiment with different writing styles, personality traits, dreams and goals and see what seems to fit the character as i write them. if something doesn't work i just drop it and try something else until i find whatever works for that character. sometimes stepping away for a few days before coming back and working on a particular character works because you're looking at them with a fresh mind and fresh eyes. i know some people use music and mood boards to get into character/ whatever mood they need to be in to respond to a thread.

i also know what you mean about being critical about your writing. i catch myself being critical sometimes and worrying that my posts aren't up to par with everyone else's. but then i click "post" and tell myself that the deed is done and there is no going back :P

i hope you find something that works for you!

also, don't be afraid to reach out to people with established characters for plots! everyone here is really nice and accommodating and generally willing to plot.

and picking up on what Noella said about letting your characters develop themselves. my character, Ktulu, has never been much of a 'mother' to foals that weren't her own and then she went and adopted Noella's orphaned filly. i didn't expect it would work out like it did (or well at all), it surprised me, and i love it :D

Messages In This Thread
stress w rp - by Rheena - 07-18-2017, 09:21 PM
RE: stress w rp - by Noella - 07-18-2017, 09:34 PM
RE: stress w rp - by ali - 07-18-2017, 09:35 PM
RE: stress w rp - by Chan - 07-19-2017, 12:15 AM
RE: stress w rp - by Neowulf - 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM
RE: stress w rp - by Neowulf - 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM
RE: stress w rp - by Bunnie - 07-19-2017, 01:43 PM
RE: stress w rp - by M.E.Smithers - 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: stress w rp - by Rheena - 08-01-2017, 05:37 AM