This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
stress w rp
Noella
Currently championing:
So I totally understand where your coming from! Hopefully, at least. I think that it's easy to come with a new or newer character and try to compare them to these characters who have been around forever, who have a lot of relationships and history and power, and to look at your own character and wonder what you're doing wrong. Eventually with enough time put in, your characters will begin to flourish. I know when I first started, I knew who I wanted Ki'irha to be, so it was tough having this bare bones character with no magic/items/companions/etc and try to put them up against a character played by someone who has been at this for 5+ years. But if you put in the time (that's why I adore the 'love your character' rules), you'll get there!

And in terms of criticisms, don't! Again, it's easy to compare your writing to other peoples, but you shouldn't! There are so many different levels of writing here, it helps add to the magic. It's easy to be super self critical, but just relax and let the writing happen. Honestly, once I stopped trying to force Ki'irha to go down the path I wanted her to go down (she was originally meant to be a super unicorn pride racist who was cold and bitter and hated everyone who was different, and now look at her, spitting out babies with wings and stuff), she became easier to write, because I just let her do and say whatever. I learned her character, and it took a lot of time to figure out who I wanted her to be and where I wanted her to end up. Don't try to force your characters to be something, when you can allow so much character growth by letting them do whatever! Have them make friends, be vulnerable, fight someone scary, go on adventures, and use other people's characters to figure out who your character is.

And, if all of that fails, take a break. sometimes you just need to take a big step back and let the muse collect.

Messages In This Thread
stress w rp - by Rheena - 07-18-2017, 09:21 PM
RE: stress w rp - by Noella - 07-18-2017, 09:34 PM
RE: stress w rp - by ali - 07-18-2017, 09:35 PM
RE: stress w rp - by Chan - 07-19-2017, 12:15 AM
RE: stress w rp - by Neowulf - 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM
RE: stress w rp - by Neowulf - 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM
RE: stress w rp - by Bunnie - 07-19-2017, 01:43 PM
RE: stress w rp - by M.E.Smithers - 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: stress w rp - by Rheena - 08-01-2017, 05:37 AM