This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
[SWP] Dark Days
Open Mangrove Tidepools 
Rixen the Vine King
Currently championing: Vjanta
RIXEN
i have late night conversations with the moon;

"Then speaking to them is worth a try." I nodded at Kiada and Kyros, after watching both of them manage to have some success using their words. The branches of the trees they'd spoken to seemed to relax their tight holds ever so slightly. Maybe if we all pitched in they'd untangle entirely. Magic, the original solution I'd suggested wouldn't work. For one, I had no magic to use. Second, none of us had magic that could actually help the mangroves. 

Turning toward the nearest mangrove, I began to speak to it in a gentle tone that was still rather singsong-y: 

"I see you weary
But know you are strong,
I’ll sooth your branches
With some song.

I see your life
Still holding on,
And I will help
Don’t fret for long.

Talking to a tree was kind of silly. But if it would save the mangroves from death and mend the Rift, then I would do whatever it took. When I finished what I had to say, I stepped back from the tree, watching it with forward-pricked ears to see whether my words would have any effect on the knots.  

"Talk."

he tells me about the sun
and I tell him about you.

img
{Image: untitled_drawing_by_indelyde-dceus9t.png}
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
They're enthralled by Rixen's gentle, singsong voice—like the whole stand in front of him holds its breath in a way that is different, their restless tugging and chafing and tightening momentarily put on hold. Only the wind ruffles their leaves and pulls on loose tendrils.

Once his voice fades into silence, the cluster of trees sigh, their branches and roots relaxing, the knots coming undone. The swaying of their green crowns seems to murmur something; is it just imagination, or does it sound a little like the song they were just sung..?

Regardless, there are more trees who are still in need of help.
the Rift
life from death

* Each round is 48 hours (give or take), and has no posting order. If you miss a round, don't worry - just post when you have a chance to! The round is open until Rift Presence posts again.
* New characters are always welcome to join the plot
* If you find the pace too high, let us know, and we'll slow down!
* Posts are encouraged to be 400 words or less.
» Presence of the Rift «

Explorer Kiada
KIADA
I am unworthy but I will build and break
and destroy and create for you

She watched, eyes flickering from branch to branch as she spoke and the branches seemed to relax. Yet there was still some issue with them being tangled. Luckily for her, as she spoke, Khairi did his best to try and untangle the relaxed branches from strangling one another. After a few moments, she glanced around to see Kyros speaking to another, and watching the one he touched relax. It seemed to be working, and was far faster than forcing them to untangle the branches that had already cut into one another. Sadness bloomed in Kiada’s chest as she spotted the ooze leaking from the tree from where it had been held by the other.

Then, her attention drifted back to Rixen as it usually somehow did. His voice rang out, in a singsong tone as he allowed his voice to caress the Mangroves. Her ears flicked forward, her attention on him and the tree, the cluster of trees seemed to sigh – even the wind that passed through their foliage seemed to repeat the song Rixen had spoke. Curious, she turned her attention back to the cluster she stood by. Did they need to sing to them? She wasn’t much of a singer, honestly, but she’d never truly tried. She remembered the little songs her mother sang to her, ones of stories of her homeland, of Halyven before corruption and chaos descended on the land taking everything with it. She wondered if they’d still work, even being specifically from Halyven, would the ideas still work here so long as she followed the same tune? With a deep breath, she closed her eyes to the cluster of trees she stood in front of as she reached into the deepest parts of her mind.

Perhaps this relates to the troubles you face,
For long ago there was a queen who loved her Kingdom so fierce,
There was nothing that could take it from her.
She was a warrior, a queen, a lover, a mother.

But darkness descended upon her kingdom, a dark oily sheen.
Something that couldn’t be unseen.
And she tried and tried, for many years, to fix the problem.
When finally, after so many years, the willow trees blossomed.

The queen knew it was a sign, a sign that there was something far darker below.
And that’s when the queen finally arose.
She raised herself as blood, steel, and wind.
A fire that couldn’t be put out, for she flew with ivory wings.

She took the blossoms, the sign, to face the darkness that swallowed her home.
And she faced the darkness in the ashes, in the remnants of where her fire roamed.
She took the steel and fought the shadows,
Until all that remained were the field full of willows.

Light returned to her kingdom, to her life.
And she found more love than she could inspire.
Rumor has it the willows still sing,
The battle between fire and demons on the breeze.

She finished the tale, her eyes opening to survey the cluster of trees before her, hopeful that she could see them relax further.

"Talk."

for you, i kneel. for you, anything.
everything, always

img

She sings a song of Halyven to the cluster of trees before her!

TROY FALLS A THOUSAND TIMES,
IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
LIKE A STAR BURNING OUT.)
Kyros the Hopebringer
Currently championing: Reszo
Kyros
He watched happily as the tress finally untangled themselves. He smiled sadly at them, "I'm sorry you're hurt, maybe I can cover the wounds with some leaves." He looked down at his hooves and saw the spent leaves that had fallen from them. he picked a mouth full up and carefully placed them over the oozing sores pressing them firmly, but gently in place. Once he was satisfied he looked up to see what the others were doing. The stallion seemed to have figured it out as well. His tiny ears pricked forward excitedly to catch his song. When he was finished he smiled brightly as the trees spread apart and swayed. The leaves made a sound, mimicking what the male had just sung to them. His eyes brightened, they were intelligent! He grinned brightly before it turned sad. "Poor things, they must be so scared..."

He sighed heavily blinking quickly trying to keep the tears at bay. He turned as Kiada started to sing as well. He listened intently taking the story to heart. When she had finished he watched her trees for a moment before taking a deep breath and turning to face the whole mangrove not just one bunch. "Maybe if we sing to all of them it'll go faster?" He paused looking between the adults hope blazing in his eyes.

He didn't know any songs, his family had either left him or died before he had been taught anything. He opened his mouth several times knowing what he wanted to sing but a lump had formed in the colts throat. Kyros swallowed hard forcing the lump down. He closed his eyes so he wouldn't have to watch the adult's faces.

"You were born and left alone.
You watched them all leave,
In more ways than one
Now you are alone and scared.
Hush now dear one,
I will never leave.
I will hold you in my heart,
As they once held you in theirs.
Though their flesh is gone,
They are still around.
Hush now dear one,
Let peace fill you like a river.
Hush now dear one..."

He hummed allowing his words to linger in the air. Finally he opened his eyes tears seeping from his black eyes leaving trails over his soft grulla face. He tired not to look at the others but he couldn't help himself. He glanced up meeting their eyes for a minute before looking back at the trees.
-----------------------------
Talk
Words;; 406
image credits
- table by Niki -
{Image: GXaleou.png}{Image: 7fHJvV8.png} 
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
The trees all listen, drinking in the stories of past and present—the songs seep through their bark into their wood, quickening in the sap, and somehow.. everything goes silent; there's just the whisper of the surf on the beach, and the faint repetition of Rixen's song, but the moaning, the slow, sad crying, has been silenced.

As Kiada's voice fades another sigh ripple through the trees, roots and branches untangling, the leaves and the breeze whispering the melody of the Halyven song as a strange backdrop when Kyros adds his thin, youthful voice to their memory.

His song is a sad one, and as he, too, falls silent, the trees take up the rhythm. Like a ripple on a pond the trees release one another, waving gently in the ocean breeze—should you listen for it, you won't hear it, but it's in the spaces between the waves, hidden in the rustling of their leaves. They keep on singing your songs, to themselves, to each other, and as the minutes tick by the air of oppression is lifted, replaced with one of lightness; hope.
the Rift
life from death

Hope has been restored to the Mangrove Tidepools!

* Each round is 48 hours (give or take), and has no posting order. If you miss a round, don't worry - just post when you have a chance to! The round is open until Rift Presence posts again.
* New characters are always welcome to join the plot
* If you find the pace too high, let us know, and we'll slow down!
* Posts are encouraged to be 400 words or less.
» Presence of the Rift «

Rixen the Vine King
RIXEN
i have late night conversations with the moon;

When I finished my song, a large cluster of tightly-knotted branched loosened their death-grips on one another. The effect my voice had on them came as a surprise to me, but perhaps this was what we needed to do. I watched as Kiada stepped forward, and began to do the same. Her voice was smooth and clear and quiet yet powerful. Soothing, in a way. I hoped the mangroves would agree, and that the charm of her song would help them. Kyros had also been watching our attempts. At the colt's suggestion, I nodded. "That sounds like a good idea. There's no reason we shouldn't give it a try." Kyros's voice rolled over us in sorrowful waves, and I noticed the tears forming in the corners of his eyes as his lips moved. It took a few moments for him to look up in our direction, almost like he was feeling shy. I met his gaze with a reassuring smile. 

Without delay, I turned to another patch of mangroves and cooed my melody to them. As we sang I noticed a change in the trees. They seemed to perk up as our voices filled the air with song. Slowly, the bark-covered arms loosened their holds on one another. The mangroves could breathe again. They were alive. Even the color was restored to the dying branches and they curled upward once more, glowing with the vibrancy of life. I breathed a sigh of relief with them, and looking to the other horses surrounding me, I couldn't help but smile even wider than before. Something told me we'd brought the mangroves hope at last. 

"Talk."

he tells me about the sun
and I tell him about you.

img
{Image: untitled_drawing_by_indelyde-dceus9t.png}
Explorer Kiada
KIADA
I am unworthy but I will build and break
and destroy and create for you

Her song finished, and she glanced swiftly to Rixen until Kyros’ voice brought up his idea of everyone singing to them at once. Before she had a chance to speak, she heard Rixen say that it was a good idea, and she found her inky head bobbing along in agreement. “Anything is worth a try.” She murmured to all those gathered, smiling encouragingly at Kyros. Then, he sang, a mournful song that was as beautiful as it was heartbreaking. She watched him for a long moment, forgetting momentarily about her mangroves and the task to simply watch. But then, Rixen had smiled at Kyros and she offered him a small smile before turning to her own, singing with everyone gathered in their own little tunes.

Soon enough, the trees released their grip on one another, their branches returning to normal and waving gently in the breeze, as though a collective sigh had been released. She wondered if they, too, like the willows of her song, would sing their songs for the rest of time. But she didn’t dwell on it long, she looked to Kyros before approaching him and aiming to press her muzzle gently along his shoulder in encouragement as a wide smile crossed her lips. “We did it Kyros!” She offered to him, hoping he’d smile through the tears that had stained his cheeks before. Then, looking to Rixen she offered him a wide grin, too, and made to head back to the Matron.

"Talk."

for you, i kneel. for you, anything.
everything, always

img

<333

TROY FALLS A THOUSAND TIMES,
IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
LIKE A STAR BURNING OUT.)
Kyros the Hopebringer
Currently championing: Reszo
The colt smiled at the other two as they agreed to try his way. Once his song was done and he looked at the others he thought he would see pity in their eyes. Instead the stripped man smiled warmly at him and he had to fight back another rush of tears. He smiled softly at the stallion. Swallowing hard he looked up at the golden lady. She was looking at him intently and offered him a small smile. Did she realize he was singing from his own memories? Something told him that the stud had no idea where the words had come from, but he was sure Kiada had some idea. He looked away from her face trying to swallow passed the painful lump in his throat.

He turned and sang with Kiada once more and watched as their words worked magic on the trees. Hope flared in his breast as he watched the trees spread apart. He sighed deeply trying to release his own fear and sorrow. He closed his eyes breathing deep for the first time since his father had died trying to save him. A warm muzzle pressed against his shoulder and he turned to smile at the beautiful mare. "Thank you Kiada." He whispered softly to her his black eyes shinning brightly with his new found joy. He was finally free of the past. He knew he would be able to move on now and be happy. "We did do it didn't we!" He grinned brightly then looking at both horses before trotting after Kiada.
-----------------------------
Talk
Words;; 260 Kyros is out
image credits
- table by Niki -
{Image: GXaleou.png}{Image: 7fHJvV8.png}