This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Sweat and Stone
Trial Ultima 
K'yarie the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
She felt like a foolish filly with her first crush, carving her name into the walls of ultima. All she needed was a hopeful colt and the scene would be perfect. But she was not some young, dumb girl and she was not with a stallion carving their love into a stone wall for all to see. No, she was alone, fulfilling a trial given to her by the Rift. It was a rather silly as she pounded her hoof against the hard, stone wall. Chipping away at it to form the last letter of her name.

This was so immature, yet she was here doing it anyways. All because she wished to advance her powers. At least her task was simple. Though she honestly would have preferred something other than the last two things she would be required to do. Convincing someone to steal from someone and then adding them in the act was not her cup of tea. But the Rift wanted what the Rift wanted. So she'd fulfill it request in order for it to grant her's.

Which was why she was now desecrating one of the walls of Ultima. Her dark body gleamed with sweat, her ebony pelt shinning in the blue light cast by the sea beyond the clear wall, accentuating her muscles and curves. Faint forms of stars twinkled in her daytime pelt and her mane swayed and flowed with each powerful thrust of her foreleg. With a grunt of satisfaction she stepped back from her work to gaze upon it. It jagged, uneven letters that formed her name. K'yarie. It was not perfect, but it would do.

talk talk talk talk
The moon bathes her in love
the stars kiss her skin
and the shadows bow at her feet.
As the sun looks on with jealousy.
K'yarie
image credit to Azteca @ deviantart.com

One of K'yarie's trials is to carve her name into the walls of Ultima.
Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

It was nearly impossible to move silently through the caves. Unless one had moss covering one's hooves, the sound was difficult to muffle, and traveled down the smoothish walls of the caves quite easily. Otem, who normally mumbled to herself quite frequently, almost dared not to do so in the caves, for fear of her one-sided conversations traveling much farther than she had ever intended them too.

Up ahead she heard what sounded like a throat being cleared. Ears pricked, wondering if perhaps it was Roscorro again, Otem advanced with her ball of hope providing ample light as she navigated the dense crystalline pathways. However it was not the giant she had met before, but the starry mare. Immediately the childish rivalry Otem had felt before when she had met K'yarie on their way to the Metus flared its ugly head, and Otem felt a scowl begin to creep across her features. Biting the inside of her lip, Otem forced her face back into a neutral expression, before taking a breath and moving forward.

"What are you doing?" She asked, skepticism seeping into her voice as her bi-coloured gaze fell upon the word loosely carved into the crystal. She hadn't known the mare's name until this point, but assumed that that was what the word K'yarie was meant to represent.

Why would anyone write their name here? Otem mentally asked Pandora, who sat silently on the girl's wither. Why would anyone care?

otem

I'm a cold day in august, I'm a stream too shallow.
I'm a heart-shaped box with no letter inside.
Image Credits

idk why Otem decided to hate K'yarie, so I figured I'd give her a chance to get over it :P

You may always use magic/force on/against Otem.
K'yarie the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

"What are you doing?"

Her ear flicked towards the familiar voice that drifted towards her in the blue light of the cave. Tilting her head to look at the younger mare with a violet gaze. "A trial." She answered, her voice soft as silk as she cocked her head to examine her work. "The Rift can ask strange things of those hoping to gain its blessing" She shifted uncomfortably, the goo that had descended over her body cracking with the movement. "And it covered me in this disgusting stuff. It is laughing at me, no doubt. She looked at Otem fully now, a smile touching her lips. Unlike the girl before her, she held no ill feelings towards Otem.

She was a little bit over eager to brag about her accomplishments. Then became upset when K'yarie had praised her accomplishment before pointing out that the dragon-horse had also met the metus. But she expected this sort of behavior from young horses. Impulsive. Eager to gain attention. Growing, evolving, learning. She was sure that as time passed Otem would change. How she would change and if that change would be fore the better has yet to be seen. But Otem would change as surely as the Rift discarded and collected pieces of other worlds.

So she did not hold her behavior against her. After all she could have easily become just as offended. Her words had been less than tactful, though her tone has been impressed rather than condescending. It was quite the achievement to encounter and escape the Metus twice. An honor to have it speak to you. But the past was past. It seemed at least she was willing to be civil with her. So perhaps they could form some sort of... positive relationship? "I'm sorry, I never formally introduce myself. Though it would seem I no longer have to." Again she smiled as she glanced at her name carved into the wall. "It is a pleasure to formally meet you..." She left the sentence hanging. She had never actually caught the girl's name.

talk talk talk talk
the stars kiss her skin
K'yarie

@Otem
Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

A trial. Well that certainly made sense. Despite her misgivings about the mare before her, Otem found herself nodding in agreement. The Rift had asked her to complete a number of seemingly arduous and pointless tasks, though luckily she'd never had to endure any real physical changes, as K'yarie apparently had. The worst she'd ever had to suffer was when her hooves felt as though they were made out of lead, but at least she could hide that easily enough.

Still, part of her internally bristled. The Rift had never asked her to do anything as permanent as carving her name into a cave wall. K'yarie's name would now be visible to all, at least until something or some natural process wiped it away. Feeling protective of her relationship with the Rift, Otem silently mused whether or not there was some meaning she should be taking from this.

"I'm Otem. Nice to meet you too." The sap and soil coloured girl responded immediately.
"So all you needed to do was carve your name here? What else did the Rift ask you to do?" Genuinely curious to know what sort of trials were given out to others, Otem took a step forward, ears perked to catch the mare's words.

otem

Image Credits

blahh garbage post. sorry x.x

K'yarie the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
"The pleasure is all mine." K'yarie replied with a title of her chin. The young lass seemed quite interested in the trial she was undertaking. Like she would have been if their roles were reversed. Though she had never encountered someone. Though she had been taught to hold trials in a somewhat sacred air, she had never been one to respect customs. Though she had never actually asked someone what trials they were going through, in case they were natives that saw it as a personal matter that ought not be pried into.

"The Rift gives out random trials. Normally they don't make sense, or correlate with one another. Rarely do they fit the horse they are given to. Random and unpredictable. But oddly enough, my next two trials work together quite nicely. Though I do not fancy doing them."

She paused, her head tilting to look back at her handy work. "The Rift has asked me to convince someone to steal something, as well as aid someone in the act of robbing another." She watched the fall clothed mare out of the corner of her eye. Curious to see how she would react upon hearing what she had to say. Would she shy away at the thought of taking an item from another? Or stay and lecture her. Perhaps she had found the horse to aid her in her little task? Though she doubted that she could string these two trials together. Her mother told her that she had to finish one trial first before she could launch into the next stage. What a bother.

Just because she could manipulate someone did not always mean that she cared to. But she had so much to gain from completing these trials that she was not about to bow just because the next two were a little morally screwed. At least it was not asking her to kill anything or commit some other vile act. Theft was not as irrevocable as slaying one of the creatures of the Rift. Plus, she already knew whos he would steal from. She'd give the item back, eventually. So long as her would be thief let her keep the item in question. Oh yes, she would have a whole lot of fun with this trial.

talk talk talk talk
the stars kiss her skin
K'yarie

@Otem
Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

Random? Otem felt simultaneously crestfallen and disbelieving. She had always thought of the Rift as something almost sentient. Perhaps not precisely the sort of sentience that she had, but certainly more so than any particular tree or bush had. The Rift was a thing, it wasn't just the name of this place. If it could bestow magic and gifts, why think the trials were random? Oh sure, so far Otem had to do some strange things, but she always thought there had been a purpose behind it. Without any more justification than her gut instincts to support her conclusion, Otem kept silent about her differing beliefs, and merely shrugged as K'yarie continued speaking.

"Convince someone to steal something? And help someone else?" Pondering for a moment, Otem looked even more confused. "Those almost sound like the same thing." Was there some subtle difference she wasn't picking up? Or had the Rift simply given the pretty equine an easier task?

Otem's mind returned to when she had stolen Iskra's blade. She had been meaning to give it back to him immediately, but then they'd gotten sidetracked, and since then she hadn't seen her lightning friend. Looking down at the necklace around her neck, Otem looked back towards K'yarie. "I suppose it isn't really stealing if I were to say you could take something from me, huh? So what are you going to do?"

otem

Image Credits

K'yarie the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
It wasn't that she thought the Rift was not sentient or that it did not feel that it needed what ever they were doing. But putting scenarios behind some random roll wouldn't mean that it was incapable of thought. Just that it liked to mess with people more, and pure randomization can make things all the more interesting. But like Otem, she was not interesting in getting in a debate about their beliefs.

"It does. But I won't complain, it makes my life easier." She said. Then she laughed, her voice as clear as a bell. "No, I suppose it would not. Thank you for the offer though." She nodded, truly appreciating the gesture. "I have another target in mind. A friend I greatly enjoy teasing. I'll hang onto the item for a little bit, hold it over his head, then give it back to him." Oh yes, she would have her fun with Watcher if all went as planned. But she had to find someone to convince to steal from her fellow native.

talk talk talk talk
the stars kiss her skin
K'yarie

@Otem
Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

"Oh right, of course." Otem mumbled, feeling foolish. She'd never even considered the idea that K'yarie could just give back whatever had been taken. That would certainly take much of the moral sting out of what the Rift had asked the mare to do. Then again, if the Rift was the governing moral body here and it asked you to steal ... did that really make stealing bad? If it was necessary, could you be punished for doing it?

Otem wasn't entirely sure, but made a mental note to think more about it in the future, just in case the Rift asked her to do something else similar.

Looking towards the crystal wall, Otem assumed that this part of K'yarie's trial was now complete, and that she would be continuing on. Still feeling a bit of residual awkwardness because of her feelings towards the mare when they were journeying to find the Metus, Otem thought that perhaps she should extend an olive branch, in case the mare had picked up on her misgivings. "A few of us have started...well, it isn't a herd, not an official one or anything. But we've all sort of gathered and agreed to help out each other and share information. We're going to meet in Halyven during the next half moon. Until then if anyone should find useful items or things, they're going to keep them in the ruins. You're more than welcome to join us. I don't know what herds were like from where you came from, but we don't exactly stand for anything yet. We mostly just want to share information and not lose track of one another."

Otem's shoulders rose and fell as she began to gradually move herself over a few steps so that it would be easier to exit the cave. "Good luck with the rest of your trial!"

otem

Image Credits

Otem OUT. Yay for trial steps completions :D

K'yarie the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
Oh yes, she would return the item. If she could. Merely because Watcher was in some ways, a friend. At least an ally she did not want to completely cut off. She would see how far she could push him when in possession of something he valued. So long as she got the item back from the one who stole it. So many variables, so many possible outcomes. It was tiring, if she thought too much on it. But fun as well.

She cocked her head to the right as Otem spoke of her little group. There had not been any attempts at an organized group in a long while. Though it sounded like this one had a little ways to go before it could be considered much of anything. They stood for nothing? Then how would they hold together? If they had nothing to stand for, they had no glue to hold themselves together. "It would be good to find something to stand for. A firm foundation is needed to withstand strong winds." She said. "I'll be interested to see if your group holds up against the storms that will no doubt rage around it. If I learn of anything interesting, I will be sure to venture to the city at a half moon."

It seemed their encounter was done. Offering a smile to the girl she gave a nod of thanks. "I wish you and your group luck as well. May it grow strong, and its bonds run deep." It would be nice to see a herd return to the land, though she was not sure she would ever be apart of it. Perhaps this gathering every half moon would amount to the birth of a new herd, a new group set upon protecting one another. Things had certainly become interesting since the portal had opened.

talk talk talk talk
the stars kiss her skin
K'yarie

@Otem
Thank you so much for threading with me! <3