This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
The man on the mountain. [SWP]
Open The Pinnacle 
Taivas the Hopebringer
Currently championing: Reszo
Place a name upon the night, one to set your heart alight
And to make the darkness bright
Paint the sky with stars.
The spire of the mountain grows in the distance until it engulfs the edges of her sight.  The mare comes to an easy landing on one of the paths leading upward.  Now, she begins to remember the Matron's words.  As long as there's at least two of you, you should be alright, but it will not be easy.  The foolish girl had left the meeting at the Summit without awaiting a companion, and her eyes begin to scan around the area for the sight of someone's arrival.  She had not flown exceedingly fast, but certainly anyone traveling on foot would be slower to arrive.

Naive and foolish, as always.

So, Taivas settles in to wait for a while, trying to determine how to go about her approach of the Protector of the Pinnacle.  The sirens at the lake had hardly been receptive to receiving the orbs of light, and the one who saved them all originally refused.  If the shaman had not split her own orb of hope to share despite her requests, what would have happened?  Would they have been doomed?

The shaman's eyes drag upward, toward the massive split in the mountain pulsating a vibrant blue.  She imagines if a protector were to be anywhere, it would be in that glowing beacon.  Steadily, her hooves begin to drift her closer and closer to the opening, still looking around for the arrival of a companion.  The glowing blue grows more intense the closer she gets.  
""
Taivas
image credit

[ ooc - I didn't see one up, so I took the liberty!  Going to tag those who expressed interest in coming to the Pinnacle in Discord, but obviously feel free to jump in.  :)
@Aurelia
@Ruwin ]
Aurelia the Hopebringer
Currently championing: None
AURELIA
The mare was swift to head the words of the Matron. The mare of gold and fire and chaos had, for some unexplicable reason, chosen to follow Taivus to the Pinnacle, a place she'd only been once before, to help spread hope. She'd been attacked by a siren, the stain of blood tainting her thick, juicy haunch. She had noticed other were wounded in the process too and quietly hoping this round would be easier, simpler even. The idea of being attacked over and over and over and over was not an appealing one, but it seemed the Rift worked in the least appealing of way, throwing challenge after challenge at its inhabitants.

She made faces at Taivus behind her back, annoyed at the pegasus. Aurelia was, by all means, the most immature horse ever. She practically stuck her tongue out at the mare she trailed, simply annoyed by her presence and demeanor and fucking bullshit about pulsing and growing together or whatever the fuck. Not to mention the fact that in Aurelia's eyes, Taivus was just rude. Who walks away from someone mid-conversation? Aurelia had abandoned social norms long ago, but simply walking away mid-conversation seemed like a downright weird thing to do. In all honestly, Taivus hadn't done much besides disagree politely with Aurelia, but that just completely rubbed her the wrong way, leaving the lingering feeling of hate and general dislike.

Aurelia follows Taivus despite her dislike for the mare. She doesn't do much except linger silently behind Taivus a few lengths back, waiting for the silvery mare to make the first move because Aurelia was sure as fuck not.

the hurricane inside my soul
and the fire within my bones
image || coding
{Image: 1zxwow6.jpg}
Ruwin the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
He watched as the two mares landed upon the hard packed earth and stone. His crystal clear gaze settling on the familiar form of Aurelia. Though Taivas would not be able to catch the faes the fiery mare pulled, the wanderer certain saw them. One corner of his mouth twitched. Same old Aurelia. "Very lady like." He says in his low, voice. Like a wide river flowing over ancient stone. His confident steps taking him towards the mare he had guarded during childbirth. He eyed the glowing Pegasus with his cool gaze. His face as unreadable as her own. Emotionless, disinterested. Both possessed the floating piece of hope beside them. He continues walking, his pace slow and unhurried as he moves up beside Aurelia. He offers her a friendly nod. "Aurelia." He greeted.

This was by far the most friendly he had been to another horse in a long time. His features were still hard and rough, yet a shrewd horse would detect a tad bit of warmth from the loner when he passed the childish Pegasus. He was just passing by and he had no intention of joining these mares in what ever they were up to. Even if one of them was Aurelia. His looked over at the glowing mare once more. His metal wings glinting in the light of the mountain as he continued walking, his own piece of hope following behind him.

ooc: Too tired to grab a table.
You have my permission to use magic/force against Ru.
Maiming and killing is not allowed. You can always message me if you're not sure about anything/want to plot something out. =D
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
Often, the Protector remained upon the ground in the awning of the teal light that ebbed out from the slit in the Pinnacle. He looked as though he were made a stone, were it not for the glowing teal tendrils that protruded from his face, under the sharp-edged armor that was his head. He usually remained on the earth, settled in a sphynx like shape, forever watching the entrance to the large structure. And often, he remained alone save for those unfortunate souls that passed him and never returned from the glow of the Pinnacle. Today felt different, however, his clawed forearms tapped wearily against the ground, and his head remained forward as he exhaled. There was a change in the air, a shift, and something about it excited the monstrosity that was the Protector of the Pinnacle.

The glow pulsed as if to show that he had company, and yet the Protector still didn’t move. Instead, he stood ever the watchful guardian as figures edged closer to him. His head tilted, his tendrils snaking out in a strange motion that wasn’t menacing as much as it was curious. Then, more and more. If the Protector could smile, he would have. For this was a different feat. They weren’t here to try and bypass him for the heart of the Pinnacle. No, they were here for him with those brilliant glowing orbs of light at their hips. Oh, how exciting. As they all came close to the Protector, he offered them a nod of his large armored head in greeting, still remaining settled in the earth, only half his usual size. He was less menacing this way.

After they paused for a brief moment and perhaps explained what they were there to do, the Protector lifted his head once again. “I’ve heard of you all. You’ve restored hope to the Siren’s Lake. Have you by chance come to gift it to me as well?” His voice was a deep rumble that was soft as it was booming, and felt as though it caressed each one of them as it passed over their bodies. “I think I may have some fun, I shall take your orbs of light and restore hope to the Pinnacle as it’s Protector if you can answer a few riddles.” He offered, his tendrils snaking up in what appeared as though he was grinning. After a few quiet moments, the Protector tilted his head slightly as he began his first riddle.

I am a congregation, sent on a whim.
I aim to banish the darkness, to change the world as we know it.
I am both big and small, I have many genders, and many more colors.
I am here to stay.
What am I?

And the Protector waited for the answers, ever hopeful these creatures restoring hope were intelligent enough to answer his riddles.

“Talk.”
THE PINNACLE'S PROTECTOR

You've peaked the Protector's interest! Answer his riddle the best you can!

* Each round is 48 hours (give or take), and has no posting order. If you miss a round, don't worry - just post when you have a chance to! The round is open until Rift Presence posts again.
* New characters are always welcome to join the plot
* If you find the pace too high, let us know, and we'll slow down!
* Posts are encouraged to be 400 words or less.
» Presence of the Rift «

Taivas the Hopebringer
Taivas cared little for Aurelia, yet there was no enmity from her side in their relationship. The shaman simply found the girl to be more exhausting than she was really worth - argumentative for the sake of being difficult. So, when the golden pegasus lands upon the Pinnacle nearby, the relief felt by the kindhearted girl is brief.

She acknowledges the mare with nothing more than a dip of her head before quickening her pace up the path, soon interrupted by another stallion she did not recognize much. She believes that she had seen him during the meeting with Kisamoa, yet nothing definitive pops out of her mind about the slack faced man. He seems quiet and serious, but he greets Aurelia with a smooth voice free of irritation. "Hello," Taivas says quietly, once again failing to introduce herself or remembering that was considered 'normal'.

A figure grows against the blue light of the Pinnacle, a massive armored catlike being. The closer they draw, the larger and larger the Protector appears, and Taivas's heart begins to quickly pace within her chest, though outwardly she appears calm and collected.

Halting a few paces from his massive feet, the shaman looks up toward the face of the Protector, a shroud of light and metal armor, giving him a polite bow. Thankfully for the socially inept mare, the Protector takes it upon himself to begin.

The tendrils of light spilling out of scales of armor appear to smile playfully as the Protector begins his riddles. "Alright," Taivas says, confident at least that she was fairly sharp-witted.

She takes a pause after he begins to speak, as if considering carefully. An answer shoots into her mind, but she wonders if it is too obvious. The painted girl glances at her companions for a moment before turning back to the Protector, face flat and even, but eyes brimming with soft glowing determination.

"All of us," she says, her voice small and quiet, "that were given orbs by Kisamoa."
""
Taivas
image credit

[ ooc - I'M SORRY I SUCK AT KEEPING THESE SHORT.

Greets Ruwin, bows to the Protector, and attempts to answer his riddle with:

"All of us that were given orbs by Kisamoa."]
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
Excitement barreled through the Protector’s chest, causing the glow around his face to grow slightly brighter as he waited for the answers to come. He had given them an easy one to start off with, hoping that they were intelligent enough creatures to answer that riddle. The next few would be a bit more difficult, but as he waited for the responses and surveyed the creatures the best he could, he found that it was quite possible these creatures could pass his little test.

And in doing so, he’d receive the hope. To say the Protector was hopeful was an understatement. Sure, the creature could simply grab an orb of hope and be done with it, but it wasn’t often he got visitors. And when he did, he liked to have a bit of fun – intellectual fun rather than chasing and screaming. This way was far easier to manage, and with all the tendrils around his face, he could keep an eye on them as they pondered his tasks.

So when Taivas spoke and her answer reverberated in the air, a guttural laugh escaped his huge frame and he felt his tendrils snaking into another grin. “Very good!” He announced, his voice booming across the center of the Pinnacle. “That one was easy, this one will be harder. I do hope you’re still up for the task.” If he could have winked, he would have. Instead he tilted his head before reciting his second riddle.

It troubles you not if I am lost.
I cannot be destroyed, for I always remain.
If I am touched, I am warm and bright.
You must have trust to keep me in mind, and a strong desire.
Do not lose sight of me, lest all will cease to matter.
What am I?

“Talk.”
THE PINNACLE'S PROTECTOR

Taivas was correct! There's another round of riddles so don't feel bad if you missed out on this one, simply jump back in! Answer his second riddle the best you can.

* Each round is 48 hours (give or take), and has no posting order. If you miss a round, don't worry - just post when you have a chance to! The round is open until Rift Presence posts again.
» Presence of the Rift «

Ruwin the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
Ruwin
The loner hated riddles and puzzles. He preferred things plain, simple, and to the point. Mean what you say and say what you mean. No beating around the bush, sugar coating, or fluff. He regarded the Protector with a sideways glance, unsure why it had included him as it spoke about bringing it a ball of hope. He hadn't the slightest idea what it was talking about. Sirens, lakes, none of it. These two must have been up to something that involved all of this. Probably another scheme made up by the god Kisamoa. Well, he had no reason to be apart of it.

He certainly would not endeavor to answer the great being's challenge. He was an intelligent, but not in the way of riddles and word play. His gruff manner did little to lead anyone to believe otherwise. So when the shimmering mare stepped forward to offer her answer, he said nothing. Seemed plausible enough. But he wasn't going to puzzle it out like her. He wasn't not exactly sure why he stopped. Oh yeah, a giant being had addressed them in a voice that pounded in his head like a rockslide. Who wouldn't stop for that?

It did not take long for The Protector to reply that Taivas had been correct in her answer then offer another riddle. Ruwin merely twitched his ears, hadn't the mare already played this game. Or did the Protector intend for them all to answer him. He moved up next to the glowing mare, finding himself staying even though he cared little for what these two were trying to accomplish. Nor did he fancy himself capable of actually giving a correct answer to all of this nonsense. Still, he found himself pondering the riddle. He gave the starry eyed girl a sideways glance. "Is it hope?" He whispered so only she would hear. She seemed quite smart when it came to word play such as this.

It was not like him to hang around, but Aurelia was here and so he somehow felt obligated to remain and do what he could. Maybe it was because he watched over her while she birthed her daughter. Maybe he just felt like he owed it to the are for intruding upon such a private matter. Or perhaps the golden woman had wiggled her way behind his defenses, earning her a bit of warmth from the otherwise cold stallion. Either way, he had offered his two cents to the shinning Pegasus, what she did with it was her business. They were apparently supposed to share the ball of light with this riddle spouting mountain. Why? Because a patchwork god gave a ragtag group some glowing balls of hope, and told them to spread the around like party favors. It made a whole lot of sense, but what do you expect from the Rift?

talk talk talk talk
Hiding below my shadow yet dancing above my fears
I grip sorrow's edge as you crumble to fall at my soul's tears
I have not forgotten you,
but sometimes I cannot help feeling numb
image credit to jason-samfield @ flickr.com

Ruwin whispers his suggestion to @Taivas figuring that she is the leading authority on riddles here.
You have my permission to use magic/force against Ru.
Maiming and killing is not allowed. You can always message me if you're not sure about anything/want to plot something out. =D
Pixel the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
PIXEL
Pixel could feel her faith and hope begin to falter as she moved away from the portal and more importantly, from Otem. She didn't do so well on her own, and any confidence she may have felt at the end of the strange encounter she had had was mostly gone. Now, her legs felt shaky as she set off towards the east. This was the direction that would lead her to the meeting spot for those who had the balls of hope. She glanced at hers, feeling a small amount of comfort just from the cheery looking light. She could do this.

As she went, she noticed the altitude of the land was rising. In front of her, she could soon see the jagged rock jutting up into the sky. It was hard going, and she found herself pausing to catch her breath often. But she could smell the lingering scent of other horses, and that drove her forward. She couldn't see it, but her muzzle had turned grey, showing her exhaustion.

The pulsing blue light was worrisome, but that was where she was being led. The back of her neck prickled as she picked her way over, worried that there was some horrible thing nearby, lurking. After all, this world did not seem nor sound safe, and so far, Pixel hadn't run into much unpleasant. Soon enough, she spotted several other horses of various shapes and appearances, and a little smile crossed her face. She never thought she would be the type to be happy to see such strange creatures, but she was. Especially when she saw the floating balls of light around them.

The Protector, however, did not inspire such warm feelings within the white mare's chest. She was a bit frightened of him, to be honest, though she had no clue who he was or what the group was even doing here. When she heard the riddle, she frowned. What sort of game was this? She hung back a few steps, ears pricked forward to attempt to hear any and all conversation. Still, she felt quite separate from the others. Had she been able to more clearly hear Ruwin's answer to the riddle, however, she would have agreed. It certainly sounded like hope to her.

"Talk."

I've already given up on myself twice
But the third time is the charm
Third time is the charm
image || coding
Taivas the Hopebringer
A bellow of a laugh echoes off the walls of the cliff, as the Protector's strange face lightens with a joy that Taivas found endearing.  He appeared frightening at first, but the shaman began to expect that the guardian's fate left him lonely.  The company provided by the few gathered before him seemed to be enough to bring him to life.

With a tilt of his head, he recites the second riddle.  The healer remains quiet and passive, again taking a moment to glance around the small group, as if to take suggestions.  She had a hunch on what it was, corner of her eye looking at the glimmering ball of light that left her feeling warm every time she touched the strange, glowing light.  However, perhaps that nagging self-conscious attitude of an adolescent kept her quiet.

The quiet stallion swoops in close enough to whisper his guess, matching her own.  She smiles, a tiny, delicate expression.  It is then the girl notices a small mare arrived as well, and she offers her a nod.

Turning her painted face back toward the Protector, the shaman gives him the self-same small smile.  "Hope," she says.  
""
Taivas
image credit

[ ooc - Takes Ruwin's answer and presents it to the Protector. ]
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
They seemed apprehensive, but the giant Protector couldn’t blame them. No, instead, he watched in the strange way he seemed to notice things, as they conversed their next answer to his riddle. This one was harder, but not impossible. And these creatures, as time went on, began to gain the Protector’s fondness, if for nothing else other than spending the time to answer his strange riddles. They could have just tossed an orb his way and hoped it worked, running for their lives – but no, they remained, seemed eager almost to answer his questions.

When another creature approached, he dipped his head in greeting to the mare. After a few moments, Taivas offered an answer to the second riddle he had. Pleased, he clasped his giant front limbs together as he still sat in the dirt, his tendrils swinging wildly with glee. “Incredible. The answer is hope!” He offered them, making note that these creatures were indeed intelligent. “Now, I will not bore you for too much longer. I have one last riddle!” His voice grated and boomed against the pulsing of the crack in the Pinnacle and the teal glow of his head.

I am like your ball of hope,
But on a much grander scale.
People weep to be a part of me,
And darkness has no hold.
I am what stories and dreams are made of.
And you might encounter me once in a lifetime,
Yet I am never perfect.
What am I?

“Talk.”
THE PINNACLE'S PROTECTOR

Ruwin was correct! This is the last riddle, but each answer of the riddle unlocks the final sentence, and thus will spread hope to the Protector. Answer it the best you can! :)

» Presence of the Rift «