This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
What are this?
Open The Pinnacle 
Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
there are no markings on her country roads
no signs that show the way back home

Waker's mention of the unknown land on the other sound of the mountain had made Otem curious. Of course he probably meant on the other other side of the Pinnacle, but as soon as the words had reached her ears, it had made Otem wonder.

And so she had to see for herself.

The barrier, or boundary or whatever they were supposed to call it (veil? wall? curtain? border?) was not what she had expected. She couldn't fly over it, but at the time time, it wasn't like there was a wall of black reaching up into space. It just sort of...was, and at her current flying altitude it was as if her body just knew that it was impermeable.

But what about closer to the ground, where it was dense and dark?

Lowering herself right close to where land disappeared under the ledge of black, Otem landed and halted. Looking around, she spied a small pebble near one of her hooves and kicked it towards the wall. Shockingly, it seemed to go right through and pass completely out of sight. This it did without any sort of sound or visual cue that anything out of the ordinary had happened. And yet at the same time, a small grasshopper continually bounces off of the black shadows.

"What?"  Otem mumbled to herself, confused about the metaphysics of this wall that was presumably part of the Rift sickness. The mare glanced at the orb hovering gently at her side. "And you can't do anything about it?" She asked rhetorically, before turning her gaze back to the black shadows.

Image credits

You may always use magic/force on/against Otem.
Rixen the Vine King
Currently championing: Vjanta
R I X E N

The day was rather sultry. The Scorch sun shone brightly as I walked through the sand. As I plodded steadily along, I could almost see the heat waves rising off the golden sand in my path. 

I enjoyed this season. Scorch was beautiful, because the trees were green and the sun was always shining, despite the Rift’s sickness. There weren't many large trees around here, though, mostly because the desert soil was too dry for them to grow.

I rarely visited these parts, but today I decided that it was time I paid the Pinnacle a visit. I had been spending most of my time everywhere else except in the north. Making my way up the side of a sandy dune took some effort, but it was nothing a stallion of my size and age could not handle. My emerald gaze was fixed on some imaginary path on the ground ahead of me, but I couldn't help looking up upon seeing a dark shape appear at the edge of my vision. 

For once, it was someone I recognized - Otem, the mare who had given me the healing orb. I remembered the ram-horned mare well, and was glad to run into her again. What was she doing alone out here? Her reasons for coming to the Pinnacle most likely did not differ too much from my own. Perhaps she too had grown restless, and sought someplace new to explore. 

Deciding to say hello and ask Otem what she was doing, I picked up my pace, making my way through the sand in her direction. I was still a good distance away from the mare when I nickered a greeting to her, my silver-tipped ears pricked forward and my tone cheerful. "Hello, Otem! Fancy seeing you here." The object of her fixation was something I could not yet see from my position on the dune. 

"Talk."

they heard me singing and they told me to stop
quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

image credits || coding credits
{Image: untitled_drawing_by_indelyde-dceus9t.png}
Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

Otem's orb bobbed silently, appearing to say that no, it couldn't do anything about the black curtain before her.  Despite this, as Rixen's voice called out, she momentarily mistook it for being the voice of her orb, and jumped back startled. It was only as he continued, Fancy seeing you here, that the girl's rationality caught up with her. Turning around, heart still thumping slightly from the adrenaline rushing through her system, she spied the oddly decorated unicorn she'd now bumped into on a handful of occasions, and smiled.

"Hello Rixen. Do you know anything about this?" She inquired. Like her mother before her, Otem often forgot pleasantries and social niceties, like saying things such as, How are you Rixen. It's nice to see you again, etc,. Instead her mind had turned directly back to the veil of black that seemed to blockade the way forward.

"Rocks go through-" She indicated by kicking a pebble with her hoof. It went through the black partition as if there was nothing there at all. "But organic matter doesn't. I saw a bug bounce off of it earlier. I ... I haven't tried touching it yet though. I don't think anything good would happen if I did."

Image credits

Rixen the Vine King
R I X E N

Otem looked startled at the sound of my voice. Oops. It had not been my intention to startle her or to disrupt whatever she had been doing. At least she seemed to recover quickly upon realizing that it was me. The burgundy mare turned to face me with a smile, and I picked up a trot toward her. My slow gait was almost soundless as my hooves kissed the sand. They carrying me across the dune with minimal effort, quickly closing the gap between us.  

When I caught up to Otem, she wasted no time in delving straight into the mystery at hoof. In a brief but complicated question, she asked me if I knew anything about this. What exactly was the this that she was referring to? The girl seemed to be looking at something before me, something I knew that I should be seeing. Strange. Before us the sand seemed to stretch on...then it flickered black, tall, and vast. It reached as far and wide as I could see. Certainly no horse, or any winged creature, for that matter, could fly over a structure so huge. Was it even a structure? Perhaps it was the product of the Rift's mysterious magic. Or maybe a combination of both. "It’s some kind of barrier." I breathed in awe. I had never noticed it before. From far away, it just looked like the desert was endless, but up close it became apparent that there was an impenetrable wall here and that the Rift did in fact come to an end.

Otem kicked a small pebble at the barrier and I watched as it disappeared into the blackness. But organic matter could not pass through, according to the girl, who had apparently been examining this- this curious  thing for a while. "I’ve never seen something like this before." Was all I could think of to say. The barrier puzzled me as much as Otem. I was eager to know what would happen if one of us touched it, but at the same time I hadn't yet mustered up the courage to find out. 

"Talk."

Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

When Rixen's gaze seemed to peer farther away than the barrier would allow, briefly Otem wondered if she wasn't just imaginging in. Narrowing her eyes she tried to scrutinize the air just before her, to see if there was anything that gave it away as an illusion. She hadn't made any potions lately, so surely it wasn't her own hallucinogenic magic ... that was, unless maybe she had too much magic built up in her system?

Could that even happen?

It's some kind of barrier

Otem let out a soft woooosh of air as she released the breath she had been holding. Oh good, not crazy she thought to herself with satisfaction. "No I haven't either .. I think this is part of what Kisamoa meant needs to be healed but.." Otem glanced over her shoulder where her orb was bobbing effortlessly. "..but this doesn't seem to be doing anything." Leaning towards her orb, Otem tried to nudge it with one of her curled horns as if to force it to activate. Instead, it just bobbed away from her a bit, as if in water, and then silently bobbed back.

Shrugging, Otem turned back towards Rixen. "Other than spreading hope, I don't know how to try and heal or fix any of this. Nothing we do seems to have any effect."

What Otem wanted to do in that moment was pout. She wanted to sit right down and continue throwing rocks at the stupid barrier until something happened, or someone else told her what to do. Otem did neither of these things of course, because regardless of how she felt, what she wanted was not to be viewed as a child. Growing up too quickly or without family was likely not good for the young girl, and likely what has caused her to abandon all of her childish pretenses, but that was life. 

"Maybe having two of them will do something?" Otem inquired, glancing at Rixen's orb and then back at her own, silently willing something to happen.

Image credits

Rixen the Vine King
R I X E N

"That would make sense," I agreed, continuing to examine the wall with great interest. I wanted to reach out and touch the barrier. And if I was anyplace else, I probably would have. This was not any other place. This was the Rift, and around every corner there lurked unforeseen dangers. I almost liked that aspect of the Rift. It kept me on the tips of my hooves. It kept my heart beating and my blood pumping. In a way, it gave me life where there was none for me before. Still, I wasn't about to try anything without at least some notion of what I was getting into beforehand. The Rift was too dangerous for that. "By the looks of it-" I gestured again up and down the height of the blackness with my antlers, "-this wall doesn’t look too salubrious." There was a somber, almost deathly look about it. This quality was not solely due to its dark color, but another I couldn't quite place. 

"Strangely, I couldn’t see it from far away. It was only when I drew closer to you that the wall became visible. It seems like it’s disguised by some kind of illusion, one that tricks your mind into thinking the desert stretches on when it really comes to an end. Rift magic sure does work in unusual ways." I observed. Everything and everyone I had encountered during my time in the Rift thus far reminded me that magic was all around me now, though I once thought it to be naught. In the blink of an eye, it was all very real. 

I watched as Otem tried to nudge her orb toward the wall, but the second she moved back the orb returned to its position by her shoulder, as if it were tethered to the mare’s side by an invisible string. As it turned out, Otem was almost as clueless about the Rift as I was. That's what her words implied, at least. She knew more than me, but in the spectrum of things to know about the Rift, the knowledge was not much. My response came with a humorless and rather distant chuckle. I don’t know why I chuckled, because there was nothing particularly funny about any of this. It was not a nervous laugh, but an unpretentious one - my way of filling the otherwise still air with a little more sound. "As I'm sure you know, I’ve been here a small fraction of the time you have. I wish I knew, but very much like you, I'm haven't got any idea how things around here work." I was not trying to make an excuse for myself, for my cluelessness. Even though there was not really any reason for Otem to think that I would know something more about the Rift than she did, I went out of my way to state the obvious, just in case. In no way did I want to sound arrogant. What an idiot I would make of myself, if I were to say something as if I knew, and it turned out to be completely wrong.

Otem’s idea was simple, and certainly better than anything I could come up with. That's not to say it anything special, just throwing a course of action onto the table of possibilities in hopes of uncovering a path to the answer. Nevertheless, trying to use both of our orbs together was better than staring at the wall for who knows how long. Until we were bored, I guessed. "It’s worth a try." We were flying blind.

The worst that could happen was nothing at all. 

"Talk."

Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

salubrious? It wasn't often Otem came across a word (in this language anyways), that she didn't know. Her mother had been an academic and so despite the fact that Otem was still quite young, her education had been vast and positioned as one of her most important past-times. From the context Otem assumed the word had something to do with the viscocity or chemical composition of the wall before her, but she had no idea whether it meant that it was hard or soft, thick or thin.

"Mmhmm.." Otem agreed nuetrally, making a mental note to try and find the exact definition later. She couldn't ask him of course. Ignorance was a first class offence in Otem's family (or it was when they were around anyways), and so Otem kept her lips politely closed and nodded along.

As Rixen emphasized just how much longer she'd been here than he, Otem felt herself internally bristle at the implication. Did he mean that she should know more, seeing as she'd been here longer? The thought made her want to grind her teeth and lash out, but she kept her composure calm and her flighty emotional responses in-check. "I wonder if it has anything to do with the other Gods ... the wolf, crocodile, and tiger.. Her voice trailed off as she thought of the tales told to her back home, about the Riftian Gods that had come to Helovia and how they had been slain. Hadn't there been black shadows then? Did that perhaps have something to do with this?

Staring at her and Rixen's orb, Otem waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Hers hung by her shoulder, as it always had, bobbing on an unseen tide that allowed it to float without compromise in the air. "What're you even for?" Otem asked rhetorically with a sigh of exasperation as the balls of hope continued to have on effect on the wall of darkness before them. 

Image credits

Rixen the Vine King
R I X E N

Occasionally, I liked to incorporate an elaborate word or two into my vocabulary. In part, the reason for this was because it made me feel more intelligent in situations where I felt particularly imbecile for not knowing things that I ought to. Also, so that I might be listened to as an educated, intelligent speaker. Good word choice was the only way to truly influence others with any credence. I didn't mean "influence" in a bad way. But, you know, it was just better that I try not to make a fool of myself. It was just as important to be capable of defending myself with my tongue as with my hooves. To me, words were extremely interesting. After all, horses would not be able to communicate with each other without them. The world would indeed be more simple if I were to use only small words, but everything would be a bit boring and unusual.  

"There are other Gods in the Rift?" Otem’s mention of there being wolf, crocodile, and tiger gods furthered my curiosity. "I do recall you, or rather your necklace, telling me who Kisamoa is and how he was a God of this place who brought you here and now he wants us to heal everything. I never knew there were others…" It was impossible to forget the task that loomed over us all. Heal this place. At least I could be reassured by the knowledge that I had healed the Rift somehow by helping to deliver hope to the sirens. Even if it was by the tiniest bit, I felt much better contributing than sitting back and being a burden. How could I expect the Rift to heal if I was not willing to do everything in my power to help it? "It would make sense that they could have something to do with the creation of this wall. Why would they put it here? Might there be something on the other side?" There were so many questions. There were so many things that I had to learn, and many that I never would. Never in my existence had my mind been so full of wonder and curiousity and frustration at my inability to understand. Being surrounded by questions made everything more interesting, but at the same time it was irritating to be so in the dark. 

Otem watched the two orbs, as if by some miracle they would hear our pleading or sense our desperation to find out why this wall was here and do something, anything to the wall. I watched them too, my emerald eyes following the motion of the glowing spheres as they floated gently up and down. Silently, I willed them to respond. Show us the way, please. But there was no response. "There has to be another way. Should we try to touch the wall? You said you were considering it." Would something bad happen if one or both of us did?

"Talk."

Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:

Otem swallowed, trying to mentally regurgitate all of the lessons that had been taught to her in Helovia. Isopia had thought it important to know the history of the lands and with her twin being a gobbler of information, much of Otem's time had been spent learning. "In the land I came from .. we were starting to run out of space. We'd grown so large that there was fighting between the herds, because there simply wasn't enough land to go around and leadership was always a tricky thing to agree on. So our four Gods pulled in these four lands ... they said it came from a place that was sick and which was ruled over by a corrupted God. The Green Labyrinth, the Halycon Flats, the Blood Falls and the Riptide Isles. All were pulled over to Helovia, but they each brought a god with them. Or at least, we thought they were Gods. A crocodile in the flats, a wolf in the Labyrinth, a bear in the Isles, and a tiger in the falls. The Helovian's fought them...which my mother - err, the voice from the necklace - thought was a bad idea, since we were the ones who stole their lands. And so we killed them ... or at least, thought we did. But then ... they assembled themselves somehow, and Kisamoa was formed, but I don't think they ever really went away. Since those lands are back here now, presumably the Gods are too?"

Otem's shoulders rose and fell. She knew the history, but not its implications. At this point, it was probably anyone's guess.

As Rixen asked whether or not to touch the wall, Otem took in a shaky breath. Never one to appear cowardly, her gaze turned to scrutinize the curtain of darkness to see if it gave off any potential lethal clues. "Rift protect me," She murmured under her breath, and although the Rift had thus far been nothing but kind to her, Otem wasn't so certain that her luck would hold. Steeling herself, Otem stepped forward.

At first it just felt as though she had walked into a cold fog. The blackness enveloped her and seemed to blurr the entirety of her surroundings. Her limbs suddenly felt stiff as if the air itself was actually quite dense. Pressing forward to try and take another step, the ram-horned mare suddenly felt a force pushing back on her. It was like trying to move through jello or thick foam. Just as her muscles began to strain with the effort, the opposing force became infinitely stronger, and Otem was forced backwards like a ball of paper struck by an elastic band. Her hooves scattered beneath her body in an effort to try and steady herself - but because of the density of the air her wings could offer no further balance, and she tumbled to her knees as her entire body was forced out of the blackness. Interestingly, her orb had not bothered to follow her through.

Exhaling sharply, Otem looked up toward Rixen. "I was not expecting that." She murmured as she struggled back to her feet.

Image credits

Rixen the Vine King
R I X E N

"Wow." I listened to Otem interestedly, taking in all that she had to tell me about the land she came from. She spoke of herds and fighting and Gods who were able to move lands from world to world. Where I came from, such a thing was impossible. Otem reminded me of the evident power of Kisamoa, who was formed by these smaller Gods. Surely his magic was even stronger than all of the others combined. And what did he do with his power? Build giant walls for no apparent reason. On the bright side, now we could experience the thrills and joys of figuring said reasons out. Not to mention frustration. "Well, that would make sense." I agreed. The Gods probably returned with those lands, like she said. 

All the while, my thoughts wandered to the question of the wall. It was confusing at best, like everything about the Rift was. What was the wall made of? But more importantly, why was it here, and what did it serve to separate us from. I wished that someone could provide us with an answer. I'd be thinking about this strange structure for the next five hundred years if I didn't walk a way with some sort of answer today. Enough thinking about a wall - there were better things to trouble myself with. Though I wanted to do something to ease my intellectual appetite, I didn't know what I could do. One thing was certain: it was silly enough to be so perplexed by and focused on a simple thing such as a wall, yet here I was. There was nothing else to do but stare at it.

Otem didn’t answer me per se, but it was soon clear to me what the girl’s answer was. I watched as she stepped toward the black mass of a wall, holding my breath with uncertainty. Did she dare? She did. Otem was more brave than I. That notion embarrassed me a little, but she did not seem to view it that way, and the feeling disappeared rather quickly. As Otem drew closer, I contemplated what might happen the moment her body came into contact with the strange structure. Hopefully nothing terrible. I didn’t know what I would do if something happened. Pushing such negative thoughts away, I focused on observing whatever was to happen. Whatever it was might be noteworthy.

The wall seemed to give way as Otem stepped into it, leaving her orb behind. No, I’d say that the glowing orb chose to stay behind, possibly because it knew that it was a futile attempt to breach the barrier. For a moment I wondered if it was really a wall, and whether we had been able to simply pass right through all along. But soon it became evident that the swirling blackness was indeed solid. After a certain point, it rejected Otem’s body, forcing her backwards. She backed out slowly but nevertheless clumsily, emerging rump-first, followed by her barrel, wings, and horns, all deposited in a heap right next to me again. All I could do was look down at her and suppress a small chuckle, but I think my amusement was given away by my eyes. "Neither was I. I mean it would have been a pleasant surprise to find out that you could go through. Or the wall could have done something worse like injure you, which didn’t happen, fortunately. What I’m trying to say is-" I paused, searching for the right words. In part, I was glad of what had happened, even if it did not curb my profuse curiosity. "-that wasn’t the worst possible outcome. Although it still leaves us with many questions." The wall was kind of like a child who had eaten a vegetable, decided the texture wasn’t like cake, and spit it right back out again. That was the conclusion I came to after watching Otem test its permeability. By the way it had forced Otem back out, whatever stuff the wall was made up of appeared to be almost gelatinous or rubbery or elastic-y. Definitely a substance with a lot of rebound.

"Talk."