This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
On My Way
Open Mangrove Tidepools 
Rixen the Vine King
Currently championing: Vjanta
R I X E N

A nasty thing it was, falling for what seemed like eternity before my eyelids fluttered open and I came to the realization that I was in an entirely different world. Sometimes, I would wonder whether I should be missing my homeland more. There was nothing left for me in that place but decay and ruin. That knowledge lessened the fear of the Rift. I no longer feared leaving everything I had behind, because in truth, there was nothing left I could leave. I had nothing to lose. 

And here I stood on the rocks by the sea, living, breathing and with a whole world ahead of me to explore. In a way, I had been reborn. However, that did not mean that there wasn’t any work to be done here in the Rift. This land needed healing, but with time and dedication I believed that it could become a world worth living in. 

I turned to look at Kiada, whose smile had faded ever so slightly, as if her own journey to the Rift brought about bad memories. It was only a brief moment before she resumed her cheeriness and so I did not have much time to think much about it before Kiada posed another question: what was my favorite place in the Rift? In my time traveling aimlessly from place to place, I came across many Riftian wonders. I thought of the forest with the massive obsidian stones, covered in ancient runes written in a language that I did not know by perhaps the first horses to walk this earth. 

There were also the rainforest cliffs, which stretched all along the southern coastline. Standing on the cliffside, you could feel the warm, humid air of the sea which would dampen your coat after a few moments. As a result, a rainforest which must have been thousands of years old was able to grow just inland of the ocean. I found the rainforest to be breathtaking, home to every shape and size of brightly colored flora. It was lush, teeming with life despite the Rift’s state of ruin, and upon walking a few steps in you were already surrounded by thick foliage stretching in all directions. In the center, the trees grew so dense and had such large leaves that the sun was barely visible even when it was daytime and the sun was at its highest point in the sky. There was another aspect to this forest, the eerie feeling of being watched by something lurking in the dense vegetation. It had been a gnawing feeling in the back of my mind, and itch between my shoulders that made me somewhat uneasy and alert.

I thought of the Ultima, where the land again fell away to the sea. Upon venturing closer to the colorful sea glass-covered shore, a crystal cave entrance was visible in the upturned bedrock - sort of like a gaping mouth waiting for the food to enter. Inside was beautiful, with glassy walls that expanded into the sea so that if you walked alongside it you could see the sea creatures swimming in the water beside you. I had never ventured beyond that, but I was certain that the tunnel stretched on for some distance. I wondered if it resurfaced at some point, and if so where the second entrance was. 

If I were to pick a favorite out of the many wonders of the Rift, I think it would be the ruined city where I met Aurelia. I was captivated by the pieces of ivory spire that remained, surrounded by the stony remnants of what must have been dozens more. It was unlike anything or any place I had seen before in my homeland or in the Rift. There were crumbling walls, and what looked to have once been buildings of complex architectural design. In the center of it all, a single spire remained standing at its original height, its stony sides untouched by the trials of nature and time. Unlike most other places in the Rift, there was no life, no neon plants or vicious animals. Apart from the voices of the few and far between passerby, the ruins were encompassed by total silence. Nevertheless, I found them to be fascinating. "In the east there lies an abandoned city filled with dozens of crumbling spires. The ruins must be ancient, but somehow one ivory spire has stood unharmed at the center for all this time. It's quite beautiful. Have you been there before?" I asked, thinking of the weatherworn structures. I almost mentioned my discussion with Aurelia and the idea of rebuilding them to Kiada, just to see what she might think of it, but I held back.

"Talk."

they heard me singing and they told me to stop
quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

image credits || coding credits
{Image: untitled_drawing_by_indelyde-dceus9t.png}
Explorer Kiada
the sun inside of her rages like wildfire
She waited patiently while the stallion beside her figured out exactly which place was his favorite, and while he did so she began to think of which one was her own favorite as well. Which place had she attended more than once without having a true reason to do so. She’d been to the Rainforest Cliffs quite a few times, one of which she had been summoned by Kisamoa, but the other two were due to simple pleasure of the mists that shrouded her. The second most place she’d been was the Green Labyrinth, and perhaps it was due to the fact she had memories in that land since before returning to the Rift that had drawn her to it, or the sheer mystery surrounding it.

Before, in Helovia, both she and her brother had found their companions hidden under the tall stalks of bamboo that grew in the land. It was a rather dreary day, full of rain and wind and they were simply children themselves, young and naïve thinking they could take on what the world had to offer. They weren’t even two months old by the time the gilded eggs stumbled into their paths. Kianzo’s own companion a ravenous hyena, and Khairi’s own blood thirst made the two a formidable pair just as the twins were. It was so long ago, another lifetime, and yet it felt as though she had never lived without the bird – in fact, wondering how indeed she had managed to survive without him.

But then there was the matter that her brother was nowhere to be found – something she still had yet to find the answers for. She wanted to try and see if Kisamoa would know, if the sun to her moon had passed through the portal and survived. Kiada pushed the thought through her mind as Rixen’s answer filled the void in her heart. He spoke of an abandoned city, with white walls and spires. She knew of it, she had been there before, and yet somehow managed to feel at home despite the quiet detachment of the land.

So the young woman nodded to the stallion, offering him a smile. “I have, yes. I haven’t quite found out for sure if the place is what I suspect, but it’s on my list.” She began, angling herself to look upon him as she unfolded her story. “I believe it’s a land called Halyven – the place my mother was born. We’re not from the Rift, and yet somehow that land made it here. She spoke of a city with tall spires, ivory and bustling in comparison before it was sacked by her ex-mate. I had planned on bringing her there to confirm my suspicions. It looks like it could have been quite the loveliest place.” She answered, lifting her head and turning her gaze back out toward the ocean. “Of course, before greed overcame the land so the story goes.” She shrugged her gilded shoulders, her glowing teal wound in her chest oozed more with the movement but she didn’t seem to care.

I’d say my favorite place is the Green Labyrinth.” She offered him as a response, offering him a kind smile as the heat raged around them, broken up only by intermittent blasts of wind.

"Talk."
and she is —
gold, gold, gold.
Kiada
image | coding

@Rixen <3

TROY FALLS A THOUSAND TIMES,
IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
LIKE A STAR BURNING OUT.)
Rixen the Vine King
R I X E N

Halyven was a fitting name for the ruins. It was a beautiful name for a beautiful city. Or rather, what remained of a once beautiful city. Although I did not see the ruins as unpleasant or repulsive. Despite their decayed, destroyed state, I still saw Halyven as someplace beautiful, in a strange sort of way. "So the spires have a name..." I agreed with a small nod. Trying my best to explain my viewpoint, I added, "It does look like it was once something very beautiful. It still is, of course, but in a different sort of way. The spires, the remains of that ivory city serve to remind us that even the most beautiful things in this world must eventually come to a natural end at one time or another." I could talk on and on about the spires, and about how interesting I found them to be. Before I could stop myself, the words were flowing from my lips. There was a spark of excitement in my emerald eyes as I discussed the possibilities that the ruins held. "I suppose that is one reason why I find them so fascinating. When I look at the spires, I see the former glory of the city, and the pain of the destruction of something that once was. But in that there lies the groundwork for something that can come to be." One thing that I wanted to know more about, however, was the story behind the ruins. Though Kiada had just given me a brief overview of Halyven's past, that was only sparking the tiny flame within me that wanted to know more. But I was never an impatient stag, and I knew that in time I would learn the answers that I sought. The questions could go on all day. For now, I refrained from asking Kiada to elaborate. There was a good chance that she didn't know, considering the mare was not a native of this land. That, and I didn't want to nag her with too many questions. That was certainly a way to quickly get on someone's nerves. 

Time seemed to pass by so slowly. For a brief moment, I wondered how long we had been standing here talking, but no sooner had my thoughts begun to wander than they returned back to the subject of the spires (I wasn't kidding when I mentioned that I could talk about them forever and not get bored). My muse on the matter was never-ending. Hopefully, Kiada was just as interested about Halyven as I was, considering her familial connection. "One day something even more beautiful could come from those ruins. Aurelia and I were talking about it the last time I was there." Realizing my intentions were too vague, I added, "Rebuilding the spires, I mean." The words slipped from my lips before I could think. I simply couldn’t keep the idea in any longer. Besides, it was a task for more than two horses. Only with the help of many horses would accomplishment of such a feat be possible. It would do no harm to at least put the prospect of rebuilding the ruined spires out in the open. I knew full well that the first priority was to heal the Rift, and that rebuilding the spires was a project much farther down the line, but nevertheless I wanted to see if Kiada had a new perspective to offer. 

Though I wanted it to, discussion of Halyven could not go on forever. At last, my train of thought circled back around to Kiada's response. Returning her warm smile, I spoke once more. "I've never been to this Green Labyrinth that you speak of. What is it like?" At the name, my mind was filled with images of tall green trees. Perhaps they were shaped in a maze of some sort. I envisioned lush foliage in every direction. Then again, there was always the possibility that the Green Labyrinth was nothing like its name or what I imagined. All it took was Kiada's mention of the place and my mind was made up. The next opportunity that presented itself, and I would go there to see for myself. Ever since I was a child, mystery always drew me in. I could not resist the unknown, and this was both a strength and a weakness. In the face of the unknown, I did not panic; I did not cower in fear. Instead, I embraced it. I embraced the unknown with full force - with every fiber of my being.

"Talk."

Explorer Kiada
She nodded to him as he mentioned the spires had a name. At least, she hoped it was the correct name and place. It surely struck a chord ingrained deep within her that something about it was familiar despite not having seen it before. Still, she listened as he continued to speak. It was an interesting point of view, but one that Kiada had to agree with. It was something she had thought about often, how so many believed civilizations could last forever, when rarely they ever did. The world was literally scattered with the ruins of those that deemed them eternal. The thought had Kiada nodding her head once again to him, glad to have the conversation and debate. She’d let him talk forever, listening to that quiet yet thoughtful voice of his, so long as he wanted to. When he spoke of the idea of rebuilding them, her ears perked forward even further. It wasn’t something she ever thought about, and as she pondered it she thought of what a great idea that could be.

That sounds like an incredible idea, actually.” She announced, tilting her head and glancing toward the water in thought. As he continued a few heartbeats later, a small smile blossomed on her lips. “Perhaps you should come with when I bring my mother there, and see if she can explain with more direction as to what to do with the land? And answer any history questions from someone who was born there?” She offered with a smile. She knew it would be ridiculously difficult for her mother, to see the ruins once again. But if it could make way for a bigger and better thing, would her mother see past the heartache and see what could become?

When Rixen asked of the Green Labyrinth, she let her eyes slide over to him. “Well, right now it’s nothing more than a huge maze of bamboo and fog, but before it was gilded and beautiful. It had been ripped into Helovia before we had all traveled here. It’s where I found Khairi as an egg and bonded to him – it’s also where my twin and I learned how to hunt and what our advantages and weaknesses were.” She answered quietly, the smile still remaining as she reminisced. “I would be glad to take you there, sometime. It’s a bit daunting looking right now, but if you can see past the dreary darkness as you could with the crumbling spires of Halyven, I’m sure you’d find it beautiful too.” She offered.

"Talk."
and she is —
gold, gold, gold.
Kiada
image | coding

@Rixen <3

IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
Rixen the Vine King
R I X E N

"You think so?" An even wider smile slowly spread across my features at the thought that Kiada liked the idea. I hadn’t exactly expected such a positive response. Well, I didn’t really know what I expected her reaction to be, but the mare’s words reassured me that the idea was not so impractical after all. Maybe rebuilding the spires was not as farfetched of an idea as I initially thought. I could not help but feel a childish eagerness and great enthusiasm coursing through me. These feelings must have been obvious in my voice, however, I did not want to get too far ahead of myself and thus did my best to conceal the extent of my delight. 

I continued, "Provided she doesn't mind, then hearing what your mother has to say about Halyven would be incredibly useful. I’m undoubtedly interested in learning more about the spires from someone who was born there. Perhaps it will provide valuable insight as to how we could go about restoring them." I was certain that Kiada's mother would be able to help, if she was willing. Returning to Halyven must bring back unpleasant memories, pain at seeing someplace that was once your home lying in ruin. It was perfectly understandable if Kiada's mother did not want to talk much about them. Still, I hoped that she would also take a liking to the idea of rebuilding the spires and that she would answer my questions as readily as I asked them. 

The wind was beginning to pick up, whipping my monochrome tresses against my body and cranium. It carried the wistful scent of the ocean. A mess of my charred strands twisted and turned against each other, dancing in the erratic path of the wind. Despite creating the irritating presence of hair in my field of vision, the breeze felt refreshing beneath the heat of the sun. Some kind of seabird flew overhead, a flash of white feathers against the cloudless sky. It let out a shrill cry as it coasted on the balmy breeze. 

Although Kiada described the Green Labyrinth as dreary, that did not deter me from wanting to go there. So I was pleasantly surprised when she suggested that we go there sometime. I did not have to think much before my mouth was moving and sound flowing out in response. Again, I did my best to contain the ardor that rose within me. There was always the possibility that I might end up being disappointed. Although I doubted that would be the case, it was better that I kept my expectations low. That way I would be both awestruck and satisfied with most anyplace I went. "Your offer does not fail to entice me. It would be nice to explore a new part of the Rift, especially if it is as beautiful as you describe. I would not mind going to the Green Labyrinth with you, just to go there and see for myself, if it's no trouble." As I finished the sentence, my emerald gaze slowly searched for contact with the mare's blue ones, a half-smile parting my lips that conveyed only a fraction of the eagerness I felt.

"Talk."

Explorer Kiada
It was contagious, the smile that widened on Rixen’s features as he asked if her mother would be willing to speak of it. She offered him a gentle nod, thinking back to the stories she was told as a child of the land her mother had grown up in. Of course, seeing it in person would be one thing and not just reminiscing of stories, but besides that, she was sure her mother would see the good in it. Unlike the dark tar that darkened the corners of Kiada’s heart, she imagined her mother was kind and took care in understanding all points. In other words, Kiada felt her mother was pure – far purer than the Harpy could be.

As Rixen continued, Kiada nodded along. “It will be hard, I imagine. But I think she’ll see the good in it with what you propose doing. Perhaps she might surprise us both and be all for it – to provide a new type of happy memory where the dark ones lay.” She pondered, her eyes dancing toward Rixen with a hopeful gleam in their glacial ice abyss. Kiada thought that it was definitely an option to try and rebuild them, and perhaps the more mischievous part of her would be willing to try it just to prove her mother wrong. And perhaps that’s where Kiada different from her mother, feeling as though she was a bit more daring than the pale half-princess of Halyven.

But when their conversation shifted toward the Green Labyrinth, Kiada’s smile grew. “Oh, it’s no trouble at all! Perhaps we could head there now if you’d like the company? It’s a bit far away, but having a companion while you travel makes the time go by much faster.” She added in, trying to survey him to see the reaction she might gather from him at the proposal. She waited a few moments while Khairi had previously taken off again to continue his hunt for food; and when he was satisfied, the pale vulture flew overhead crooning as if to agree with the sentiment, though saying nothing through their bond as if he wanted to speak directly to Rixen.

"Talk."
and she is —
gold, gold, gold.
Kiada
image | coding

@Rixen <3

IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
Rixen the Vine King
R I X E N

I listened to Kiada's words with my silver-tipped ears pricked in her direction and a keen look in my emerald eyes. I was interested in meeting Kiada's mother and by the mare's description she seemed like someone I would enjoy talking to very much. But that would be an adventure for another day. 

Kiada was right. I did not want to make the journey alone when there was the option of companionship. Kiada's company would be much appreciated and I was sure the time would go by quickly with someone to talk to. Nearly half of my life had been spent alone, with only my thoughts for company. It had been so long since I had travelled with someone else at my side that I'd almost forgotten what such a thing was like. Though I was used to a solitary life, I was certain that I could get used to the presence of company. The Rift had already offered me so many more interactions with other beings than I had become accustomed to in the past few years of my life, and the most interesting ones at that, coming in all shapes and sizes and colors and personalities. Raising my head as a small shadow swooped over me, I looked up to see the vulture Khairi, who was circling above us, calling out into the breeze as if he too were eager to go.

The Tidepools were also a beautiful place, chock-full of the smallest and strangest life forms, and part of me did not want to leave them just yet. I did not know when I would be coming back, but I was sure that I would revisit this place in the future. An hour or two, or even one day, was not enough time to take in the scenic view of the sparkling blue sea. And there were the briny pools to study and the mangrove trees to explore. To reach the Green Labyrinth I presumed we would have to travel some distance and it was best we take our leave. Looking back at Kiada, I gave a quick upward tip of my whiskered chin. "Lead the way." I said, my voice implying that I was ready to go whenever she was. Taking a few steps back, I waited for the curve-horned mare to take the lead and point me in the right direction. 

"Talk."