This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
some natures catch no plagues.
Open Rainforest Cliffs 
Raein
Currently championing:
as the sun set on another, you fell through dying dreams
I do not know what magic exists in this realm that I stumbled into by accident, but the air feels sickly and plagued by misfortune. I try not to breathe too deeply the air within the woods. The chill of winter has settled down here, but somehow I can feel the moisture thick and oppressive on my skin despite the frigid temperatures. Ice coats thick, ancient trees. The neon lights have dimmed, mere flickers in the background now instead of an overwhelming display, but the feeling of being watched only intensifies the further into the forest I walk.

I do not scare easily, but the instinctual warnings from my fight-or-flight systems makes every sound - every crunch of a long dead leaf, every jarring eruption of snow from branches, every distant cry of an animal - like a blaring horn in my mind. The disturbing presence that looms here, one of chaos and malicious intent, almost makes me wish I could be walking behind my bastard of a father again.
Almost.

Putting aside the terrible feeling in my gut and the eerie eyes blinking in the distance, I am relieved for the first time in years. Since the death of Cyphre, I had been pushed into an unwanted position. Despite being born a disgrace, I was expected to take over the mantle my father carried when he became too old to carry out his duties. Preened, trained, and mutilated to make this my reality - I detested my fate. Were it not for the that strange fold of reality, allowing to travel through time and space, I would still be moving inevitably toward a life I never wanted. I much preferred my early years of solitude; being lonely isn't half as awful as being vengeful and bitter.

In my travels, I finally stumble upon an odd looking tree. Though no leaves bloom through the frost, in the darkness afforded by the thick branches above, the bark seems to glow. I walk cautiously toward the dormant tree, looking about with wary eyes. The surface is dark and sturdy, with luminous veins decorating the surface. I find the specimen odd, given the lack of resemblance to the thick trunk giants I have been passing for hours now. Looking around its more dainty form, I see several of its cousins, gently glowing in the distance.

Odd. We seem to be outsiders in this strange realm, though the tree is firmly planted into the ground.
""
Raein

[ ooc - open for anyone; he's just exploring. <3 ]
Roscorro the Dragon Heart
Currently championing: Caevoc
angel, wrestle me
crack my sides to let me see
The eyes still followed him. Blinking within the deep of the jungle. Winking out the second his gaze turned towards them. But they were there, he could feel them. See them out of the corner of his stormy gaze. Like the stranger wandering the jungle he could feel the ominous air of this land. Like a demented, misshapen beast that has been defiled by a darkness that has twisted its soul. His own soul felts its taint trying to reach out to it. Destroy it like it had this land. He refused to let it change him. This land was his home now. But he refused to let it change him. He would find a light within this world and grasp it with all of his might. There had to be something good within it Surely its core was not completely corrupt? Ever the optimist Roscorro was determined to find something to love about this new prison.

As we wove his way through the jungle the winged stallion paused here and there when a shiny rock or item caught his eye. As he collected each piece, he also paused to pull down some thin vines and ivy from the trees. Clutching them within one of his talons, he continued on. With each piece the vision that formed within his mind was coming together. He only wished he had some leather rather than pieces of plant fibers to use for his base. It had been a while since he had sat down to weave a bracelet. He needed to get his mind off of things and the action of weaving often helped him to do so. As he stopped to examine another stone, considering whether or not it would work with what he was making, he heard the sound of another pushing their way through the foliage. Ears pricked forward the stallion waited for the other to come into his line of sight. His muscles were taught as coiled springs, readying to leap into actions the second a sign of danger presented itself. His wings remained tucked at his side to avoid entangling them among the vines.

All the while those eyes watched him...
"TALK HERE"
that if the end will set me free
or send me down below
Roscarro
image credit to jonathon_brandt at flickr

@Raein
You have my permission to use magic/force against Roscorro.
Maiming and killing is not allowed, though. 
Raein
Currently championing:
I do not notice him at first, to be honest.

All the new sights and sounds in this land are beating against my skull like drums.  Everything desperately needs my attention, as my brain works on overdrive to learn of my new surroundings.  Besides, where in my former home I may have felt the presence of another, eyes being held onto my form, in this place, there is no such luxury.

Instead, the feeling of being watched is a permanent state, as far as I can tell.  Shapeless ghouls in the distance with their winking eyes make discerning whether or not you have company rather impossible.  If I still had my wings, I likely would have flown over this forsaken jungle and found somewhere with less shadows for evil souls to lurk within.  Alas, no use wasting more energy wishing for the impossible; I had already done that enough.

As I walk around the base of the silver line tree, my eyes catch on an alien movement.  Immediately, my gaze fixes upon the hulking figure of the beast.

I pause for a moment, in one of those moments where time ceases to exist and the world pauses around you.  This happens quite often in the heat of battle; a single second seems to stretch for minutes.

Quickly, I make judgments about my company.  He looks to be some sort of pegasus, by the look of wings folded behind his massive neck.  The horns which are strewn about his neck and face are smaller and stouter than those I am used to seeing.  The movement that caught my eyes is the swirling and dancing of smoke or fog coiling about his figure.  Based on the tension of his muscles, I take him for an aggressor.

"I would not attack me, if I were you, boy," I say confidently, my voice a warm baritone in the frozen jungle.  My gaze is unwavering and my expression neutral.  "You're at quite the disadvantage in close quarters with your size."

What might sound like desperate bluffing is merely fact.  A large brute has difficulty moving quickly, where as I am agile and trained in battle.  The tear of claws, should he land a blow on me, would certainly be devastating.  However, I am confident; perhaps, I was too confident being new to this land with little knowledge of its creatures.

Oh, well.  Can't take it back.
""
Raein
angel, wrestle me

I would not attack me if I were you.

These were the first words that left this stallion's mouth when he spotted Roscorro. Followed by an overly confident explanation as to why such an act would be unwise on his part. To this the giant stallion could not help but let out a deep, hearty chuckle. The seriousness and certainty by which the stranger spoke his words, and the fact that everyone seemed to always think he wanted to eat them, left his sides shaking with mirth. He did not tell the other traveler that he was used to confined spaces, having spent his entire life within the tunnels of his kingdom. Yes, there were some vast caverns that he could stretch his wings in, but the majority of them were tight and hard to navigate. Let alone fight in. He had to learn how to fight within those tight quarters and overcome the disadvantage that was his size. But why bother explaining such things? He was not here to boast or pick a fight with anyone. Nor was this wanderer seeking to attack him, only defend himself should the need arise. No, why bring up a subject that could cause further hostilities?

Instead, when his laughter subsided, the beast spoke. "I have no intention of harming you." He spoke, his velvety tones easy going and soothing. "In fact, when I had heard you coming I was half expecting you to attack me. Most either look upon my form and run, or lash out. One can never been to careful in this world. This jungle in particular can make one extra jumpy." He gave a nod of greeting to the other stallion. They were still at a comfortable distance that neither could make a move without the other having time to react. So why not be social and see if he could make another friend? Allies were far better to have then enemies. Especially in a world that wanted to kill you at every turn. "I am Roscorro. I hail from the land of Reon. I take it, from the uncertain way you are moving through this forest. that you are not a native. Helovia?" He had only met others who were not from this land, all of which belonged to the world of Helovia. He was curious just how many horses came of the land when it was swallowed by The Rift. Were there any others from anywhere different? As he spoke to the other equine before him, the exiled prince took the opportunity to observe the other. He took in every detail, just as he knew the other traveler was doing to him. Surveying each other until they were certain no threat was to be found here.

TALK HERE"
or send me down below
Roscarro

@Raein
Raein
Currently championing:
He laughs.

I think the laughter is supposed to make me feel recklessly arrogant.  Maybe, I am supposed to laugh along with him and play the fool.  Neither.  Instead, I am decidedly annoyed by his underestimation of me.  Wouldn't be the first time.
I continue to look at him, marine eyes unblinking, until his laughter dissipates in the cold air.

His tone is jolly and friendly, but I do not step any closer.  A rose is lovely and inviting, but does it not still have thorns?  Claiming to be on the defensive yet ready to pounce.  I do not believe it for a second.  "Aye, this place seems to be haunted by something," I agree with his statement about the jungle.  I wish to look into the distance at the glimmering eyes watching us.

Always watching.

I dare not take my attention from him for a moment, though, and settle on glancing back with my mind's eye.  Whatever that presence was when I first arrived is no longer here, but several other beings lurk, I am sure of it.

He offers up a name, Roscorro, along with the name to a couple of lands I did not know.  They do not produce imagery in my mind, no picture of reference, not even the hint of familiarity.  "Nay, I know of neither.  I am Raein."  I provide no hint of my former home.  I do not wish to speak of the place, and I also have a feeling that the tear through space also transported me to another era.

At least should I have heard of either of the lands mentioned, I might feel more inclined to give my birthplace.  I fear that it will not be recognized regardless.  In addition, I do not fully trust this stranger with information about myself.  He clearly is not from my homeland, never having seen such an oddity of combinations, but it mattered not.

Trust no one, not even family.  That is how I had been raised.

"Do you know aught of this place?"
""
Raein
angel, wrestle me

He had learned long ago to train his skills of observation. As such the stallion was very astute. He picked up on the other's subtle cues. He did not trust him, that was obvious. And the laughter that had escaped his velvet lips had only served to insult the warrior. Even though he himself had been quite presumptuous first; when he stated that he was the most favored in this fight due to his size. There was no way Roscorro was going to point that out to this sun-kissed fellow. There was a enough tension in the air without adding a contest of who is stronger and better. The roamer had already perceived him to be an attacker. Reading his readiness to defend against any evil that may come his way as a direct attack on him. While it was true, he was ready to fight, if the need arose, Roscorro did not seek to harm the other equine. But convincing him of that would not come about by throwing his own boasts and pride at Raein.

The behemoth listened to the other speak, watching him closely as the distrust was transmitted to him by every move the golden stallion made. His ears flicked back only briefly to show the disappointment in himself. He had not meant to insult the other stallion, nor had he endeavored to drive a wedge between them. Ever the peacemaker, Roscorro sought to smooth over the situation. But first, he would answer the other's question. Maybe by then he could figure out a good way to ease his nerves. Unlike his parents, this one was not so quick to launch at him in fury. This let him relax into an easier, less threatening, stance that served to prove his disinterest in a fight. Though he was not any less ready to react should Raein decided to attack him.

He had been intrigued to hear that Raein was not from Helovia. "So this place does touch other worlds." He breathed. "Aside from that of Helovia and my own." How many did this land come in contact with? Did some hold a stronger connection to this place than others? It was all so very interesting, and frightening. "I know very little of this world myself." He did not ask of Raein's world. He could tell that the other did not wish to share his tale. "It is called The Rift. And it is as broken and lost as the name for which it is given. Though I am told that it was much worse before we arrived. It's state did not change until the god of these lands used the land of Helovia to somewhat restore it- by devouring the other world. Many of Helovia's inhabitants are now trapped within these hostile borders. You are the first horse, other than myself, that I have met that has not been apart of the destroyed world of Helovia." He recalled what Kaida had told him. Her belief that as more came to this land and explored it, its wounds would somehow heal and a better place may come of it. He honestly did not understand how this would take place when all the land did was take. Did it intend to steal everyone's magic in order to restore its own? If so, why had it left Kaida with hers? It had even expounded upon it. Maybe it did not only take things.. The Rift was a strange, confusing place that constantly left him feeling off balance. Best not to try and wrap his head around the whole thing, or else he risked losing it.

"I do apologize for earlier. I did not mean to insinuate that you are any less of a warrior with my laughter. I do not doubt your capabilities. You carry yourself in the fashion of a seasoned knight." He tilted his head as he observed the other. "I merely found it humorous that, out of all of the foul things that surely dwell within this land, you found me threatening enough to feel the need to threaten me." He took a couple steps back in a silent way of showing that he truly meant no harm. The distance between them now was far too great to even think of preforming a successful surprise attack. Though his voice had no trouble spanning it. "I was also quite relieved. Not only are you not a beast of this jungle, but a knight who does not seek out violence first. But instead you tried to sway me from possibly attacking you with your words. Of course, you could be a clever thief or murderer trying to ease me into a false sense of security. Or I could be the thief." A pang of regret stabbed at his heart, but he revealed none of it. "Neither one of use can see the ways of the other's heart." He added the last point, expanding upon it in his next sentence. "I've found in my life that many look upon the outside and make an assumption, it is only natural, we all do it. But as a result we often do not see what lays within, until it is too late."

His eyes fell to the scars that covered the golden's shoulders. It was not as obvious to anyone who did not have wings, or know the Pegasus breed. But the shoulders had once supported a pair of their own wings. Removing them would never completely get rid of the way the body is built in order to support flight. He knew not how the other had lost his wings. But his mind could come up with a thousand theories. But he was good to brush them aside, knowing first hand that judging and assuming was a dangerous road to travel down. "Sometimes, the most dangerous, and evil beings, are wrapped in the most beautiful appearances. I have learned that the hard way." His parents were such beings.

TALK HERE"
or send me down below
Roscarro

@Raein

OOC:
I don't think Roscorro has spoken this much, or this philosophically, to anyone. xD
Raein
Currently championing:
He chooses to relax.  I do not.  I remain alert, ears flickering each directions every few moments to remain alert, my eyes still fixed upon his massive figure.

Everyone here was from Helovia - wherever the hell that was.
What of the natives? He wanted to ask but knew this brute would have no idea, as he admitted it already in his limited knowledge.  Whatever grew up here from birth must certainly be an oddity, if all the sights he had thus far were a testament.

The Rift.  A shattered and broken world with a twisted name.  It gave some clarity to the strange fractured nature of the lighting in the forest north of here.  The destruction of another world sounds impressive, even in the secondhand description of the event as relayed by Roscorro.  I shudder to think of my former home being destroyed, no matter how much I hated it.  For, despite all the awful memories and feelings associated with places and equines there, I loved the way the sun rose over the Stillwater Glades.  I enjoyed the passage behind the old Boroughs leading to the waterfalls.  I missed the sparkle granite on the mountainside.

Imagining it being engulfed by another starving world was horrifying.
Now the eyes upon my flesh made sense.  They were looking for a savior.

"What a violent place," I think aloud, still not moving my eyes from the other's face.  I travel with my mind's eye once more, thinking of the sights on my way through the jungle.  "No wonder this tree seems to have been supplanted from another world."  I vaguely motion with a slight tilt of my head toward the tree behind me, still softly luminous with the silver veins running up its trunk.

When the dragonesque brute speaks again, I smirk before giving him a more somber expression.  "I do not recall threatening you," my voice is flat.  Surely, advising someone that I am not an easy target is not the same thing as encroaching on their safety.  I had not been poised to pounce from the dark shadows of the jungle.  I would not indulge this idea that I am the aggressor in any sense, while he remained self-righteous and obnoxious.  "I also do not need your reassurances or feeble apologies."

What is this attempt at a heart-to-heart with a stranger?
He clearly needed to speak more to me than I to him in these moments, so I endure it.  He speaks with a certainty common in youths.  Roscorro, the beast boy from Reon, has seen some horrifying things, I am sure.  He has felt pain, maybe even still.  I see his gaze turn toward my shoulders and something akin to recognition on his face.  The scars of wings taken from me.  He knows.  I do not sigh, though I already feel exhausted by this conversation and brat.

"You are thinking of others in a two-dimensional sense," I say, my eyes hollow and voice exasperated.  "No one is defined by a single trait or action.  I may be a thief or a murderer, but I clearly have no intention of stealing your possessions or your life; that would require me to be much closer.  We are all capable of wearing different masks that suit our needs or desires.  No one is wholly evil nor is anyone truly pure-hearted."

"We are altered in our circumstances, so you must learn to observe and discern what they are in the moment.  Nothing else matters."
""
Raein
angel, wrestle me

His gaze briefly moved to the trees that Raein had mentioned, before snapping back to the stallion when he spoke. "Not threaten, what is the word..." The stallion fumbled, obviously flustered by his own lack of tact. "I meant something like how you looked at my crouched posture and took it as a hostile gesture." That's what he got for growing up in tunnels. He did often forget words and fumble with his own thoughts. He let out a sigh. "I made quite the mess of that."

He listened as the elder gave his own opinion. The younger stallion soaked up every word, working it within his mind. Rather than letting his pride be hurt by the other's words and tone, he turned them over in his brain. He had spent all of his life in a very limited world. Things were black and white to him and he had so little experience in the world beyond. He knew how to handle his parents and avoid enduring further pain, but now he was in entirely different world with people he had never met or experience. Slowly, the beast nodded. "Thank you." He muttered. "I have had little experience with the world beyond my prison. Your words come from an experience and wisdom I do not yet posses. Perhaps, if we do happen to meet again, I will have a chance to engage in a less naïve conversation."

He was not the kind that had been allowed to have his own opinion. Only now coming to this world he was beginning to learn how to formulate his own ideas and develop his own pride. Meeting others and hearing their own opinions was helping him to grow and learn. To each of these horses, he was grateful. "May the weather treat you fair, and loyal friends be plentiful." He gave another dip of his head before taking his leave.

TALK HERE"
or send me down below
Roscarro

@Raein

OOC:
This seems like a good spot to close this out with your next post. =)
Raein
Currently championing:
Of course, I am not oblivious, so I know what he meant.  Still, I am a no-nonsense fellow, and I appreciate the finer points of accuracy in speech.  My father raised me like a politician, for my unsavory background threatened to stain his prestige within our home constantly.  Manufactured but accurate statements impounded in my mind about who I am started the say Cyphre died.

Sometimes I envied him for leaving us so soon, even if his departure was violent.
I guess, since I escaped here, I would no longer envy his death.

I understand the flurry of emotions the young lad has, obviously lacking in the same social etiquette training I had suffered through.  In some ways, I am envious of his bright, innocent disposition in the world.  He clearly suffered trauma in his former home, but at least he had not been forced into a mold he overfilled, with the edges cut off as necessary for the image to be perfect.

Appearance - all that really mattered back home.

I half expect him to take offense to my criticisms of his view, but instead, the boy listens intently to my explanation of others.  The faces that we all wear, how we own several, and how only the current one matters to our reality.  Each one is equally the true self embodied in one being, depending on the moment.  Ah, how fluid our personalities are.  How pragmatic and resourceful we can be.

"Learn well, boy," I murmur, a smirk on my lips, as the giant takes his leave into the forest.  I turn my own figure toward a different direction, hoping to get out of the god forsaken woods where I could see more clearly.

If only I had wings.
""
Raein