This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
the fern fiasco
Trial Solanis 
Gwyn
Currently championing:

GWYN
uh-oh, running out of breath, but I
oh, I, I got stamina

The week which followed her arrival to the colorful forest was filled with some adventure, and much lazing about beside her small fires.  Too afraid to make them very large, and only letting them burn at night or during the early, very cold mornings, she carefully put them out with snow, or stamped upon them with her hooves, when new snow had not fallen, and the snow that was already there had been chilled into a rock-like state by the perpetual freeze of the unnatural season.

It was uneventful, to say the least.  That is, until the fern fiasco.

She was not sure why she decided to taste it, especially now in retrospect, when she wished she had simply lit it ablaze.  But, taste it she had, and the consequences had been immediate and dire.

All around her the forest seemed to come to life; it rustled and wheezed, it groaned and creaked.  With terribly raspy, insect like voices, it chattered at her, and called her fat and cruel.  She, of course, had argued that it was only right for unicorns to eat plants; the plants, in turn, had accused her of being heartless, and proceeded to smack and grab at her wherever she went.  This had gone on for several hours, until, at last, she had plead with them to stop.

It was then they had told her she would have to give them recompense.  Whoever they were, Gwyn did not know, but they sure were on her hit list, especially considering that she now had some sort of seed germinating (how gross of a word was that?) in her belly.  As if the stomach cramps weren’t enough, the forest would not shut up about her collecting some other strange things, for when the seed had “germed,” as Gwyn had termed it.

So, she was doing her best to oblige, all while getting out of the whispering forest as soon as she could, but it was hard to focus on finding glowing rocks or “gem fairies” when all the trees were calling you names.  All Gwyn could think about was getting out of the terrible forest, and out somewhere there weren’t trees. 

It’s here, idiot, the forest of ferns whispers, not there.  Further still you go, lost and foolish...

Where are you going, orphan? croons the next one; the branches of its neighbor dance as she passes, reaching out, you haven’t repaid us yet.  So selfish…

[ Trial Blurb:
The trees are looming, watching, as you pass beneath their ancient boughs. They chatter to each other, a message of whispering leaves that you can't quite make out, louder and louder in the rising wind. Are they talking about you? Somebody else? It's definitely you - you can make out the snippets of words, and the things they say are not complimentary. In fact, it sounds like all the plants are discussing your flaws and shortcomings. 

We shall be fighting gem fairies in this thread.  RIP Gwyn. xD  All are welcome <3  ]
Image by Jody Roberts@Flickr
I'm just wild
so sit the f#@k down

please tag gwyn for opening posts & mentions in group threads only
Roscorro the Dragon Heart
Currently championing: Caevoc
Honestly! He had only turned his back on her for a second. But a second was all that it took for her to devour a strange plant and go completely crazy. Never before had the stallion felt so helpless as he watched his little charge descend into near madness as she acted as if the trees were alive. He watched as she leaped away from one in particular and picked up his pace to catch up. He had no idea how to help her. There had to be something they could do to counteract what ever was running through her system. But he hadn't the slightest idea. Other than this furfent need to push through the jungle as if she had somewhere important that she needed to be. "Gwyn, you should be resting." He pleaded, but he knew such words would fall on deaf ears. She was in a state. Her mind singularly focused on the world she was in and he was not. So he followed closely, keeping a watch over her. Ears pinned back in uncertainty and concern he felt a boiling knot of panic in the pit of his stomach. He couldn't let her die.

He knew so little about the rift, yet somehow, as they continued to wander he felt as if he came to a strange understanding. Her actions seemed to be that of someone looking for something. What, he did not know. All he knew was that she was desperate to get this thing and he was not about to let her wander off on her own in this delirious state. The eyes that watched him, slowly eating away at his own nerves, leaped to the forefront of his mind. The ghostly voice that told him to steal something returned. At this point in time he was able to thrust it aside, its power had not yet reduced him to the paranoid mess he would become shortly before running in Kaida. No, that was for a future time. But he vaguely understood that something was driving her to do this. Maybe it was the same thing that gave power to those eyes. So he ceased trying to convince the girl that she needed to rest. She would not rest until this job was done. Could not. So he kept his senses alert for any danger while the lass continued to move through the forest n search of her mysterious thing.

He only hoped that they would find this thing quickly. He wasn't sure he could take much more of the girl's alarming behavour. Though it was rather comedic, he was more disturbed by it then anything. He was supposed to be protecting her after all. He was doing a terrible job so far. But she was his first child. Of course mistakes would be made. He was learning. At least Gwyn was still alive. Crazy, but alive. That had to count for something. Right?
You have my permission to use magic/force against Roscorro.
Maiming and killing is not allowed, though. 
Gwyn
Currently championing:

GWYN
oh, I, I got stamina

She doesn’t hear Roscorro arrive behind her, too distracted by the mean plants, and the severe emotional effect they were beginning to have on her mental state. Feeling incredibly angry but also vastly depressed and hopeless at the same time, the northern princess slips through the jungle without so much as a flutter of an eyelash to indicate she knows the well intentioned dragon-man is there.

Skittering away from some of the more malevolently leering trees among the fold of jungle bullies, one particular tree frightens her so much that she clambers away from it at a sudden and swift forty five degree angle at a canter, a small bleat of terror filling the space where she had momentarily been. A few sparks crackle across her rump, motivated by instinct and the sudden surge of fear which had swelled through her.

The girl lays eyes on the black tree no sooner than she finds herself in line of sight with it; how could she not? It was so unusual. Its black bark was strange, and all over it, gemstones seemed to be implanted. Though the whispering certainly hadn’t stopped, curiosity as to what this tree was helps to drown out their harsh words, and Gwyn does her best to quiet the thundering of her heart as she slowly tiptoes across the frozen earth, towards the onyx oak. The stones were clearly not fairies, as she had been told to seek out, but, maybe there were some clues about a tree that had gems in it.

The distraction of how pretty the shining gemstones are puts the thought of investigating to the side, momentarily, and Gwyn submits to the glimmer on a whim. No sooner is she there than her jet black muzzle reaches out, and gently probes the nearest stone; a large, light blue thing, she doesn’t know what sort of rock it would be called, other than that it makes her think of her mother’s eyes.

[ OOC: waiting for a verdict as to whether or not I tag rift presence or write the fairies meself >D ]
I'm just wild
so sit the f#@k down

Rift Havoc
Currently championing:
rift havoc
Suddenly, the fairies find themselves disturbed. There’s a sound of crunching leaves on the outside of their beloved home – a crackled trunk of a Deviltree – and not only that, but an extreme amount of tension! It was uncomfortable, the proximity this tiny beast had to their home, despite the fact they had noticed the beast before. They heard a voice and spotted the strange ugly creature as it bumbled its way around their homes. They had muttered to one another, cackled and clacked their beaks in agreement that this creature was the ugliest thing they’d ever seen!

Even the smaller fairies darted to the cracks to spot the creature as it closed in, though the elder fairies began to warn them of such proximity. The young fairies should have known, but perhaps now they’d learn their lesson. A soft, squishy, ebony thing from the creature juts in just enough to press against the cracks, seething in and squishing one of the smaller fairies! Shrieks splurge out from the cracks, angry chattering jaws and mumbled words spat in anger as the small bird-like fairies began to pour from the cracks. The light glinted against what appeared at first as feathers, but were hard, gem-like pieces intricately pieced together.

But as they popped out of the cracks and began their decent to the black equine, they immediately aimed their beaks in her direction, sharp and pointed needle-like tips as they attempted to swarm the beast that harmed their own and got too close.

"Talk."

---

I imagine they’re trying to swarm her like wasps would, feel free to have them do whatever and I'll run with it :)

image || coding
Cahira
Currently championing:
and the crown it weighs heavy

Yet the faeries hadn’t been the sole observers as to the affairs of manic children and fretfully affectionate beasts—although in the Rift, would it be presumption to claim such statements as woefully trite?—her attentions, also, had been caught involuntarily by the hapless pair. And she, too, was allied in as much surging resentment as the fays, but unlike they, found her asperity aimed at a rather dissimilar source. Perhaps it was, when Fate had exhaled life into her and, yes; delighted to endow her as deafening a voice as mother had when enraged, it was in the end a blessing! It may certainly have been misunderstood when Cahira lunged out of the withering verdure with generous amounts of crackling foliage en route of the girl, however, her words couldn’t have been less ambiguous. "Get away from her!"

What foolishness had demanded she plunge into a campaign she knew little of, what vexatious, irrational sentimentality, Cahira couldn’t perceive. She had been naive enough to be outwitted by the malevolence of this world twice, thrice, if careening headlong into a fray in time was to be considered. Assuredly, she ought to have learnt something, to have gained healthy misgivings about conspicuously innocuous beings, and, perhaps, she had. She certainly exhibited what may have been considered selfishness in her lack of introductions—in her failure to embrace civility or mirth at the presence of these companions and, instead, seek asylum behind shrubbery—though it was, in truth, fear that had persuaded her to hide. At the sight of the swarm, however, this proclivity faltered.
Whatever the wanderer had done to suffer such malice, she was a child, merely a youth! By what was inferred in the gangliness of limb, even Dallilja would have been her senior. The pang she endured in the aftermath of this thought dulled into a ache, for what nightmares, what misery had her younger sister underwent while she was held enraptured by myth, despicable lies? Oh! What a wretched older sister she was! But as she watched transfixed, even melancholy gave way before the sudden, vehement flood of wrath.

Frankly, it was far less abrupt than she assumed; the struggle in the thickets with the creature and the jaguar, the desperate flee for life, the loss of Dallilja, of Shahrokh. Her nephew, blind and wayward, the only thing she had left of Destry, and she had let him go! Had Destry not already sentenced her—in her good opinion—with condemnation, certainly, she would have now. And how could she blame her? She, who had been duped by bewitched sand, left petrified; not with horror, but with glee! A season had crossed in her wake and there was nothing she could do in order to remedy the lapse. She knew loathing, then, knew it well, she loathed this world, this place. This horrid, morbid dream, where even sunlight was not as it should be, where mother—where mother was dead. This place which preyed upon children, which tore families in two for greed. Long had her enmity had time to bitter, simmering before increasingly fragile barriers; now, it simply overflowed. She had not considered the wisdom of her actions in the all-consuming blaze of her displeasure, and perhaps in that moment, she was more like Azarel than she had ever been before. For a fleeting moment, she understood him. Understood the hardness in his gaze, the harshness of his voice. More than she would have liked.
So when she’d come barreling into the onslaught with unadulterated ferocity, the crease of her brow sated with thunder, though her eyes had been damp; they glistened as with flames in the brilliance of her halo; the sweeping crown of her head a blade, a lance into what she fervidly hoped to be flesh, a barbarous urge, warranted it may be. Her hooves dancing, cavorting with lethal might, aiming to eradicate, to smash, to shatter.

She would make them suffer the way this blasted world had tormented everyone else. Maybe they were cognizant—well enough they were, she hoped they felt every second of agonizing dread as when Nótt and Dagr had been wrenched from her mind and ravaged upon until nothing was left except a void.

She had.

@Roscorro @Gwyn
A/N: With permission, a completion of one of her trial quests as well! :D 
- Help someone in need. 

'till it's banging on my eyelids

'CAUSE I'M GONNA BE FREE

AND I'M GONNA BE FINE

+
Roscorro the Dragon Heart
Currently championing: Caevoc
angel, wrestle me
crack my sides to let me see
He followed her to the mysterious, glittering tree. Its black bark like that of the night sky, while the gems twinkling within its flesh were like unto stars. Was this what Gwyn had been trying to reach so fervently? Judging by her reaction to it, he assumed that it was. His steps were careful as he kept only a pace behind her, ready to leap into action should she need him. He lifted his wings slightly, like a knight partially drawing his sword in anticipation of a fight. Every muscle was taught. He would not fail his little charge again. He watched closely when she reached out and touched a gem with her soft nose. Then the tree erupted into thousands of screaming, clacking fairies hell bent on harming Gwyn. He did not notice the mare charging forward to give her aid as his own instincts kicked in.

Jumping forwarding his, omnivore like teeth snapping and biting in hopes of tearing apart a fairy our two as he aimed to grab ahold of Gwyn. If he succeed he would give a mighty beat of his powerful wings that would thrust both of them backwards and away from the fairies' reach. The violent movement of his massive wings would send plums of dark, think smoke into the faces of the attackers. He hoped it would temporarily blind and confuse the little monsters and allow for a hasty retreat. If he did not manage to take hold of his little fawn, he would continue to try and tear the birdlike being apart with his fangs and claws. It would be only then that he noticed a flash of white attacking their attackers. Another horse had come to Gwyn's rescue as well. Depending on the outcome of his actions, he would either find himself fighting alongside this mysterious mare, or just drowned her in a cloud of dark smoke.

"TALK HERE"
that if the end will set me free
or send me down below
Roscarro
image credit to jonathon_brandt at flickr
You have my permission to use magic/force against Roscorro.
Maiming and killing is not allowed, though. 
Gwyn
Currently championing:

GWYN
oh, I, I got stamina

It all happened so suddenly.

Too suddenly, in fact, for Gwyn to really know what was happening. The gem she had gently touched was very much alive, and had become so in a split second, its wings a blur that let it dart and flit through the air. It might have been enchanting to her if the other gemstones hadn't come to life, as well, their raccous chatter filling the clearing as they dart in and out from the assault of the young unicorn.

As it were, she was afraid; her heart hammered even harder in her chest, and with each scraping, angry attack of the fairies, she relinquishes a small bleat or exclamation of fear. As if the noise of the fairies wasn't enough, the trees, too, continue their mockery of the foal, and, also, begin to almost howl in longing as the gem-bodied creatures flit angrily through the air.

Roscorro!” she stammers, trying to find her large protector in the strangely sight limiting swarm.

Most immediately, her magic crackles to life; the blue light dances around her, and casts long shadows from the trees. Her hooves dance beneath her, her small horn slashing at the air around her without much aim, and her hooves occasionally flicking out, to hopefully kick one or two from the sky. Her magical shield lasts only long enough for a few of the attackers to be zapped from their course of action, however, before it sputters out.

The strange mares arrival, then, was not entirely unwelcome, especially when she promptly joins Roscorro in trying to aid Gwyn out of her newfound predicament. Though the filly might have rudely wondered what it was the woman sought to gain on any other occasion, she now makes her way closer to the larger adult figures, managing to find words through her shouts of fairy-induced pain. She didn't even care if she sounded out of her mind; this whole situation was crazy enough.

I think the - ow - trees need - ah! - one of the - eee! - gems!” she stammers, desperately looking at the ground between her parries and glances at Roscorro and the stranger, “don't - ah - run away - ouch! - 'til we - owie - got one!

@Rift Havoc @Roscorro @Cahira
I'm just wild
so sit the f#@k down