This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Firelight
Open Solanis 
Murdock
Currently championing:
M U R D O C K

Ever since his arrival in the Rift, Murdock had felt as if he was trapped in some terrible nightmare. The darkness never seemed to cease and the rain, unrelenting, had soaked him until he couldn’t remember how it felt to be dry. He had spent his days sleeping restlessly and fitfully, hidden away in whatever shelter he could find to avoid the rain, but most importantly, to avoid unfamiliar eyes. This place, whatever it was, seemed empty. But somehow, he felt as if his every movement was being watched.

He travelled only under the cover of darkness, unsure what he was looking for, but trying, in whatever way, to find something that would tell him how to get home. Or, was he home? Had Helovia become sick? Poisoned by some disease or some darkness that had twisted and molded it into something terrible and unrecognizable? He glanced down at the soaked earth beneath his feet as he stumbled down the slick slope of a hill, struggling to find answers in the featureless mess of mud.

How he longed to see the sun again, or to feel a warm, dry breeze against his face. His heart ached for Chernobyl and his son, or at the very least, for some friendly stranger to find him and offer some company. He was exhausted from his aimless wandering and fatigue dragged at his feet with every faltering step he took across the damp earth. The trail he followed, or rather, the trail he made through the undisturbed grasses and puddles nestled into dips in the terrain led him across gently rolling hills into the thick shelter of a forest. A dense fog swam at his feet as the cool night air sucked heat from the earth, the mists obscuring the faint glow of his hooves.

What little violet light was left in the sky, painting the edges of muted, grey clouds, was soon blotted out by the crooked, reaching arms of tree branches that loomed over his head. The bottom of the hill delivered him into the threshold of the forest that swallowed him eagerly, leaving the openness of the fields behind him. He did not often like to venture into the woods, especially unfamiliar ones, as his only method of escape – flight – was then robbed from him. However, the need for answers drove him onwards into the shadows.

The forest continued to thicken as he pressed further into its depths, but its stillness and quietness, which normally would have put him on edge, was oddly peaceful. Slivers of pale light danced through the branches as the clouds broke, but rain continued to drip down from thick, curled leaves. The droplets fell onto his already soaked coat, dripping onto his pale feathers and sliding down off the glowing emerald tips.

Strange, perfumey smells reached his nose that reminded him of the scent of ripe fruits, and from the mud beneath his feet sprouted plants of strange shapes and colours. The ferns grew tall here, fronds as delicate as feathers bowing across his path and tickling his legs as he brushed through them. Strange lights shone dimly near the roots of massive trees, and on closer inspection, Murdock discovered vibrant wedge-shaped fungi sprouting from the smooth bark that emitted a dull and flickering glow of yellow.

All around him, the forest seemed to come to life as he wandered deeper into it. His curiosity washed away his fatigue and his eyes became wide with excitement as luminescent flowers, mushrooms, and other glowing things surrounded him. The dancing lights of fireflies spiralled through the air as he broke out into a small clearing or grove of sorts, with a still and shallow pool as its centerpiece. The undergrowth here was thick and tall, leaning in towards the water and pulling at his feet as he stepped out into the little haven.

Cautiously, he bent his head at the water’s edge as he approached. His reflection stared back at him curiously. A ripple in the calm surface caught his attention, and hastily he raised his head to look into the reeds on the other shore. A grey stone sat half out of the water, and on top of it, sat a small frog. It was as brightly coloured as the fungus and glowing dimly in the gloom of the night. Black spots and stripes covered its back like drips of paint, and its eyes were large and dark. “Hello,” he whispered, his voice rough from disuse. The frog said nothing. He watched as its pale throat swelled and contracted. It seemed to stare back at him, but was uninterested in conversation.

“I wonder if you can help me...” He tried again, lowering himself to his knees on the sandy edge of the pool to lean closer to his new friend. The frog sat upright, but still said nothing. Its throat trembled, a strange sound cutting the silence, but no words. “My name is Murdock. I’m rather...lost. I wonder if you can tell me how to get home?” He waited then as he let the small creature think. Perhaps his size had frightened it. Or, perhaps, it had no capacity to speak at all.

"talk talk talk"

maybe i like
that i'm not alright

Image Credit
Hearth
Currently championing:
Hearth

I had tried to say silent so as to observe longer but my mirth easily overwhelms the thought and the chuckle that escapes me and betrays my presence resonates in the closeness of these goliath ferns deep and full. When he was to look up, as he surely would, he would spy me instantly as a stark figure among the vibrant foliage perched not unlike the frog he inquired so earnestly of upon a boulder tall enough to hide me from plain view. I myself was peering down at the pool, admiring its reflective nature in this fantastical place when he chanced upon it as well, chasing patterns and trying to piece together a map of this new land in my head, though now my focus was solely on him. I idly note that he is of the winged kin as I am and my Great wings stretch a little in solidarity of that fact while my eyes wander to peer at earthy coloration of his coat and the bright, angular markings of his face. I wondered what he'd think of mine, for they had stunned many on the first encounter.

I smile warmly and tilt my head a little to one side as I speak and say, " And what is home to you? Perhaps a more particular pond, if you are left asking a frog for directions..."." My voice isn't mocking but it does hum with my amusement, mixing it well into the notes.

"Talk."

Odd eyes peer through windows
to glance at what is ever clear
image || coding

CHARACTER
Murdock
Currently championing:
M U R D O C K

His interaction with the frog, though so far unsuccessful, was suddenly interrupted by the low but unmistakeable sound of laughter. Murdock’s chin lifted abruptly, tilting his gaze upward into the long face of an unfamiliar creature. All at once his forelegs scrambled beneath him, sand flying about as his hooves dug into the soft bank and startling the frog who, with a soft splash, disappeared beneath the water’s rippling surface.

Once he was upright, though thoroughly disheveled and caught off guard, he studied the stranger closer. The mare’s scent betrayed more about her than her appearance did, for most of her body, though tall, very tall, was hidden behind a shroud of bent ferns. She was of his kind, with dark and mottled feathers just visible behind fronds of green foliage. Her coat was a deep bay, almost black, that was streaked and painted with brighter tones of red and gold that resembled flames licking up her chest toward her face.

Her appearance was rather striking, from the little of her he could see, but he swiftly reminded himself that she was not yet a friend, and he should not be so easily coaxed into complacency by looks alone. He held his silence for a moment, lifting his chin up higher so that he might feel somewhat less dwarfed by the gargantuan female and folding his pale wings properly into place.

He took no note of her amusement, for to him, speaking to animals was not unusual. Speaking to trees, for that matter, was also not uncommon for him. To Murdock, anything and everything could become a friend and confidant in a time of need, and so he felt no embarrassment at having been intruded upon. Though his body was that of a mature stallion, parts of his mind had maintained a childlike carefree freedom.

His ears pricked forward as the amused tone of her voice reached him, and uneasily he nodded his head in response. “Yes, actually...” He paused, unsure whether or not he should share much information with this stranger. She looked harmless, didn’t she? Except her size...”I’m a little lost, in fact. My home is a place called Helovia. Perhaps you’ve heard of it?” His voice betrayed his uncertainty and a hint of nervousness, which he hoped she would not hear.

He was a stranger stuck in a strange land, and if this place was her home, perhaps she was as terrible as the dark and twisted things he had seen. She could even be a ghost. He shivered at the thought, glancing down into the pool where the frog had disappeared. There was no trace of it now. He would never get to hear its reply. “Could you, at the very least, tell me where I have ended up?” He tilted his head inquisitively, emerald eyes looking up at her from a face framed by glowing teal markings

"talk talk talk"

maybe i like
that i'm not alright

Image Credit