This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Guided Discussion : Absence, Companions, Magic
Boom
Currently championing:
I like that the idea where levels define relative strength between other magics, as that seems to give you the advantage in battle and such but allows you to be more creative in regular threads. I think that is a good solution for the current system which is kind of suffocating early on, but it needs more definition.

Some magics, I think, like immortality should be like an on/off switch. Either you are immortal or you are not. I don't like that currently you're sort of pidgeonholed into what I would call "pseudo immortality" since your character ages until a rather high amount of RF, meaning they die and comeback like a phoenix throughout their life, join looking old af, or start aging suddenly once arriving in the Rift. I think those creative details should be up to the owner because it can really affect character creation and ideas.

I think subconscious/conscious is a good defining line for magic. However, some things are, for lack of a better term, completely useless, where others, even if subconscious, are still "useful".

For instance, Taivas inherited a vanity magic from her mom where she glows. However, unlike Onni, whose glow actually healed those around her without conscious effort, hers is completely "useless" and strictly for what I would deem vanity. It's the same difference with Otem's sun dapples that glow and Aurelia's hooves that burn when she's angry. One has "value" outside of just looking pretty.

So, maybe instead of "vanity magic", things that exist as pure vanity (literally useless outside of appearance) should be treated as mutations, similar to having long ears or fangs.

I mean, don't get me wrong, even if you decide to make pure vanity magic "subconscious" and take up a slot, I'd still 100% choose to keep my useless glow because it's essential to Taivas's character, imo, but I just don't think having something like glimmering dapples should hold the same value in the system as being able to burn others - whether it's conscious or not.

I also think that subconscious/conscious could be as easy as allowing X and Y values of each respectively or just Z total, but keeping the same categories for more definition: subconscious healing, conscious transformation, conscious offensive, subconscious offensive, etc..
baylee
Currently championing:
So, maybe instead of "vanity magic", things that exist as pure vanity (literally useless outside of appearance) should be treated as mutations, similar to having long ears or fangs.

yessss, i really like this idea! because then you don't have to worry about your glow (or other vanity magics even, just saying glow because that's the example boom brought up with taivus) taking up an actual/useful magic slot (because you can have unlimited mutations, i believe) and since the glow really only affects your character and doesn't really do anything besides alter her look, it's actually a pretty good suggestion to say "hey lets make that a mutation!" so i'm all for integrating vanity magics into mutations :o
Blu
Currently championing:
I really like all of Booms points, especially with making most of the vanity mutations
Neowulf
Currently championing: None
Vanity magic is, actually, a part of mutations as it is, only that it's.. "not actually doing anything", which I'm advocating to change into "actually does something but is just 100% harmless/useless". Possibly we could rename it so people don't have to get it confused with magic..? Just dunno what we could call it instead.

So a recap of what I've gathered from the past few posts:

* Classify using Conscious/Subconscious, along with the categories
** Conscious Offensive: Waker can shoot poison darts if he wants to
** Subconscious Offensive: Waker shoots poison darts involuntarily each time he is insulted

* Remove the detailed restrictions
** Outside of battle, keep only the level relative strength (L6 offensive is 50% effective against L3 defensive)
** Within battle, use some kind of restriction, suggestions have been:
*** Depending on level, able to use/trigger your ability X amount of times
*** Some kind of duration (half a post, a post, etc) for more long-term effects, like storms
Proximo, are you in danger of becoming a good man?
Smitty
Currently championing:
Thanks for all the input, everyone! They've really helped me start to wrap my head around how to edit the magic system :)

Here are a few thoughts that I'm having:

- Subconscious/Conscious: I like this idea at first! However, the way a magic is used is defined in its description. And I could see how some magics could be both. I only really see the usefulness if this classification is used to replace Vanity Magic. But then it'd become case-based as to how many of either S/C magic a character could have (i.e. if the magic actually causes harm/is useful). Thus, if it becomes case-based, then it negates the purpose of an overall classification system.

- Vanity: The purpose of "Vanity Magic" is so that abnormalities only affecting appearance/design wouldn't take up a magic slot. We could change Vanity magic so that they do actually cause real effects, but only to the wielder. It cannot affect others or have lasting effect on environment.
Example = Bob has Vanity Magic of flaming hooves. They have true flames. But they do not leave lasting scorch marks on ground; nor do burn others if Bob kicks them.

- Vanity as Mutation: I'm fine with this! It would make things a little simpler, and (to me) it just seems like re-labeling :) Especially given the suggestion/idea of making Vanity Magics truly do something.

- Restrictions: ...perhaps we could entirely change the levels, and make fewer of them? (i.e. 3-5 levels instead of 10.) That way, there are less restrictions in total. Also, I agree with making restrictions looser outside of battle.

- Offensive Magic: Already planning on adding a long-term effects sub-category to Offensive magic :D

IN SUMMARY:
*Remove "Vanity Magics" and lump them into "Mutations"
*Any appearance-altering abnormality will be considered a 'Mutation'. All 'Mutations' (from long ears to glowing markings) will have the following limitations: (1) Cannot actively affect others (2) Cannot leave lasting effects on environment.
*Less magic levels, broader restrictions for each level.
*Add 'Lasting Effect' sub-category to Offensive Magics
if you don't know where to start,
go back to the beginning.
Neowulf
Currently championing: None
I'm all for your summarized vanity magic/mutation suggestion!

Now that I've thought about it, I agree that the conscious/subconscious classification isn't necessary.

As for restrictions, I, personally, would still prefer to just do away with the detailed limits. I think that the relative level strengths offer more RP opportunities (versus the detailed limits), and that sort of loses its potential if we make it fewer levels instead.
Proximo, are you in danger of becoming a good man?