This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Ill tidings
Private Ultima 
Ilunga
Currently championing:

It had quickly gotten out of hand, Ilunga mused to hirself, as ze settled into the soft sands of sheltered cove. With the span of a mere few days this southern region had been overrun with strangers and more kept welling through the Portal with every hour, until ze could no longer fully estimate the numbers. How many years had it been since the Rift last saw such an influx of new life? It ought to have been a good thing, but ze could not bring hirself to think of it in those terms. It had more the makings of an invasion, and ze knew only one realm that had so brazenly pilfered what was not theirs in the past.

That realm which the Wise ones referred to as 'Helovia'.

"We have a problem" ze stated and looked around at the equids that had answered to hir summons. The deep contralto filled the beautiful cavern with its melodic ring, but for once there was neither mischief nor laughter in the voice, and Ilunga's gaze did not glitter with mirth as ze looked between hir kinsmen. Strangers they all were, no face was truly familiar but it mattered not, for it was clear they were children of the Rift and hir request for a gathering had been acquiesced. It was enough, for now, though Ilunga worried that there were too few of them.

"As I am sure thou hast all noticed, a Portal has been opened on the northern border of this Southern region, near the edge of the Rainforest Cliffs. Since a few days ago a great number of strangers have been exiting the wormhole and are now spreading rapidly all across our lands, trampling the earth and scattering the wild things before them, like thoughtless children. As a result... something has awakened, a presence, and now it roam the area with ravenous hunger."

Ilunga's lips tightened at the memory of the presence, the foul tainted entity that had touched hir mind and devoured the magic within hir before ze could cancel the spell. It had been a frightening experience, and one that troubled hir so much that ze had set aside the inbred reluctance to associate with other races and reached out to whomever ze could find.

"I have my suspicions as to whom these intruders might be, but I would ask if either of thee has made closer contact with them, and whether thee may know more of their intentions upon coming here?"

Placing one elegant finned foreleg over the other the hippocamp inclined the head, indicating that the word was free. Outwardly the beautiful face may appear calm, but on the inside ze harbored a seething mess of conflicting emotions, all fueled and fed by the growing sense of helplessness. Pray that there was something that could be done to prevent further destruction of the realm, pray that war could be avoided and these aliens sent home without conflict.

Pray... but who would listen? Their gods were dead, and it seemed now that these barbarians had come to finish the rest of them off.

@Sidhra @Anuya @Meuric
Kahli
Currently championing:
It hasn’t taken long for the Helovians to outstay their welcome.

Our land has been dying for ages, but their fateful arrival through the portal seemed to be a defibrillation against the Rift’s dying heart, and the final death rattle erupted into a symphony of corruption. It fed off of their magic, but it fed off of ours, too. I appreciate the retention of my shifting magic, though it being tainted with agony is nearly enough to not even bother using it. But the fact that causing hearts to race or slow or stop had suddenly begun to mirror itself onto my own heart? That was way over the line, and I’ve been letting that anger fester for the past several days.

I have stalked along, not yet able to find a suitably time to begin enacting my revenge, avoiding any others who may share or dispute my desires. Besides, I was still trying to find a way to minimize the torturous effects of my magic, and that bit of discomfort was enough to discourage me from flaunting it every moment I could. I had made my way to the southern seas, wandering purposely, chasing my frustrations away by trampling any small creature that crossed my path. Besides, the crunching and sqeals that the dying emitted helped bury the awful buzzing sound that rang from my previously silent horseshoes, a sound that was incessant and infuriating.

Was it possible to feel anything other than fury these days?

As I decended into the caverns, summoned by a hippocampus - the lining of fur down my back bristles at the thought of being summoned like some mongrel cur - I couldn’t help but wonder what this was all about. Perhaps there were more who, like me, knew that this sudden influx spelled nothing good? Or perhaps they would call for peace, and kindness, and flower crowns, and I didn’t have a moment of time to spare for such nonsense.

We fill in the room, though the initial audience is a bit unimpressive, but I’m already here so I may as well listen to what the hippocamp has to say.

“It’s an infestation,” I speak up, able to hide most of my frustrations, but my words are still laced with venom. They are like ants, crawling, purposeless, destroying our beautiful portal with their senseless trampling and frantic tantrums, and it is nauseating to see their panic. Yet, there is something comforting in knowing that their soft psyches and delicate bodies have already begun to succumb to our land’s magic.

I move forward, descending my perch, evaluating the beautiful creature before me. We from the rift are beautiful, or dangerous, or both. These new creatures, they are bland, plain, subpar. “I know nothing of them, other than that they seem to be panicky creatures. I was there the night they came, and it was out of control.” I shake my head, my crown glimmering in the soft light. “I didn’t interact with any, because on the night of their arrival my magic was tampered with by some unseen force.”

I fall silent, listening for information that may be a bit more useful than my input. When all have said their piece, I speak again. “Is there a plan for what we are to do with them? I hesitate to accept them.” Goodness, is that the understatement of the year.

@Ilunga
Raistlyn
Currently championing:

He shifted, uneasy and feeling crowded in the close quarters of the secretive grotto.  Riftians milled around him, murmuring, whispering, waiting.  He did not see anyone he knew.  He had desperately hoped…

But hope was foolish and he should have known better.

Ilunga, a fascinating creature of the deep, spoke.  He was somewhat familiar with her colony, as he had done much traveling in the Rift before he was stranded in Helovia, but beyond name and appearance he didn’t know her. He listened.  Questions, so many questions.  No one seemed to know who these invaders were, or why they had come.  

The new presence dwelling in the Rift disturbed Raistlyn more than the influx of Helovians. When it had spoken to him, it had nearly shredded his mind with the power of its presence.  It felt both familiar and alien, and it seemed to know him.  Initially, he had felt an overwhelming sense of relief when he had stumbled dizzy and nauseous from the whirling vortex of the black portal.  Home.  The Rift.  He was back, at last.  But that relief had been short-lived, once the malevolent force had appeared.

The gods were dead.  So how could this be?

He had watched the slaughter of the gods that day on the sands of both Helovia and the Rift, watched and done nothing.  The dark presence of the portal was right—he was a traitor. But Raistlyn did not know if the gods were worth saving. After all, what had they done for the Riftians, except seeking to control, manipulate, and corrupt.  No, he was not sorry for the gods’ deaths.  He was sorry, however, that the Helovians had botched the job up somehow.  Perhaps they had not killed the gods after all.  

Another mare replied to Ilunga’s initial address, offering her opinion on the infestation.  The mare’s countenance was grim, her voice hostile and unforgiving. She despised the Helovians. He now wondered if many in the cavern felt the same way.  

So concerned about his own people, he had not given much thought to the Helovians when he had arrived back on home soil, other than they were much too soft for this land and that the Rift would swallow them whole, if it had not already.  What did he feel towards the godkillers?  Mostly indifference.  Resentment, if anything, a weary, strained resentment towards the godkillers. When would they learn? Perhaps they never would. Meddling in the affairs of gods, killing gods, would only bring destruction upon them all. He had learned long ago to walk his own Path, and avoid the eyes of the gods, for those eyes are hungry and jealous.

But instead of remaining indifferent, he found himself bristling with mild irritation at the marble mare’s next words. What were they going to do with them?  Like they were some sort of disease to be purged.  He snorted softly.  As if there was anything they could do.  They might very well be outnumbered at this point.  

They are Helovians,” he stated simply.  He had not planned on speaking, but no one had offered any information of substance yet. Only speculation and crude comments about infestations.  “And they have nowhere else to go. That is why they are here.”  He held the gazes of those gathered, his indigo eyes cold and flinty.  "Many Riftians crossed to their world years ago through a portal. They offered refuge and protection to us there.”  

He stated the facts and left it at that. Let them make of it what they would. In his experience, people only hear what they want to hear, and from the hostility he had seen so far, he was not so sure these Riftians would want to hear what he had to say.

these scars long have yearned for your tender caress
to bind our fortunes, damn what the stars own.
Moä Te
Currently championing:

you lose yourself

trying to hold on to nothing

She stood quietly, listening to the ramblings surrounding her.  Most of her fellow Riftians seem frustrated and unwelcoming to the strangers that were dumped here, and they all were justified.  The hippocampus spouted off words dripping with authority, and she rolled her eyes inwardly.  She always found that in dealing with the fish-tailed creatures, she felt looked down on.  They seem to always take on the role of leader.  Still, she found herself standing here, summoned by one.  She heaved a heavy breath and settled in for a lengthy debate, wishing to be back in the keys surrounded by sweet fruit and silence.  Well, as long as the island wasn't crawling with dull strangers.

Her neutral tone turned downwards as the sea-creature spoke of a force, and she subconsciously flexed the muscles that held her spines in place.  That dark feeling that ravenously tore at her magic and rendered it shattered.  She had felt it the night she watched the strangers fall.  She should have guessed that it was caused by the portal opening, but she was surrounded by chaos and screams.  Her eyes shifted, now staring at mare who spoke her peace.  Infestation?  Again her brow furrowed, aimed at her harsh words.  That hardly seems fair.  They are more like stumbling yearlings, testing their freedom and strength.  At least, that is what she has gathered by her short dealings with them.

A feline type stallion spoke next.  However, his words were not laced with hatred for the strangers...These Helovians.  They were curt, straightforward.  She parted her lips to speak.  "I have met a couple of them, and they mostly seem lost.  I haven't had any hostile dealings with them.  One even seemed curious about our home."  She silently recalled Weaver, a winged mare she met on her favorite island.  "I do not think treating them as a threat is wise, not until we have more information.  And if it is true that they provided protection to those of us lost in their world, then they deserve at least a chance. "  She quickly glanced at the stallion as she spoke, glad that she wasn't the only one not gearing up for war against the Helovians.

368 . @Ilunga  Raistlyn . notes:

Bates
Currently championing:

It wasn't his intention to follow this call to Ultima, he didn't care much for...anyone, even if it was a fellow Riftian. The only reason he came was because he needed the information. Bates would not share anything with them because he didn't care if they knew of these Helovians or not. With well placed steps the man silently entered the cave and made his way to a flat rock, the stallion laid down almost like a cat. His long white mane and tail draping all around him and hanging off the rock.

With ears folded halfway back and all four eyes half closed, Bates listened, using a front leg to push his glasses up. It seemed everyone here knew jack shit, it was rather disappointing. Bates yawned, his ripped mouth opening wide like a aligators revealing sharp teeth, his snake-like tongue stretching out long.

This little pow wow seemed incredibly disappointing as of now. Bates was thinking of leaving when a white and teal mare began speaking. Certainly she herself hadn't caught his attention, her words did. Anger boiled in his chest. All four lilac eyes were open now and they were alive with annoyance. An angry unholy screech erupted from his throat and bounced around the cave walls.

"It seems" he snarled "that one of our own has gone soft for these vermin."  Bates stood up now, towering to his full height and stepping towards the mare his sharp teeth in full view. "I think we all know Rifitians are greatly known as being strong...ruthless, we are to be feared. Yet you" Bates hissed "have seemed to go soft" he spat. Now looking to the others he says "whose to say they haven't already gotten to us....these vermin made her soft. Maybe they play weak but plan to take over the Rift and kill us...lets not forget what they did to our gods!"

I love you RoofTop! D: no hard feelings Bates is just a dick <3
@Moä Te
Anai
Currently championing:
GO AHEAD AND

The Rift had betrayed me and my stomach tossed in confusion and upset. Tears had streamed down my cheeks from the pity pools of my shining blue pits. Nowhere made sense, and I wasn't even so sure of my magic anymore. Now I found myself in yet another unfamiliar setting, of strange and unbiding tides. The only familiar aspect was of Riftian steam and like a moth to a flame, I was drawn to the edge of the cove where they gathered, listening with the undying want to be home again.

I watched, from the gentle caress of the shadows, lulling me to calmness as the gathering before me grew with Riftian blood. Their voices clotted my ears and my lids dropped to block their outlines from my vision. So many opinions and thoughts were spoke of, and I had felt my lip quiver as my legs carried me out from the gloom, but into the shadow of another who snarled criticism at his own heritage bound sister. Eyes rewoken, I glanced to the glowing fae with a tilted head, my trembling lip, and words so hostile came in my cherry sweet tone, soft enough to barely break a silence.

"They do not belong here,"

I found myself not far from the side of the four eyed, forked tongued elder. I felt his warmth and strength within his own mind and my heart was drawn to the protection of the familiar attitude. They had killed our gods, my gods. In silence, I had agreed with his words but my voice locked and throat twisted, no more to be spoken from the breath of my lungs.

CRY LITTLE GIRL

(( @Bates I think she likes u ))