This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
all these countless nights
Open Rainforest Cliffs  anybody welcome!
Volterra
Currently championing:

V O L T E R R A
HE SAYS "OH BABY GIRL, DON'T GET CUT ON MY EDGES
I'M THE KING OF EVERYTHING AND MY TONGUE IS A WEAPON"

His ears flatten irritably as the mare speaks. There's a dozen biting retorts upon his tongue, and plenty more threats of bodily violence on top of those, but with a formidable effort Volterra manages to bite them back. If this woman is intending to heal his daughter, then it is not wise to antagonise her further, else she might take it upon herself to rub arsenic into Otem's wounds. It prickles his masculine pride to allow such an insult to go unpunished, but he supposes that as Otem's father, it's his job to put her first - and that includes allowing his ego to be deflated slightly.

The spiked mare quickly moves to apologise, and Volterra's ears slowly lift themselves from their position against his scalp. "No harm done," is his response, although his deep voice is still slightly stiff as an aftereffect of his wounded pride. The woman offers her services, although she states that she is only able to lessen the pain, not remove the wound itself. Volterra wonders at what sort of Rift-born healing magic is incapable of actually healing, but he supposes an anaesthetic is better than nothing.

He's surprised to see that Otem appears to be deferring to him on this, as she'd never hit him as the sort to simply follow blindly. He takes it as a good thing that his daughter trusts him enough to make this decision for her - a niggling voice in the back of his mind tells him that nobody should ever trust him again after he failed to prevent Isopia's death, but he firmly forces such musings away for a different time. "It may make sense for you to have the pain lessened, as at least that will enable us to travel further in search of a healer." He stops just short of commanding the Rift mare to go ahead, intending to allow Otem to make the final decision, however he reminds himself that she'd trusted him enough to make the choice for her and that it may appear weak to refuse to do so. She is his child; he will do anything for her, and that involves choosing what's best.

After a swift internal battle, he offers the Rift mare a jerky nod. "Do it." Ordinarily he would leave it at that, but such a command might not go down too well with the feisty spiked woman and he doesn't want her going anywhere near Otem in a bad mood. "If you wouldn't mind - my daughter and I would be very grateful." The words are hastily added on, and are genuine despite his initial anger at the stranger's comment.

image credits

@Otem

Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
otem
You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold
The pain in Otem's shoulder seems to disappear entirely when the odd looking mare opens her mouth: the girl had never heard anyone speak to her Father like that. Anyone who came close usually received more than a handful of bruises for their verbal errors in judgement, and Otem very much doubted that now would be any different. Part of her wanted to groan at the mare, because as odd as she looked and as much as Otem was pretending that she wasn't hurt that badly, the truth was her shoulder radiated pain and the clotting blood made it feel like someone had stitched her wound shut far too tightly. But if her Father put this mare in her place, she'd probably use the magic on herself, or retract her offer to heal all together. But apparently her Father was in a generous mood, for instead of beating the mare back to her senses, he simply allowed her transgressions.

But why?

You Pandora hooted into her mind, alongside an image that radiated warmth and love from her sole remaining parent. Ahhh yes. Love and sacrifice. It wasn't only Isopia who was capable of demonstrating those emotions for her children.

"Thank you. That's very kind of you to offer. I'm Otem by the way. This is my dad Volterra, and that's Pandora." The filly nosed towards her owl as she stepped out of Volterra's shadow. Otem wasn't trying to undermine her Father, but the strange Rift mare was quite right that both of the Helovian's had completely done away with manners. And like Volterra, Otem too was worried that the mare might do more harm than good if they continued to be rude.

The autumn-coloured girl continued forward, halting and turning her body so that her wound could be seen. Even if this mare couldn't heal the wound itself, Otem would happily take a respite from the pain. "So you live here? You were born here?" The words were almost a whisper, as if the filly couldn't believe that such a thing was even possible.

Image Credits

You may always use magic/force on/against Otem.
Moä Te
Currently championing:

you lose yourself

trying to hold on to nothing

She didn't know whether to sigh with relief or smile with amusement.  Either way the stallion's obvious irritation to her remark seemed to be the only repercussion. She stared with a blank face as he spoke to his offspring, wondering if all parents are like this.  But no time to ponder and morn her own childhood.  She closed her eyes with his curt permission, only squinting them open to shoot a quick glance to the feathered mare as she introduced her little group.  She needed to concentrate if she was to do this right.  Her healing powers only came with the tear in the Rift, so she hasn't had much practice.  She inhaled deeply, gathering her concentration and strength until the orbs hanging from her shone with such brilliance that it would be blinding to look straight at. "Close your eyes, Otem."

She moved forward, becoming closer to Otem until she stood next to her.  The light engulfing her became warm, swirling around her like dust left by a fairy. It was exhausting to hold onto the power, but she clenched her jaw and sent the magic forth. It first swirled around Otem, becoming concentrated around her skull and the wound area. Her aim was to block the receptors in her brain that screamed with pain.  She could almost feel it, and her own shoulder twitched with the sensation. With a final  burst of blue light, she sent all of her strength towards the filly.

It was like watching a newborn learn his legs as she opened her eyes and moved away from the feathered girl.  Her glow had dimmed until it was barely visible.  She was sure it won't be so draining after more practice, but she has never been without her light before.  It was her security blanket, and she watched as it left her and disappeared into the stranger.  It left a faint glow about the feathered girl, and with a tired sigh, Moä let her body fall to the ground.  At least she was able to move away from the two. She felt naked, left without her light and weak from her effort. 

Remembering Otem's question, she nodded her head.  "Born and bred.  It's my home, and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I am Moä. Has your pain lessened, Otem? We can have another go at it if you need but you'll have to give me a minute." She took a deep breath, letting herself lay on the ground for another moment before stretching out her legs and pulling herself up, her muscles trembling from exhaustion.  But she will be damned if she was left compromised with the filly's sire standing there.  She liked the girl enough, but the man left a sour taste in her mouth.  Maybe it was those like him that have the natives all riled up.  In any case, she doesn't regret her offer, and softly smiled as she leaned her body into a tree.

Volterra
Currently championing:

V O L T E R R A

He stands tense and ready to leap into action as the strange mare prepares to work her magic on Otem. At the slightest sign of pain upon his daughter's face, he'll be ready to jump in and wreak havoc, but he's careful to keep his face neutral so it doesn't seem as though he's suspicious of the stranger's motives.

Despite his wariness, he can't help but be entranced by the lights that whirl around the spiked mare, as beautiful as they are frightening. He watches them until they're gone, at which point the woman staggers away, visibly drained. Volterra is alarmed - if the magic has taken so much out of her, what on earth has she done? "How do you feel? Does it still hurt?" He addresses the question towards Otem - it's obvious where his priorities lie, and they're firmly with his daughter.

He knows that he owes the Rift mare a debt of thanks, though. Otem does not seem to have suffered any adverse affect, so it appears that the woman has indeed done this from the goodness of her heart. "Thank you, Moa. It is good of you to do this for us....but might I ask why you do it? Forgive me, but I assumed your kind would not welcome us into your lands, and that you certainly would not offer us your help." Had he been hasty in assuming that? After all, Helovians had killed the Rift Gods, then come flooding through the Portal like an infestation to take over a place that they had no right to.

The behemoth shifts, taking a step closer to Moa. He does not do it threateningly - no, he's offering his massive bulk for her to rest on, lending a supportive shoulder to help her stay on her feet. It's the least he can do given the help she's given them, even if he's still inwardly rankled by her earlier comment. "You need not worry about growing weakened. I will remain to protect you from harm until you have regained your strength." It would be cowardly and vile of him to walk off and allow her to die in her weakened state after the help she'd given him - Volterra may not be an innately good man, but he's one who is always willing to repay a favour and care for those who have aided him.

image credits

@Otem

Otem the Hopebringer
Currently championing:
otem
You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold

Although closing her eyes was probably the last thing Otem wanted to do, she did as she was told. Otem couldn't necessarily see anything, but she could semi-sense the light around her increasing even behind closed eyelids. The filly desperately wanted to peak, wondering if perhaps this was a joke and really the seemingly-kind mare was just messing around and wouldn't heal her at all, until she felt a surge of vitality course through her veins so decisively and powerfully that it made her stagger backwards. Otem's wings shot out from her sides to help steady herself as her eyes opened despite the fact that she hadn't necessarily been given permission to.

Despite the look of exhaustion on the strange mare's face, Moä still appeared to be more concerned for Otem than herself. "I feel much better." The oak-marked child offered, trying to be reassuring towards her healer. "See?" Otem flexed her wing and moved her leg, both movements causing the skin on her shoulder to twist. The wound was still there of course, but Otem felt no pain.

As her father mentioned remaining to protect Moä while she regained her strength, Otem felt a selfish stirring of fear pang in her belly. What if Tamlin came back? Although Otem was happy to have her Father punish the unicorn for what he did, part of Otem also wanted to know why he had stabbed her and ran in the first place. And with Volterra around, Tamlin probably wouldn't even be able to get more than a word out before the Indomitable crushed his throat. 

"Really I feel much better Moä, thank you. Perhaps ... perhaps we could go somewhere else? Somewhere unicorns aren't running about stabbing little girls?"

Fin? I just don't want to get too far ahead of this thread in my other timelines :3

Image Credits

You may always use magic/force on/against Otem.
Volterra
Currently championing:

V O L T E R R A

As Otem moves to take her leave, Volterra is torn; does he protect his daughter as he should, or the mare who helped them? Vadir's great golden bulk quickly answers it for him as she speaks in his head; "I will protect the Rift-mare." Relief floods through him and he thanks the queen with a nod. "I must go with my daughter, but my dragon will protect you until you are fit and rested. I would like to continue our conversation another time, though - thank you again for all your help." Vadir flares her great wings and flutters to a tree branch above Moa, grinning a menacing and fang-filled grin. She will easily protect the mare from predators, and Volterra knows that he can trust her to do everything she needs to do in order to ensure their saviour does not come to harm.

That leaves him free to leave with Otem. He offers a final nod to the mare - somewhat stiff, as he's still mildly irked by her earlier comment - then moves with his daughter away from this place, ready to protect her from any, as she puts it, unicorns who stab little girls. Let them try!

image credits

@Moä Te we can have a thread set after this if you want :D