This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
just one
Trial Solanis 
Explorer Kiada
Currently championing: Vjanta
K I A D A
your battle-worn tongue doesn't say the truth anymore.
that you are ruined  —
She didn’t know where exactly to look, but something tugged her to the Western Mists. She imagined the beaked bear as some sort of giant bear creature, with a beak (obviously) though how it was arranged and how grotesque it looked, she wasn’t entirely sure. A quiet sigh slipped through her lips as the prospect, uncertain of how to bring one down. If she summoned flames, would she be able to refrain from destroying an eye? Were they enchanted to where she couldn’t if she needed it so badly? There were so many questions she had and she didn’t even know where to begin.

Luckily for her, Rixen had accompanied her. Whether or not it was because he wanted to ensure that she didn’t burn her tongue off or because he genuinely liked her company. She preferred the latter, though she was certain it had to do with both. But she still found herself wandering the edges of Solanis, hanging out toward the trees in the hopes that something would cross her vision or something would pull her toward it. The black sticky tar that settled between her shoulders and deep within her heart had felt heavy, but something about this area seemed to feel right.

As she paused near a tree, she glanced to Rixen – wherever he was – and offered a calm smile, hoping that she looked as though she had her wits about her despite the fact she didn’t. “I don’t even know what a beaked bear looks like. Bears like forests and trees right? This feels right.” She complained, dragging on and on, though she might have been attempting to stall just in case it was right in front of them. She really didn’t want to eat an eye of all things.

"Talk."

and you wonder why he lets you — the butcher
touch him — the sun

x

@Rixen :D Kiada's trial autofails on the 8th of August, so hopefully we can get it done before then!!

Consume the eye of a Beaked Bear.

TROY FALLS A THOUSAND TIMES,
IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
LIKE A STAR BURNING OUT.)
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
the Rift
The forest of Solanis is ripe with strange flora and fauna and the freezing-cold air is filled with their vibrant chorus. It is a world of giants and breathtaking colour, a clever veil too for the astonishing wildlife spread throughout.

A small family of shy Cervavo linger between the trees near where you pause. They watch nervously, for their kind is sought by poachers often, and flee quickly into the undergrowth when the sound of your voice rises through the ambience.

Solar flowers beam brightly around your feet, smiling always, defusing the intensity of Freeze’s wicked cold against your legs. Others too are drawn to the warmth, Snargli, biding time until the absent-minded or weak wander by.

Many other creatures sleep through the day, though, if one invests fair interest, their beds may be found hidden throughout the vast forest.
» Presence of the Rift «

Rixen the Vine King
RIXEN
and if you are to love, love as the moon loves;

"I’ve never seen one, either. A cross between a bear and a bird, perhaps? Either way, I’d imagine a beaked bear’s appearance to be rather funny." I said as cheerfully as possible as I walked along beside the mare. A heavy exhalation escaped my lungs, accompanied by words in lower tones, spoken half to myself. "Who ever invented such a strange beast… only in the Rift." No offense, Rift gods, if you're out there listening. My antler swung ever so slightly to and fro as I shook my head, brow furrowed upon trying to picture what this sort of animal would look like. "You think this is the right place?"

I kept alert as we made our way through the trees now, weaving steadily between them wherever there was enough room for horses to fit. My ears swiveled back and forth, listening for the sound of movement that belonged to a beaked bear - if we were lucky. The two jewels that were my glittering, emerald gaze scanned the surrounding area intently. Thus far, however, there was nothing to indicate that anyone else was close by. Hopefully we’d soon happen upon a trace, a trail to follow. The sooner this was over with, the better.

"How does one even remove the eye from the bear?" I asked without really expecting an answer, shuddered at the implications. The thought was probably a thought best saved for when the problem arose. However it was done, the process sure wasn’t going to be pretty. I felt a pang of pity for Kiada, thinking about how unfortunate it was for the Rift to bestow her with such an uncanny task. The mare was strong, though, in body and spirit. I knew she could get through this. And of course, she’d have me, making light of the situation wherever I could. Although I could not be the one to judge just how adroit my sense of humor was. Hopefully Kiada’s expression would reveal the answer. But for now, the gilded woman seemed focused on the task at hand.

"Talk."

it does not steal the night —
it only unveils the beauty of the dark

img

@Kiada
{Image: untitled_drawing_by_indelyde-dceus9t.png}
Explorer Kiada
K I A D A
that you are ruined  —
Rixen’s voice piped up above her thoughts and she couldn’t help the smile that grew on her lips at his jest. A slight laugh slipped through her pink lips, perhaps due to worry and the fact that she was finally seeking out the famous Beaked Bear. “Probably will be.” She admitted to him quietly, bobbing her head slightly in agreement to the creation of such a creature. Then, he asked if it was the right place and Kiada’s gut began twisting. “I don’t know.” She admitted perhaps a bit sheepishly, continuing to move through the trees, pausing now and then to see if she could scent anything or hear anything.

She could hear a few different creatures, mostly small ones hidden away in the underbrush and beside the trees that they paused nearby, but nothing that seemed to harbor the strength and power she imagined a bear did. Then, Rixen’s voice slipped past her again, causing a slight frown to cross her lips and a shudder to run down her spine. “I imagine I’ll have to kill it, but if we’re lucky perhaps it’ll already be dead by the time we find one.” She nearly muttered, glancing around toward the thicker trees.

Then, as if preparing, she glanced at Rixen, trying her best to seem strong and willful when the biggest thing she wanted to do was to go and hide. Feeling like you’re drowning constantly isn’t the worst thing, right? At least her body had distinguished the difference between it and real life at this point. But it was still incredibly annoying in the morning and while she slept. She lowered her inky head to the new piece of armor she had received, a scaly crocodile-like piece of armor that camouflaged her from sight and sound when she stood still, but she continued to move. She came prepared with her rose gold headdress, the tips of the blades she ignited in the teal flames, and nosed her shoulder where the blade sat tucked away safely. “Hardest part is going to be trying not to burn up the eyes if I do have to kill it.” She sighed, continuing to move toward the thick trees.

Once she broke through the thickest of them, she noticed a few places that looked as though they might have been nests or places that something rather large may have slept on for quite some time. The ground flattened and worn looking. Hope sparked in her chest, and she glanced at Rixen while she poked at a bed with her charcoal hoof, trying not to make much noise.

"Talk."

touch him — the sun

x

@Rixen oh boy :DD

IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
the Rift
The nest was indeed used by the curious combination of creatures you seek. A large male Beaked Owl slumbered through the lit hours here, only yesterday. You have wandered into his territory and by some fortune, you are aware of his presence, before he is of you—

Movement…

Is it behind you?

Yes.

But the fronds of giant fern to your front shake violently, too.

A startlingly black creature, beaked and owl-eyed, bursts into view and it doesn’t look friendly. It stands relatively tall, rising perhaps to the height of your shoulder and its body, part feathered, part furred, appears thick and well muscled—just like a bears.

The Beaked Bear has returned to its nest after a brief time spent foraging. It does look surprised to see you, so why is it in such a foul mood?

Again the foliage behind you quivers. Unlike the beast’s entrance before you, there is something unsettlingly subtle about it; like someone is stalking you…

Your prey is growling, but its aggression seems ill-targeted for his great shining eyes are looking straight through you, or past you. All of a sudden, another creature appears through the giant forest and its prowl is low and slow, and menacing. The Harpax has been trailing you, quietly and patiently, for horse is its favourite flavour; succulent, sweet.

It is coloured vibrantly, like the leaves and trees it thrives in, and feathers flare from its shoulders, enlarging its predatory look.

The Beaked Bear’s growl grows—he doesn’t like this intruder at all.

What should you do?

@Rixen
» Presence of the Rift «

Rixen the Vine King
RIXEN

I nodded along as we walked, one ear pointed toward Kiada and the other swiveling about, listening to the forest sounds around us. Unlike the mare, I wore no armor yet. The golden pendant still hung safely around my neck, swaying gently from side to side with the motions of my body that carried it forward. "Hopefully." Hopefully I wouldn’t have to put the golden cuirass to the test. We were both in agreement about at least one aspect of Kiada’s trial: everything would be so much simpler, and of course cleaner, if we didn’t have to kill the beaked bear first. But I doubted that the Rift would make this that easy.

Still, the gilded woman at my side marched forward with apparent confidence and determination to rid herself of the horrible drowning feeling she’d described. I caught her eye on its way toward scanning the trees, offering her a small, encouraging smile. My voice was soft, but not in a way that might be perceived as delicate. The words did not shake. They were surprisingly steady, which was not at all how I felt. Quite the opposite, in fact. "We’ll figure out what to do, if it comes down to that. Maybe it’ll taste better cooked." This was the best solution that I could provide, with a hint of humor to make it a little less bleak.

I’d be lying if I didn’t admit the uneasiness that was welling within me by now, although my nature was too proud to let such feelings shine through. The was no time to allow myself to drift off in thought about the roots of my worry, for it was of utmost important to stay alert and be on the lookout for the task at hoof. And a beaked bear - well, it sounded like the sort of creature that couldn’t be missed, even if you were hardly looking. What I, we, didn’t want to happen, though, was for it to become aware of our presence before we realized it was nearby. A surprise attack was the last thing we needed.

Oh, the irony of thinking such a thought.

Kiada had taken to poking around, and I’d begun to pace about, searching for any signs of the presence of a beaked bear. Perhaps some claw marks on the trees, or a tuft of fur. Any indication that one might be nearby. As of yet, there had been no unusual sounds, none that had caught my attention. The clip-clopping of our own hoofbeats was just that - our own. Occasionally there would be the chirping of birds, and the rustling of the leaves overhead as the winter breeze raked through them. Nothing that belonged to a bear.

Then there was the rustling of leaves again, more violently than before. And this time, the sound wasn’t coming from above. It was the bear. What a pleasant surprise.

"Kiada..." Was all I could manage before the black shadow of a creature burst out from the ferns directly in front of me. Its eyes seemed to bore right into me, a snarl on its lips, and I stared directly back, frozen. I had a front row view of its yellowish teeth, razor sharp and gleaming in the sunlight. Just like that, the bear had found us first. There was no longer time to think; to plan. Because, as it turned out, the bear wasn’t intently watching me. Its beady gaze was locked on something else. Something behind us. Did I dare turn around and look?

Slowly, my antlered head swiveled to the right, enough to look over my shoulder and see the Harpax standing there. I tried to catch Kiada’s eye, to make sure that we were on the same page about our next move, even if all we could do was communicate through the connection of our gazes. Perhaps the two creatures were more than we could take on alone. Could we fight them both? Or was it better to wait and see if they took care of each other? Maybe now it was time to bust out the armor.

"Talk."

img

@Kiada
Explorer Kiada
K I A D A
that you are ruined  —
A shudder crept down her spine at the thought of what she’d have to do to this bear if she found it. Would she have the heart in her to kill it if they stumbled upon it sleeping? Would she be able to then carve out the eye to consume it after her hooves became bloody with what she’d done? Her mind said no, but the darkness within her chest roiled excitedly at the prospect. She inhaled deeply through her nose and exhaled quietly through her mouth before looking to Rixen as he began his jest. It soothed some of the anxiety pooling in her gut and she found herself quietly chuckling along with his words. “I hope it works if it’s cooked. I’ll be extremely mad that I’ve eaten this without any results.” She muttered half heartedly.

But they continued to search, and she found herself looking through the nests beside Rixen yet far enough away that they had their own sections to search, before something began to move. There was a sound at first, quiet but growing increasingly loud and the bush in front of them began to quiver, shaking so violently that Kiada’s ears immediately pinned back and slowly lowered her head so her crescent shaped horn pointed at it. But suddenly, behind them, a large creature breaks through from the foliage and Kiada’s head swiveled perhaps to her detriment.

It was huge! She felt her heart leap a million beats a second, eyeing this creature that was so large, so upset, boring its eyes into them. But… As she stared longer and the seconds passed on, the Beaked Bear didn’t appear to be looking at them, but rather through them. She didn’t know if she needed to move, if the movement would distract the bear from whatever it was looking at. Suddenly, she felt helpless, yet she glanced and happened to catch Rixen’s eye. A shudder crawling down her spine once more.

Her bright blue eyes surveyed what was before them again, a beaked bear and a large predatory creature. Then, before she had a chance to think about what she did, she lifted her dark inky hooves and began to side step the best she could without drawing attention. Perhaps the predator would take on the Bear and it would kill it for them? She glanced over to Rixen to see if he could understand what she meant by making the area bigger, so that if the Harpax attacked, the Bear would attack it as well. Then, she lowered her head to where Reszo’s knife was stored gently and held it tight between her teeth, trying to move slowly to not draw attention. If this didn’t work, she figured she’d try to get in the middle of it and get them to fight one another where she could try and slip away, but something told her she wouldn’t leave this meadow unscathed.

"Talk."

touch him — the sun

x

@Rixen OOOOH MAN. Also, Rift Presence, feel free to attack Kiada/harm her, whatever youd like!!

IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
the Rift
Hairless skin ripples wildly as the taut, trained network of muscles beneath flex and bind excitedly. The hard, ebon crown upon his brow lifts with measure, glinting wickedly in the moody rainforest light and alien-like nostrils, barely slits at the tip of the hunter’s brawny muzzle suck the delightful flavour of your presence. A tongue, perhaps, flickers momentarily into view, caressing translucent the whiskers that are bristled forward like a fan. There is something disturbing, or fearsome, about his appearance, though undoubtedly he is the perfect-looking predator.

The beaked bear’s deep rumbling, guttural growl is not deterred by this enemy and his beady, black eyes are lost beneath the flare of the feathers forming his owlish facial disk. It is a warning, intensified.

The Harpax’s expression narrows coldly upon his prey, the horses, for he is unconcerned by the lesser creature whose nest he is invading. Razor-sharp claws grind the soft, fertile soil they rest upon, and his haunches behind, clench visibly, unclothed—then, without further warning, he is sailing forward like a streak, a blur of movement through the air. Cruel, serrated teeth flash, ugly and yellow, suggesting that even a graze might inflict severe infection, and sticky strings of saliva stream backwards from his jaws, wetting the shoulder coming after.

The Beaked Bear interjects him, hustling forward with far less finesse before lifting to a bigger, upright position. The long, thick pelt he wears tosses to the tune of his unbridled anger, defending his trembling skin like armour as the Harpax sets furiously upon him. Those teeth, however, jagged, vicious knives, cut through the dancing layers with ease; clumps of ink-black quickly carpeting the ground.

There is a pained yowl, though which creature throws it you cannot yet say.

Above the hair splatters of blood become visible.

Through the tangled bodies, steaming breath and movement, the skin of the hunter is turning crimson. The beaked bear, easily larger, is fighting to the death, defending his nest with breathtaking determination. The savagery continues for a long while, neither creature, it seems, willing to surrender to the other—that is, until the apex predator slumps down beneath the victor, his jugular at last sliced clean through. The one you seek, however, is no less wounded and though he struggles a few feet clear of the killed Harpax, he too falls at last.

Should you choose to approach him, you will notice the fierceness now clouded from his eyes; instead, they are riddled with pain and suffering. His left fore hangs from the shoulder by a thread, severed by the cunning claws of his opponent. Blood gushes gruesomely and the, now, helpless, hopeless creature twitches in agony.

@Rixen @Kiada

It appears that you are safe, the Harpax has been slain. The Beaked Bear, however, lays suffering. What action will you take next?
» Presence of the Rift «

Rixen the Vine King
RIXEN

Kiada and I stood in terror as the beasts loomed before us and behind us. We were completely surrounded, caught smack dab in the middle of what could soon become a bloody brawl. Both were angry, snarling, and ready to attack. But the question loomed in the air which was so heavy with tension that a knife could slice right through it: would they aim their blows at one another, or at us? We weren’t outflanked, exactly, but instead equalled. Still, this was definitely more than we had bargained to take on, and I knew it would be difficult to keep my wits about me. I supposed we should have anticipated something like this happening, but it seemed safe to say that we were more focused on the gruesome aspects of eating a bear’s eye, and the difficulties that such a task might entail, than about any other troubles we might encounter along the way.

On the bright side, we’d found the beaked bear in no time at all. There was only one problem: now there was a harpax to deal with, too. It was like the Rift was testing us, placing one more obstacle between Kiada and the completion of her trial, just to see what might happen. I was just as curious, but also a little bit terrified. Hopefully there weren’t any more surprises awaiting us. Trying not to draw the bear or the harpax’s attention toward us, I managed to make subtle eye contact with Kiada, wondering if we were thinking along the same lines.

It was difficult to be sure without uttering a word, but I knew I could be certain enough when the gilded mare ever so slowly began to step to the side, out of their path, hoping that they were both too fixated on each other to turn on her. I watched her for another moment, antlered head following her movements slowly, as if to make sure that I was right about her intentions. There wasn’t much time to waste before either of the creatures attacked, however, so I didn’t wait much longer before following in the same motions. It was better if we didn’t try to fight both the harpax and the bear at one. Perhaps, with a little luck, we’d be ignored and could avoid a fight altogether. Placing one hoof after the other, I ever so carefully stepped out of harm’s way, emerald-hued eyes shifting back and forth from Kiada to the bear to the harpax, watching for any further actions from any of them. I breathed a small sigh of relief, albeit a temporary one, when I was at last standing somewhat close to Kiada. This wasn’t over yet, however, and the spotted mare seemed to know better, drawing her dagger and holding it between her teeth, prepared for things to turn ugly at any moment.  

For the harpax, our movements hadn’t gone unnoticed. As a matter of fact, they seemed to anger him more. His expression was angry, savage, teeth bared beneath his curled lip like a million tiny razors ready to slice through flesh and taste blood. His icy gaze was fixed on us, and I was frozen in place. But when he sprang, aiming to attack, a dark figure leapt in the way. It was the bear. There was a brief struggle, a flash of teeth and claws, before the bear became the harpax’s next victim, absorbing a number of devastating blows that were surely meant for us. But the bear proved to be a formidable opponent, one that I was glad we would not have to face. Blood seeped onto the ground from a deep gash torn in the harpax’s neck, staining the earth beneath his body a dark reddish-brown color as it collapsed. The bear lingered over his kill like a shadow. Would he come for us next? But as the bear turned in our direction, I could see that he’d sustained many injuries, and he collapsed to the ground after a few more steps.

When I was sure that he was too weak to pose any threat, I crept toward him, stretching my neck out so that I wouldn’t have to get too close. The bear’s flanks were still heaving, twitching, fighting for breath. "The bear’s not dead." Was all I could think to say, even though its circumstances were probably pretty obvious. The wounded animal was fighting for life, but the future was bleak. Kiada still needed to eat one of the bear’s eyes. It would be cruel not to kill him first, end his pain rather than add to it. Without saying another word, and taking a deep breath, I stepped forward, hoping the bear wouldn’t lash out. I aimed a swift blow of my front hoof squarely in the direction of his skull, intending to crack his skull, or in some way put him out of his misery.

"Talk."

img

@Kiada
Explorer Kiada
K I A D A
that you are ruined  —
So much was happening at once. She tried her best to keep her eye on Rixen as he moved to the side, following her movements and intentions while she palmed her knife, trying to avoid getting attacked by the Harpax. It seemed the creature was intent on swarming them, seemingly unabashed by the prospect of the Beaked Bear as well. She inhaled slowly yet deeply, hoping that perhaps the Harpax would miss if it chose to attack them, and instead, would focus on the Bear. Yet, as it began to attack, the Bear moved first.

At first Kiada watched in slight horror while the Bear took the attack that was surely meant for them. Her icy eyes growing wide as she shot a glance toward Rixen almost as if she couldn’t believe it. The two struggled in their fight, and after what felt like an eternity, the Harpax fell. Yet the Bear remained – at least briefly, before collapsing as well. Kiada’s breath was coming quick and perhaps a bit raspy as she still couldn’t understand what was happening around her. She watched quietly as Rixen moved toward the Bear, announcing that it wasn’t dead yet and her heart began to shift, swallowed whole by what she still had to do.

She watched in quiet awe as Rixen took the final blow for the Beaked Bear. And she palmed the knife a bit harder as she sluggishly made her way toward the felled Bear, checking to make sure that it indeed was dead, and when it was, she used her knife to the best of her abilities to carve the eye from the Bear’s now partially caved in skull. Her stomach was flip flopping with the movement, especially from knowing she still needed to eat the eye, but she needed her feeling gone, she needed to be able to breathe better. Perhaps this is what being selfish felt like – it had been so long since she had felt this way, and she wasn’t fond of it. Yet the darkness within her writhed in happiness.

When she had finally carved the eye out, she closed her eyes, tossing the blade to the ground with ease before reaching out and grabbing the eye – hoping that perhaps swallowing it whole would be considered good enough, and that she didn’t have to chew such a thing. She fight the urge to gag and when she was finished, a shiver ran down her spine and she looked to Rixen with a slightly melancholy look. “I’m not sure if it worked.” She said, slightly raspy and partially upset, her ears hanging low. Perhaps she needed to wait more time. With the events of today, she was prepared with waiting all day should it work. And she intended to.

"Talk."

touch him — the sun

x

@Rixen <3 Kiadas just going to hang out here so you can consider it the end of her posts!

IN EVERY DREAM I DREAM.
(LIKE ASHES, LIKE ASHES,