This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Whatever It Takes
Open Rainforest Cliffs 
Rixen the Vine King
Currently championing: Vjanta
RIXEN
i have late night conversations with the moon;

I walked along the cliff's edge. Not too close - it was high up, and that meant that one wrong step could put you over, send you flying, falling through the air and crashing into whatever lay below. A morbid thought. There was the rhythmic sound of the waves slapping against the jagged rocks: slap, slap, slap. I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the waves. But the view was beautiful from up here, and I thought it worthwhile to take the risk of walking as close to it was possibly. I had sense, so not too close of course. I wasn't that daring. 

It was nice to trace my way along the cliff, keeping a perfect distance between myself and the drop. The entire ocean, stretching for miles, was visible from here. The water was dark blue, a reflection of the cold grey sky. This was not an unusual sight for the winter months. In some places of the Rift, this time of year meant that everything was shrouded in darkness and the sun did not come out. Fortunately, warmth still found its way to Halyven, where I lived, somehow, and we did not have to endure the Rift's most extreme natural elements.

Each sturdy hoof carried my lingeringly forward. Every now and then I would pause, to breathe, to soak in the view. The clouds were actually rather thin, and it allowed me to see a great distance across the ocean from where I stood. The wind came in gusts now and then, tossing my black and white-hued tresses to and fro. This I did not mind. On my mind, as usual, dwindled the thoughts of my herd. What needed to be accomplished next. Mundane things, like when we should begin to train the foals, what time was best to send out regular patrols, where we should organize various building materials, and so on and so forth. My focus would fade in and out, between important matters and wandering to the gently rolling sea. 

"Talk."

he tells me about the sun
and I tell him about you.

img

@Amarantha and anyone else who wants to join in! :D
{Image: untitled_drawing_by_indelyde-dceus9t.png}
Eira
Currently championing: Reszo
Eira was more than pleased to be free from the tangle of shadow and queer neon foliage whose unsettling, undeniably shocking variety of hues, made any feeling of contentment or inner-peace, impossible.

The level of relief was obvious, visible in the swing of her awkward, slow gait, the bob of the giant head perched at the tip of her scrawny, horizontal neck, but perhaps it was most notable in the softness again written through her strange, young expression. Furry ears bounced freely upon the pinnacle of her pointed poll and her eyes rolled gently, even casually, from left to right, scanning the changing scenery around them for any shift or movement.

The region beneath the Portal was behind them.

Pausing for a moment, Eira’s thoughts announced with considerably more brightness, “This is the rainforest, now.” The young horse offered a forward sweeping gesture with her narrow maw, lips curled into a fresh, unbridled smile, and afterwards, her too-large head swung back to allow her curious eyes vantage of the other. She sought the mare's thoughts about this through expression, gaze swimming between the pretty pools highlighting the face beneath her horn, examining the lines riddling her exquisite complexion for any suggestion made available.

The storm she had generated still rumbled in the distance, its black presence lost beneath a new canopy of thicker foliage. The wind by the border where they were halted was less and above them, the sky was a milder, bleak grey.

They still had an awfully long journey ahead—secretly, the sickly waif dreaded it, but this creature offered nice company and that soothed a good portion of the burden. “Come on!” Eira’s mind continued only when enough time had been given for the other to absorb her changing circumstance; bent knees lead them forward once more, cloven toes finding a path to follow that was well travelled and comfortably broad between the thickening forest timber. Many times this labyrinth had swallowed her…

It was difficult to be sure of the time. Eira was aware that a solid span of hours had passed since they’d met in the shadows, and fatigue nagged constantly at her thin, weak frame. Occasionally, when the weariness felt unbearable, the scrawny filly asked her friend for a break and slipped beneath a light blanket of sleep to recover—never did she seek to nourish herself with browse.

When deepening shadow signalled the fading light of afternoon, the ease had been lost from her gaunt appearance and nervousness was leaking into the contours of her expression; this (the whole of the Rift too), after dark, was not a safe place for wounded souls without protection. Eira had been chased by many of the predators in the rainforest, and dreaded demise should they not be able to evade them now. Another problem dawned too, as they came upon the first rocks before the cliff. “I…” her mind stuttered, wracked with guilt and swollen shame, “I think we’re lost.” At that point, the filly’s stride came to a stop and she turned with remorseful eyes to find the other mare.

@Amarantha
Amarantha

Strange, unfamiliar shapes loom out of the twilight. Trees and plants she had never seen before.  Neon lights flickered eerily, sending colored shadows dancing across the blankness, confusing the eye. There wass a sense of being watched, and unfamiliar cries hung in the air. If ever Amarantha doubted how far she was from home, every careful step brought  fresh proof.

As they left the area of the portal, with it's sudden and inexplicable storm behind, Amarantha felt a sense of relief. When, an indeterminable later, Eira announced that they had arrived at the rainforest, she seemed relieved too. Amaratha nodded acknowledgement and then, because the younger females gaze seemed epectant, she said, "I'm glad to be away from there. My home was a forest like this one," she added a little wistfully, mostly to herself. Light rippled briefly across her skin.

As they traveled, Amarantha noted her guide's growing need for rest, a that she hadn't eaten. Given the state of her legs, she knew it must be hard for the young filly to keep up this pace. More than once, she considered telling her to stop, rest, and eat. But she wasn't sure how this skittish young waif would take orders from a total stranger. Besides, for all Amarantha knew, their destination might have been just around the corner, and the dim twilight of the day was turning into true night. She knew, instinctively, that they didn't want to be caught here after dark.

When Eira admitted that she was lost, Amarantha's heart sank. Not that she regretted following Eira - even a guide who was lost was better than none at all in a strange place. But she worried that she might not be able to protect the both of them if they were attacked. She could see the unhappiness in her young friend's expression though, and mustered all her calmness and poise to avoid alarming her further.

"We'll need to find a place to shelter until light," she said in neutral tones. "Maybe a tree with overhanging branches we can shelter under, and a sturdy trunk to put our backs to"

And please Goddess don't let there be anything up in the canopy to drop down on us, she prayed silently.

"Come," she gestured with her head, "let's see what we can find." As they walked to find shelter, Amarantha hoped that they found it before something found them.

"Talk"

Amarantha
You were named for the Amaranth
Whose bloom means life unending
And whose name means "Love Lies Bleeding"

@Eira @Rixen
Rixen the Vine King
RIXEN

There was the crashing of the waves below. The whistling of the wind rising up from the water, up, up over the rocky cliffside. Occasionally, a bird would screech from above as it flew by, gliding easily on sleek, silver-feathered wings. Then there was the faint sound of voices. 

At first, I thought I might just be hearing things. I hadn’t seen anyone around on the trek to reach the oceanside, nor had I spotted anyone wandering along the same path I was now. The words, though I was unable to distinguish which they were or form them into coherent sentences, couldn’t have come from the rocks below. The drop was far, far below. One could probably fly down there if they really wanted to, but it seemed like a dangerous place, certainly not ideal spot for sightseeing or mulling about. I didn’t have wings, though, so I’d probably never make the trip to find out.

My antlered head swung around slowly, my emerald gaze scanning the foliage that lay on the side opposite the water. I didn’t see anyone, but it would be no surprise if the source of the voices was coming from somewhere nearby. The rainforest was a rather quiet place, eerily so, and that meant that any noise, even the snapping of a branch beneath one’s hoof, tended to travel around quickly and easily. 

So I veered away from the sandy edge, and began to make my way in what I guessed was the right direction. I’d soon find out. Both ears swiveled back and forth, listening intently for any more sound to grasp onto. Indeed there was: we need to find a place to shelter until light. Newcomers, perhaps?

Picking my way carefully through the tangled, fallen branches that obstructed my path, I veered slightly to the right. I was among the trees now, a little way into the forest, but not so far from the water that I couldn’t hear it, or smell the salty tang that still hung in the air. Everything around me was a mixture of faded greens and gray, the color of the sky, which was still visible between the leafy canopy. 

I could see two shapes between the trees. One familiar, the young filly, and one not so much - she was a vibrantly colored creature, decorated with bluish markings that glowed faintly. They were hard to miss against her muted backdrop. The rustling of leaves brushing against my flanks announced my presence as I stepped through a gap formed by two closely growing saplings. "Hello little one. It is getting a little late to be traveling out to the cliffside - the sun will be setting soon. I was just about to make my way back, and I hope you were intending to do the same." I smiled at Eira, then turned to look directly at the stranger, scanning her for a moment, from nose to silken tail. "And who might you be?"

"Talk."

img

@Amarantha @Eira
Amarantha

A rustle of leaves, the snap of twigs, and a shape emerging through the dense undergrowth. Amarantha pivots around on her good leg, lowering her horn to charge.

She realizes her error, however, when the new arrival turns out to be a striking, antlered stallion who greets Eira with warm familiarity. If he were a threat the silver filly would never have have responded with equal friendliness.

Having greeted Eira, the stallion scrutinizes Amarantha briefly. His expression is calm and level, giving nothing away. Amarantha relaxes her posture and politely inclines her head. Hopefully she hasn't made an bad first impression by nearly attacking him.

"My name is Amarantha," she replies to his question.

"Eira found me in the other forest - the portal? - and was kind enough to offer me hospitality. I have little to offer in return but gratitude, I'm afraid."

A flicker of doubt ripples down her spine and across her skin. Yes, Eira had offered her a place to stay, but she was little more than a child. Would the adults be as welcoming of a stranger?

"Talk"

Amarantha

@Eira @Rixen

Argh, sorry, I messed up the post order! I got on a roll and didn't notice. Would you like me to take this down until Eira posts?
Eira
Currently championing: Reszo
The small snowman lagged behind them, considerably, with an unwarranted look of vexation decorating its face and enchanted balls of fresh powder white forming quickly in one dead-stick palm when it was empty. The peculiar (and not particularly appreciated) creature was hurling each snowball forward with a vengeance toward Amarantha, though the majority of the time their target, it seemed, was missed; it would pause then, falling further behind, scowling angrily, no doubt cursing and muttering in it’s secretive mind.

Eira could never understand why it felt so inclined to assault the world around them, innocents usually, whether equid like her or wildlife avoiding her path—none were spared his unfriendly tactic.

When they paused, the young winged horse revealing the misfortune surrounding their path, the snowman was able to catch up, aiming a cold, wet missile at his oblivious companion, as she revealed the misfortune surrounding their circumstance.

Dark eyes swerved to find him squaring a sharp, reprimanding look as they went, before returning to Amarantha who had taken the news with surprisingly unexpected poise—certainly she, the unlucky waif, had felt rather swamped by a wave of sticky pessimism. Her ears pricked up though, as the calm words of the older, wiser mare revealed a fresh plan, and Eira was mighty glad to relinquish the responsibility of leadership that very second. Her whole exterior seemed to slim down a little; the chewed, butchered feathers flattened, her neck stooped still further, and she presented a more natural submissiveness than the bold, confident display she’d been pretending. So too did a sigh slip past her lips, confirming her relief.

As Amarantha began to turn, leading down a path that seemed to parallel the plunge to the beach below (though the taste of salt soured the air, the ocean was still well out of their view thanks to the thick timber and shrubbery), the little winged horse suggested silently, “There are trees with weeping branches and silver veins. I have slept beneath them before.”

Then, before their search had gained any momentum, there was a scrabbling sound through the thick forest litter, and both horses turned upon their haunches to meet the surprise arrival of another—Rixen. Through the dimness, evenings smooth shade folding down upon them all, Eira traced the familiar line of his handsome headdress, strewn, of course, with vine, and the series of diamonds that descended his proud-looking, elevated face. “Rixen!” Her thoughts beamed allowed, yet unable to deviate or distinguish between the minds that were present. The timid child wanted so very much to fold beneath the curves of his powerful figure into safety, but her bent forelegs held position and she remained close to her stormy-coloured friend.

In turn, the stallion addressed them both.

Rapidly her huge head bounced, both agreeing and accepting his fair statement as an invitation, and though she considered speaking on behalf of Amarantha, there seemed to be no need—the horned mare addressed the Kingdom of Halyven’s benevolent ruler without hesitation. A soft, placid smile swept through Eira’s hollowed expression, confirming the tale to be true.

Rixen the Vine King
RIXEN

As I emerged into the clearing, the filly and the mare turned to face me. Upon recognizing me, Eira seemed to perk up a little, beaming at me from where she held her ground beside the newcomer. I didn't bother to ask her precisely what they were doing here. At first, the stranger’s horn was lowered defensively, which I did not blame her for; I could have been a monster in search of his next kill, for all she knew. But my intentions were not to cause them harm, and the mare was quick to realize that I posed no threat to her nor to Eira. At this, she seemed to relax, drawing her head back up and offering a small nod, watching me closely as I addressed Eira.

It was not Eira who introduces the newcomer to me, however, but instead the purple-hued mare herself. Even if the mare was feeling them, she did not show any signs of fear nor haught, but instead gave me her name, Amarantha, with a mien of calmness. She seemed like a friendly character, perhaps knowledgeable in some area or another, someone who would be useful to the herd. The criteria was relatively loose.

"I suspected as much. All newcomers arrive here through the Portal." I smiled at Amarantha, an inviting look that would reassure her that my intentions were good. "If a home and a family is what you seek, I am happy to provide those to you. Our herd is small, albeit growing rapidly. We are always looking to add to our ranks. Do not fear, though, we ask for nothing in return aside from your loyalty and willingness to contribute to the greater whole." I paused, "Oh- I should not forget to introduce myself properly. I am Rixen, the Vine King, one of Halyven’s two herd leaders. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Briefly, I glanced around, verdant gaze flicking around the tall, limber trees. It was growing darker by the minute, the sky a deeper shade of blue-gray. The clouds were visible through the treetops, thick, dark splotches blocking out the last daylight. A shiver ran down my spine, not because of the present temperature, but rather at the thought of the fierce cold that was soon to come. "We’d best get going, before it’s too dark to travel. I’m sure you have many questions, which we are happy to answer. However, they will have to wait until we return to the city. As you will come to learn if you have not already, the Rift is a rather relentless place and it’s not safe to be wandering about after nightfall." I paused momentarily, waiting to see if either of them had anything to add or ask before I continued.

"Not to rush your sightseeing, but… it would be wise to take our leave. It’s this way." These words were spoken with a gesture straight ahead, made with a brief flick of my head, taking a few steps in that direction, before turning to look at the mares, making sure that they were intending to follow.

"Talk."

img

@Eira @Amarantha
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
There is sudden movement, somewhere in the timber, the frantic rustle of foliage as something draws near.

The footsteps do not thump as though great weight bears down upon them, though the sharp rake of claws through the forest litter is not particularly quiet either. Danger lurks in the shadows and you cannot be sure that this unseen drama will not bring with it harm.

Through the trees and their long shadows to the west, a slender pink figure bursts into view and then promptly freezes in place; pupils ringed with the golden hues of sunset pin as it stares, examining each of you, perhaps sizing you up. It is a strange looking creature, elegant and confident in its poise. A beak clacks quietly, tilting curiously with its face, and long decorative feathers frame the look; wings adorn its waist, rimmed with black flights and the tail set steadily at its rear is blunt and unexpectedly short.

This is a Fimalgo—not the most intelligent of the Rift's surreal wildlife.

It creaks softly, enquiringly, bending a stick-thin foreleg and tucking the small claws upon its paw into a loose fist. Perhaps it wasn’t expecting to see you… Then, as suddenly and swiftly as it arrived into the slight clearing, the bird-looking beast (with eyes still fixed upon you) tears forward and slams headfirst into the thick, steady trunk next in line; it seems unhurt, thankfully, staggering backwards for a moment and tossing its ornate head.

Again it moves, this time with better focus, sweeping at stunning speed through the centre of your meeting and on out the other side—vanishing into the trees, towards the cliff.

Well, that was different?
the Rift
a dream deferred
Amarantha

Amaratha could feel, in the tensing of her muscles and the sound of her thoughts, pleased Eira was to see the new stallion. The young filly stayed by Amarantha though - a small gesture of kindness that touched the  older mare more than she cared to admit.

The strange stallion spoke. He offered her a home, a family, a people to whom to belong. Amarantha, who believed such things could never belong to her, who, only a couple of hours ago, was expecting not to live out the night, it seemed almost too much to hope for.

"I accept with gratitude," she said briefly, not trusting her voice to say much more.

The stallion gave his name, Rixen, and Amarantha was surprised to learn that he was the co-leader of this group.

Rixen suggested that they should get back to shelter before it got too dark, and Amarantha was only too glad to follow. Before they could get started, however, there's a frantic rustling in the foliage as a strange creature bursts into the clearing. Brightly colored and delicately boned, the creature was beautiful. But the sharp, curving claws and beak spoke of predatory habits.

It was taller than she was, and Amarantha wasn't sure what abilities it had but, as it sized them up with its gaze, Amarantha tried to move herself so that she stood between it and Eira.

"Get behind me," she said, trying to keep her voice calm despite the fear. Once again she lowered her horn, ready to strike if needed. The exotic looking creature eyed them for a few moments longer, making soft sounds to itself, the suddenly slammed headfirst into a tree. Amarantha reared backed away as, almost immediately after, it charged right past them, missing them by inches, and crashing into the forest.

Heart still pounding from the adrenaline of the near-encounter, Amarantha turned to the others.

"What was that?"

She looked alertly around the clearing as she spoke, in case the dense undergrowth disgorged new monsters. Who knew of the thing was travelling alone? Or, more chillingly, what if it was running because it was being chased by something worse?

"Talk"

Amarantha

@Rixen @Eira