This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
And the rest is rust and stardust
RP Wanted The Portal 
Arithena
Currently championing:

A R I T H E N A
FOR WHEN THE SUN LEAVES, THE WORLD FEARS YOU

She didn’t know how she got here, much less what this place was. All she did know was that is was dark, gloomy, and unfamiliar. Far too much of the latter for her taste. Now, she had travelled to many peculiar lands, despite her young age. She had seen places that would be unfathomable even to the most experienced of vagabonds, who, like herself, had witnessed the trials and tribulations of all walks of life in their travels. As she walked, the mare’s gaze, which was a rather unusual violet shade, scanned the path ahead - or at least as much of it as was visible in the dimly lit forest. Her surroundings were rather eerie, painted in so many shades of blacks and blues, with a thin layer of mist swirling around her ankles. Where the cool dampness touched it, her delicate skin tingled, but she tried her best not to let any of this dampen her mood. Fortunately, seldom did.

Though the world around her was not one that she recognized, Arithena was unbothered. She called no one place her home, and for that reason, she did not have to worry about being far away from home or anything of the sort. No, the world lay at the tips of her hooves, and all that her young and naive mind took away from this was that she wanted to see as much of it as possible. She had been wandering for a long time, at least as far back as her memory went. The girl had never lived in a herd. She didn’t think of her upbringing much, and her dam, who had raised her alone, had faded to nothing but a distant image in Ari’s mind. She had died long ago, when the girl could hardly fend for herself. Yet she, a small filly, had survived, and that was how she knew that she was a survivor. Arithena could battle her way through anything, not physically, of course. She struggled, stumbled through life in other ways. She always got by. This notion left her feeling rather optimistic, even as she wandered further into the trees. Little did she know, she was walking away from everything that she had ever known, although that would not amount to much. In the big picture of things, Ari was truly a blank slate. But the writing, the story, was just beginning.

At present, Arithena came to a halt. Noticing that a small branch had become entangled in her mine, the girl paused to pick it out with her teeth. When she was satisfied with its removal, she raised her dished face again, an expression of wonderment and curiosity plastered over her features. Her ears flicked back and forth, listening. She continued to pivot her head back and forth slowly, taking in all that lay before her. She saw it; she breathed it in. It wasn’t much, but then, the Rift was quite a sight to behold. I wonder if anyone lives around here, although I'm not sure I know who would want to, she thought to herself with a slight frown, hoping that she would see the sun again soon. Its warm yellow light was barely visible beneath the thick canopy of leaves. One question lingered at the back of her mind, gnawing at it, hungry for an answer: where was she?

OOC: ploops new girl into the Rift<3

Magic:
Ari can create crystalline spikes that protrude from the ground. This ability is heavily tied to her emotions and can be difficult to control at times. The type of crystals that form depend upon the mineral composition in the ground.

Item(s):
A lotus flower whose petals, when crushed up and placed over a wound, speed up the healing process.
Rift Presence
Currently championing:
The ground shifts beneath your feet, moving as though it were a wave. It’s a strange sensation and begins to make you dizzy as everything begins rolling faster and faster and faster. Then suddenly it stops, and there’s a gentle breeze that caresses you, picking up your mane as if breathing in your scent to remember you –

And then it is gone.
the Rift

| ACCEPTANCE NOTES : Arithena |

Magic:
Offensive: Can create crystalline spikes that protrude from the ground depending on her emotions, however doing so causes a few small spikes to grow on her body. The spikes can be knocked off once the magic wears off.
The Rift slightly changes her magic.

Items:
Vanity: A lotus flower whose petals, when crushed up and placed over a wound, speed up the healing process, but requires staying in water for a period of time to regrow the petals.
The Rift also changes your item.

I thought the spike magic might make more sense as an offensive rather than crafting, but let Neo or Skylark know if you prefer it the other way!

As for the item, it only has to remain in water to regrow the petals. Once they're grown, she can carry it with her wherever and for however long :)

Welcome to the Rift! :)
» Presence of the Rift «

Aedion
Currently championing: Reszo
A E D I O N
you died screaming,
yet the monster who took your place was silent —
Aedion wasn’t sure what kept him at the Portal. He hated this place the most out of everywhere in the Rift. He also had work to do, so much of it, that perhaps the overwhelming sense of having nothing accomplished thus far had something to do with it. It was this anger from within him that he struggled, day after day, to return to his equine form. Instead, a perpetual loop of wolf in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Perhaps for a brief moment before he slept he’d return to his wings, clutching the feathers close to him whenever he could, before it was swept away with fur the following morning. The Portal had also not left a son of the Rift alone during his transfer, instead it swapped his coloring in his wolf form. During the day, the stripes in his equine form would remain a brilliant crimson red, in his canine form, his stripes were the greyish brown hue of his pelt and the rest of him were rivers of crimson.

He huffed a sigh through his nose, clenching down his sharp teeth as he scouted the Portal with those mismatched eyes, one pale and silver, the other scarred and white – luckily for him he could see clearly. It was with those mismatched eyes that he spotted the pale damsel through the trees. He surveyed her for a moment, wondering if perhaps she was indeed Helovian – but haven’t they been here for a while? The Rift pulled people from other lands too. He figured he’d get a better result of finding out through being courteous rather than fighting and finding out he was wrong later. Aedion was a blood thirsty beast, but he wanted justice. He didn’t want more blood tainting his soul than necessary. When he decided that she probably wasn’t Helovian, he managed to calm himself enough – shifting into the equine form he loved so much. Tucking his crimson barred wings in tight, he hauled his large body toward her, breaking through an opening in the trees.

His masked head dipped in greeting to her, noticing the fact she had wings that Aedion silently envied. Perhaps she wasn’t cursed as he was and could fly at any time, unafraid of barreling through the sky to an untimely death because his anger got the best of him. “Welcome to the Rift.” His gruff, baritone voice called out to her. “I’m Aedion. Who are you?” His head tilted as he realized he hadn’t talked with anyone in quite some time and perhaps being as blunt as he had been was probably worrisome. It was too late, however, he couldn’t take it back. And so he waited, patiently, for her to either respond or run.

"Talk."

— you are a weapon; and weapons don't weep.

x

@Arithena sorry it took so long ;-;

YOU DIED SCREAMING, YET,
THE MONSTER WHO TOOK YOUR PLACE WAS SILENT.
YOU ARE A WEAPON, AND WEAPONS DON'T WEEP.
Arithena
Currently championing:

A R I T H E N A

On a mission to answer the question of where she was, the girl trudged forward into the mist. She could hardly see anything ahead of her, but that was scarcely a deterrent. She wasn’t even the particularly brave sort, and yet for some reason, she did not feel afraid. The thought of being afraid hadn’t crossed her mind. Perhaps it should have, given the world that she was now surrounded by. At first glance, there did not seem to be anything good about it. Nothing that wouldn’t scare a young, delicate-looking mare who was wandering by herself. But Ari was not how she appeared - not completely. Instead of shying away from this unknown land, all she could think about was where she was, and all she could be was determined to know more about it, whatever it was called. It had to have a name. Everywhere had a name. All she had to do was find a kind stranger willing to tell her. Ari always bumped into those types in her travels. Sure, they were few and far between, but they were always there. In the end, that’s what mattered. Even if it took some searching before she found one.

It was at that moment that she stepped through an unusually large spider web, which she hadn’t noticed before it was already upon her, tangled in her cream-colored mane. It was hardly visible there, except for the dewdrops that clung to each silvery strand, glistening beneath the forest’s eerie light. “Ugh,” Arithena muttered softly beneath her breath, stopping momentarily to peel the web away with her teeth. When she was satisfied that she had cleared away all that she could see from her silken locks, Ari began on her way again, through the darkness. She marched along as if she had a path to follow, although there really wasn't one. And even if there was, it would have been awfully difficult to see, given the poor lighting of her surroundings. In fact, the girl found it rather irritating that she could not get a better look at what she imagined was scenery worth seeing when it wasn’t shrouded in shadow. Stupid darkness.

She was being watched. She wasn’t aware of it yet, as she picked her way carefully through the tangles of trees. She didn’t notice him until he stepped out into the path before her. Ari jumped back, visibly startled by his sudden appearance. In addition, his appearance was, quite literally, unlike anything she’d ever encountered before. Not in all her travels. As such, when she realized the stranger did not mean any harm (for if he had, there was no reason she would still be alive to think about it), she did not hesitate to study him and take mental notes for later. As she did, her brow furrowed slightly. He was tall. Far taller than she was, and possibly the tallest creature she’d ever seen. He was darkly colored. Glowing teal stripes ran down his neck, from his poll to his withers, where his feathered wings began. His face was permanently hidden away by a white, skull-like mask. It made him look like some sort of ghost.

Not wanting to stare at this Aedion character so long that it became awkward, Ari ever so slowly made her contribution to the conversation. “So that is what this place is called. I’d been wondering. Thank you for enlightening me, Aedion.” She offered him a gracious dip of her head, tasting his name on her tongue. When her violet gaze raised again to look at the stallion, she added, “My name’s Arithena. I seem to have lost my way and wound up here. Are you from these parts?”

<3

@Aedion It's all good!!
Aedion
A E D I O N
you died screaming,
Pleasantly surprised, Aedion watched as the mare didn’t run from him. Instead, his presence had startled her enough to jump back, but she didn’t run. A smile crossed his features at the way she seemed to grow confused, eyeing him over as he stood still as a statue, two pale eyes staring straight at her – for Aedion had no qualms about staring at pretty women. Quietly, before she spoke and ran her eyes over him, he shuffled his wings slightly, enjoying their heaviness along his spine while it lasted.

But then she spoke, and her voice was a gentle chime of bells accompanied by a dip of her head. A deep chuckle escaped his lips, the baritone rumbling through the clearing around them as he nodded. “Indeed it is.” He offered with a roguish smile. Then, she gave him her name and asked if he was from around here and he in turn offered his own dip of his head – his scruffy fur along his face as a beard shifted with the movement as he nodded after. “That I am. Born and raised. This is the Portal, where everyone comes in. You’ll be lucky to leave again, I’m afraid. Been here for eight years and haven’t found my way out yet.” He offered with another small chuckle before turning slightly, allowing her to continue walking should she wish – he would just accompany her in the meantime. “It’s not so bad though, once you figure out the way. Is there somewhere you’re heading I can bring you to?” He questioned with a tilt of his head, his hoof hanging in mid air with the question.

Of course, Aedion didn’t take into account the fact that this was her first day in the Rift and that she probably had no idea where she was going. As if it suddenly occurred to him, his eyes grew wide slightly and another deep rumble escaped his dark lips. “Oh, right, you’re not from here. Well, is there any kind of place you’d like to go? My favorite is the North, but it’s chilly at this point of the year. There’s also forests, deserts, beaches, et cetera.” He added in, glancing to her for any idea of where she might want to go.

"Talk."

x

@Arithena <3

YOU DIED SCREAMING, YET,
Arithena
Currently championing:

A R I T H E N A

Aedion gave her an odd smile, one which she couldn’t seem to comprehend - and it wasn’t its appearance that made his pleased expression strange. See, smiling was something that affable horses did, or if one wanted to give the appearance that they were in fact good natured and easy to talk to. Not that she didn’t think Aedion was friendly - perhaps he was, but he didn’t strike her as the overly friendly sort. Mostly, Ari was wondering what it was exactly that he had found to smile about. She hadn’t said anything particularly funny that she could recall. And last time she’d checked, it wasn’t difficult to remember things like the words that had come from her own mouth. Strange. Yet she went along with it anyway, offering him a grin of her own, paired with the fluttering of her long white lashes. It was small, the kind where the lips are upturned ever so slightly, just enough to see her teeth. It certainly wasn’t the look you’d offer to a longtime friend. Aedion wasn’t that, so Arithena didn’t worry too much about how she came across to him.

What she was concerned with was finding out more about this Rift place. She’d need to, if she was going to be spending the remainder of her days here. Fortunately, Aedion seemed to be the perfect creature to have encountered, considering he claimed to have lived in the Rift all his life. “In that case,” Ari began, glancing aside unintentionally, though it might have given him the impression that she was carefully choosing her words, “I couldn’t imagine there would be anyone better to have bumped into. Certainly you have learned much about the Rift in all of your eight years here.” The words rolled off her tongue slowly and her eyes shifted back to land on the massive pegasus. Arithena was perfectly aware that she had almost nothing to lose being stuck here. She had everything to gain. As such, she wasn’t terribly bothered by the idea. She had this whole world to see. “I suppose I don’t mind the idea of living here. It seems like a...” She paused, trying to find the right word, “...charming place.” Right. Not that she could have seen anything that would have supported that observation, considering they were surrounded by nearly complete darkness. She hardly knew what the Rift looked like, or what lived in it, and Aedion was bound to recognize her feeble attempt to flatter him.

“Leaving wasn’t exactly on my mind.” Ari went on, “I’ve been a wanderer my whole life. So I suppose the answer to your question would be no. There’s nowhere in particular I’m headed.” She belonged to no one and no place in particular. She was free, belonging only to herself. Her hooves carried her across many lands, never remaining in one place for too long. Until now. And she might as well get used to the idea. When he asked her what sort of place she wanted to go, Arithena didn’t know where to begin, much less what she wanted to see. What did the Rift have to offer? “Somewhere a little warmer and brighter would be nice, if any of those sort of places exist here.” The pale-colored mare suggested at last, with a delicate laugh, like the existence of somewhere like that within this realm was a silly notion.

<3

@Aedion
Aedion
A E D I O N
you died screaming,
Luckily for Arithena, the wolf wasn’t looking while she glanced around and began speaking. A smile tugged at the corner of his rugged lips at her words. Yes, she was correct, there was no one better to have run into. He understood this place, knew how it worked, knew the creatures that dwelled within the lands. He could protect those he wished, or simply leave them somewhere where they’d have no choice in safety and he’d let nature run its course. It was powerful, to have that, but also a bit of a burden. Nevertheless, he finally looked to Arithena as she looked upon him. He stood, nearly still as a statue under her gaze, pride and hopefully power slipping from his large body. Then, she spoke again, calling it charming and Aedion couldn’t help the booming laugh that slipped through his dark lips.

That’s one way to put it, girl.” He admitted with another chuckle. But then she continued, saying that leaving wasn’t on her mind and Aedion’s fuzzy ears swiveled to her curiously. “Ah, well in that case, welcome home.” He added, turning his broad head back to the pathway as she pondered his options of separate places to go. “Well, if we keep continuing north, we’ll run into the more desert like places. There’s a broken castle area, tar pits, a glowing teal mountain. Quite charming places if you ask me.” He muttered, his voice rolling the word charming off as he struck a grin and glanced her way.

He’d help take her anywhere she wished to go, she needed only to tell him. He wouldn’t even stick around if she didn’t want him to. He could just drop her off somewhere and continue on his search, but he found for once it was nice to talk to someone not from here and not from Helovia, and someone that didn’t continue to cry about how they wanted to go home. “I’d suggest the Pinnacle, if you’re looking for a dry and somewhat warm place. I can take you there, though I don’t have to stay. Just tell me when you get tired of me and I can find somewhere else to go.” He said, shifting his weight as he meandered through the trees.

"Talk."

x

@Arithena <3

YOU DIED SCREAMING, YET,
Arithena
Currently championing:

A R I T H E N A

She was wondering what his response would be, awaiting it with a curious expression. Her eyes were round and doe-like as she watched the stallion, glimmering like amethysts as in the gloom. Perhaps she ought to have been afraid of him. He was a total stranger after all. And this was a strange place, maybe a place where good horses did not exist. It certainly seemed that way, if you judged the Rift solely on appearances. But Aedion, gruff as he was, seemed kind enough, and Arithena was not too concerned that he posed a threat to her. After all, he’d offered to take her wherever she wanted to go, and they’d only just met. There weren’t many horses the girl had met before that would be so quick to offer something like that without wanting something in return. And yet he did not ask. If he had, she wasn’t sure what she would’ve given him. Certainly not her lotus flower, her most prized possession that Gran, her foalhood caretaker, had given Ari as a gift long ago.

Apparently Aedion found her description of the Rift to be quite amusing, for it caused him to tip back his head, a resonant laugh emitting from deep within his chest. She frowned slightly, ears flattening to her skull, despite knowing that what she’d said probably sounded pretty stupid. She was less angry at him for laughing, and more annoyed at herself for not thinking the words through before letting them reach his ears. Following his brief moment of mirth, he seemed to calm himself and regain his composure, as if he’d just remembered that there were matters to attend to. He welcomed her once more, although it felt strange to think of the Rift as her home. For one, she’d never really settled down anywhere before, and second, she’d only been here for what felt like a few moments. A bit too soon to be labelling the Rift as such. A soft “Thank you,” was all she could manage, trying her best to give a polite response. Her gaze followed Aedion’s, drifting toward the path, whose shape was faintly outlined by two rows of luminescent plants. She wondered where it led. The stallion began to speak again, bringing her attention back to the present. She figured it was important to listen to what he had to say about the Rift, and so she did. Any information would be useful, and Aedion was likely chock-full of it.

Clearly Aedion hadn’t forgotten her little slip up. He was all too quick to allude to her labelling of the Rift as ‘charming,’ shooting a playful grin in her direction. He wove it in to his words in a subtle fashion, as if she wasn’t supposed to know it was there. Had she not felt awfully silly about describing the Rift as such, she might not have ever noticed that he’d added in the last statement purposefully. Was he mocking her? She averted his gaze, her response was not to join in his jest but rather to let out an unamused “Hmph.” Charming. Remind her never to use that word.

She didn’t know how well she liked this fellow just yet, much less how long she would want him to stick around for. Ari certainly didn’t like being made fun of, however, she made no retort and simply waited for him to continue. Waited for him to hopefully forget all about whatever it was that he found so funny. The mare supposed that horses around here did not have pleasant descriptors in their vocabulary. She could tell by the looks of this forest that they mustn’t have had the need for them. But maybe the Rift contained regions that would prove her wrong. “That sounds close enough to the place I had in mind.” She responded politely, despite being not entirely sure that it was. There didn’t seem to be any harm in seeing what the Pinnacle was, even if it wasn’t suited to her tastes. Honestly, she couldn’t wait to be out of the cold, unwelcoming darkness. Her spirits needed to recover. “I’m ready to go whenever you are, if you’d be so kind as to lead the way.”

<3

@Aedion
Aedion
A E D I O N
you died screaming,
There was darkness in this place, and a darkness within him that continued to try and rage for control. Aedion felt as though he had been doing a fairly decent job as of late keeping his anger in check, though it was over the line of where he could remain in his normal form. He needed a distraction, a reason to not pay attention to the wolf for fear of it returning. At least with Arithena, he had conversation and a task at hand that didn’t completely blind rage him.

Yet, he hadn’t realized he struck so much of a chord with Arithena over her ‘charming’ comment. It didn’t bother Aedion in the slightest, he just knew she might find the term lackluster once she roamed the world. It was dangerous, cunning, ruthless, and dark. Pretty mares didn’t do well in places like this, at least with how the stories went. They always needed some sort of charming stallion to come and rescue them, to make sure that the darkness didn’t reach them. A hero.

Aedion wasn’t any of those things, he mostly preferred to watch it play out. It was a dog eat dog world, if you asked him. So he pushed away her concern over what he had chuckled about, and simply got a “Hmph.” from her at first. His ears wavered uncertainly, though he was certain if she chose to go a separate way he wouldn’t stop her. The least he could do was direct her to a place that was somewhat safe and warm, but what happened after Aedion didn’t care about. Yet, the woman beside him agreed that the Pinnacle sounded like a decent place, and so he nodded with a quick bob of his bearded head. “One glowing strange mountain in the desert, coming up.” He offered with a roguish grin. “Try not to get lost.” He joked with a wink from his scarred eye before taking off in a brisk trot and heading North toward the Pinnacle.

"Talk."

x

@Arithena <3 we can thread them again in the Pinnacle if you wanted him to lead her there, or we can just say they went separate ways! :3 doesnt matter to me <3

YOU DIED SCREAMING, YET,
Arithena
Currently championing:

A R I T H E N A

There was only one reason for her to follow him: Aedion knew this place. Otherwise, Arithena probably would have taken her leave. She could have explored the Rift, as this place was so aptly named, on her own. Sure, it might have taken a long while to come anywhere close to the stallion in terms of knowledge, but Ari believed in her abilities. She knew how to manage on her own. She didn’t need Aedion to hold her hand. She didn’t particularly favor his personality, either. Not what she’d seen of it thus far. Yet she felt her hoofsteps carrying her in his direction. It seemed that her brain knew what was the better choice. If he was willing to help her, she’d better take it.

And so, with a soft snort, the girl bounded after him without another word, launching into a floaty gait that consisted of strides much too big for her size. Before she fully disappeared from the clearing, she cast one final glance back, as if she were taking a final snapshot of what this place looked like to save for later. She thought it might come in handy, to remember the Portal, should she ever find herself back here again. The the shadows swallowed her whole, and the only familiar place in the Rift was out of view. She turned forward again, focusing on the ground in front of her and trying not to lose sight of Aedion’s figure a short distance ahead. She was very much looking forward to feeling the warmth of the sunlight on her shoulders again. And of course, being able to see where she was going would certainly be useful, no matter where the path ahead might lead.

<3

@Aedion A thread in the Pinnacle sounds good to me! :))