This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hello There, Guest!

| Register
Home » Search » Roster » Whitepages » Records » FAQ » Guidebook
Cold
Open Solanis 
Roscorro the Dragon Heart
Currently championing: Caevoc
ROSCORRO
Towering ferns stretched towards the sky, kissed with the touch of frost. The world was quiet and still. The moment of silence as night turns to day as the world holds its breath. It was mysterious. It was beautiful. It was cold. So very cold. The heat from decaying leaves rose from the ground, filling the world with a fine mist that sucked the warmth from your skin. Amidst the haze a towering tree stood among the ferns. It dropping bows offering a heaven for those seeking shelter. One such creature had sought its protection as the day and fallen to night. Curled tightly against the massive trunk, wings wrapped tightly around his form, slept a monster. Dug down into a bed of earth and rotting leaves in search of warmth, Roscorro had drifted off into a fitful sleep. Alone in a strange land, deprived of his magic and haunted by relentlessly watching eyes, he had slept little. Moving through the land until the cold and exhaustion had forced him to stop. Morning found him within the forest of Solanis. Though he did not know its name, nor did he have anyone to teach it to him.

Not being born within Helovia, the tribrid was at a disadvantage in terms of knowledge and lore. He held no attachments to lands devoured by the rift. Nor did he have anyone he could possibly fall back on in his time of need. But his fighting spirit kept him going in face of such unfamiliarity and dangers. His body fought off the cold his magic had kept at bay. In time his thick coat would grow more course to combat the chill. But until then he had nothing but his wings and wits to keep him alive. That and a bit of luck. As luck would have it he had happened upon this massive tree and the rich layer of dead leaves that littered the ground. It was not much, but it had provided enough of a barrier against the cold. And with those menacing eyes watching him, the beast let his weariness consume him. In the welcoming blackness of sleep he was beyond the reach of those eyes. Numbed by the cold he did not care about what they might do while he was not watching them. Even as leaves from the dragonfly willow drifted down to rest upon his body, the stallion slept, as if held by the spell of the forest. For the briefest of moments, Roscorro knew peace.

"Talk."

But You Cannot Break My Hope!
I'm Still Undefeated!
image || coding

OOC:
Open to anyone that wants to come interrupt my boy's sleep!
You have my permission to use magic/force against Roscorro.
Maiming and killing is not allowed, though. 
Gwyn
Currently championing:

GWYN
uh-oh, running out of breath, but I
oh, I, I got stamina

She arrived in the colorful forest by mid-afternoon, and decided, almost immediately, that this would be where she would wait for her parents. Not sure exactly if they would find her or not, the girl had also spent a great number of days crossing the wild realms of the Rift alone. Travelling did not seem to expedite her finding her dam or sire, and so she had begun to wonder if she shouldn’t just wait somewhere.

Initially, Gwyn had thought to go back to the rainforest, where the herd of the north had weathered the first weeks in the Rift together, before they’d parted ways. The problem with that, however, was that she hadn’t a clue where the rainforest was. So, after many unsuccessful days of cold and terrifying travel, the filly decides that enough was enough; she was not likely to find the rainforest, and this place seemed friendly enough, especially in comparison to the endless mist to the north.

Nightfall brought new concerns, however, after half a day of cheerful wandering among the ice-coated ferns and bright, yellow flowers. The rustle and croon of the unseen beasties in the dark again rose to her attention, and the longer that the shadows grew, the more and more her good feelings from the day slipped away, replaced by what she was beginning to accept to be constant anxiety. Her weeks alone, however, had taught her new resourcefulness; within a few moments, she has procured a moderately sized, dry-ish stick (considering the ice layering everything), which she clamps tightly between her teeth. Focusing all her will on her snowy rump, she angles the tip of her stick towards her hindquarters, and waits for her magic to ignite the stick with its electrical sparks.

Somewhat damp from the frosty encasement it had resided in moments before, the stick’s tip takes a while to catch, but does eventually burn with a red hot coal, and small, tapered tip of flame. Now equipped with both light and warmth, the girl trots through the wood, trying her best to remain stoic in the face of the shadows, and frightful rustling therein; it is little over half an hour and well into the darkness of night when she believes she sees a large enough cranny at the roots of a tree some short distance away. She becomes so entrenched in making it to this nook, that she almost doesn’t notice the man half buried in the leaves until she has nearly stumbled over him. She most certainly does drop her stick, which flutters weakly against the frozen ground.

Dammit!” curses the small child, the word incredibly vulgar coming from such a childish face; clamoring to pick her light back up, she shoots the half buried man a glance that might have coated him in ice, too. Though she was annoyed with him for almost having snuffed out her fire, the girl is also inwardly grateful to have company, even if it is a hulking, strange fellow in a stranger forest. Still, her mood was not the most pleasant, and as she was not the most pleasant on a good day, the filly shows very little gratitude to fate (or the stranger) as she stamps across the frosty earth. Her words are muffled around her grasp on her fire as she haughtily makes her way to the other side of the clearing, audibly grumbling. “Weirdo, layin’ in the middle of a path…

[ OOC: Lirl Gwyn is having a rough day as you can see <3 she'll get nicer I'm sure. ]
Image by Jody Roberts@Flickr

@Roscorro
I'm just wild
so sit the f#@k down

please tag gwyn for opening posts & mentions in group threads only
ROSCORRO

He did not hear what the filly had said, only the sound of a voice registered in the dark subconscious of sleep. His eyes shot open, as wild and grey as storm clouds. His body tensed but otherwise he did not move, ready to react should hostilities be thrown at him. But the only hostile attack that came were the words of the child. As she walked away he rose to his full height, easily towering over the girl. With a might shake, the items in his mane and tail tinkling, he rid himself of the leaves that clung to his hulking frame. He did not make a comment about how she had been walking quite close to the tree he had been sleeping by. Only saying. "Says the filly who is wandering alone at night." The cold swept over him, causing his skin to twitch. His eyes fell  upon the branch the girl was using as a light. "There is plenty of room in this nook, if you are looking for shelter." He stepped aside, gesturing as the massive roots that he had used to shelter himself from the worst of the cold. "I can also help you find more wood to build a fire. It would be warmer and last longer than your stick.." His claws were quite good at digging pits to build flames within. It would surely keep them warm and possibly keep the predators at bay.

"It is not safe for anyone to be traveling out here in the darkness." There would still be a good hour or so before what little sun existed in this frigid season, peaked through the foliage. It was the time when the world was at it coldest. A small fire like that would do little to combat it. Plus, the stick would only last so long, as he had pointed out. Though he looked like a heartless beast on the outside, Roscorro was far from emotionless. He'd not let the young filly wander these lands on her own. His long tail swished back and forth as he watched her curiously, leaving wisps of smoke in its wake. Around them the darkness fell silent, as if the world were watching them. Within it he could feel those wretched eyes watching him. Would he never be free of them? Instead of focusing on them his attention remained on the girl before him. His kind eyes read every movement she made, ready to react should she try to flee. Though she might not thank him for it, he was not going to leave her unattended in the dark. "Where are you parents?" He asked the one question that was nagging at him. Surely someone had to care about this pretty lass? Or had she been abandoned like him?

Talk."

I'm Still Undefeated!
image || coding

OOC:
Open to anyone that wants to come interrupt my boy's sleep!
Gwyn
Currently championing:

GWYN
oh, I, I got stamina

The sound of the man rising from his bed is loud enough that Gwyn stops, her head tilting back with moderate interest, at first, but then followed in full by the rest of her body, skittering swiftly on her hooves. Her eyes are wide with wonder and fright as she beholds not only the fact that the man she has disturbed is a behemoth, but that he is part dragon. The fire flickers across her dark features as she considers this new reality.

Gwyn is a child of the north. Her father and grandmother were both attacked by dragons, and her grandsires had confronted them on fields of battle, and lost their ancestral home to them. The stories about dragons that the filly had heard painted both dragons and dragon-kin in a light that promptly set the girl’s knees to shivering with fear, rather than the cold, and despite the man’s initial friendliness, the girl recalls each and every one of those stories in clear detail.

You’re a dragon!” she frightfully stammers, before he can accuse her, too, of being weird, and while the baubles tangled through his hair still clamor to their musical stop. When he does, her ears that had been lifted for full focus on the danger before her, slip back to partial mast, at first in confusion, then in frustration at having the tables so turned on her. It didn’t change the fact that he was a dragon, either.

Fortunately, she is a child of the north. Brave, bold, and clever, the maiden’s dark ears flick back as she considers the alternate truth that he hadn’t attacked her yet. Perhaps, like many of her father’s stories, the tales of dragons were painted by his bruised ego, rather than the truth. If the stranger was at all like her dad's stories, he surely would have got her already, besides, considering the way she’d muttered about him as she’d passed, and she was lonely. It had been many days since she had met Taivas at the ghost tree, and it was that many days more than the filly had ever been alone in all her life.

Yeah, well, it’s not like I want to be,” she remarks, her fiery stick bobbing with her syllables. Her frown is obvious, an as the prickling of tears in the corner of her eyes starts to build, she turns back around towards the nook she’d spotted, not wanting the stranger to see her cry.

Whether he does or not, she doesn’t know, but his offering to share the space he’d found draws her attention back around, and is a distraction enough to dry up her forming tears. She wasn’t sure about snuggling up with some strange man, or what her dad would think about it, but the reason for the offer becomes perfectly clear when the dragon-fellow mentions her fire. Smiling around her stick, the smug sort of smile that a brat wears when they have something the babysitter desperately needs, the filly releases a small whinny of laughter. He was right, though, her stick was slowly whittling down, and the heat was beginning to be noticeable on her nose.

You don’t breathe fire?” she asks, “dragons are supposed to.

Despite her seeming noncompliance, the girl does move closer towards the large tree, beneath which the behemoth had curled himself. He’s not all together wrong; it is a large space. Gwyn, however, isn’t big on touching, let alone touching strangers. Still, he was right about the Rift; it wasn’t safe, and it was likely safer with him. That she had something he probably wanted pretty badly only sweetened the deal enough to make dealing with some punk kid worth it, and she had no real idea how to make a fire, besides. She sighs as she decides that there were worse ways to spend an evening than with a friendly dragon-man.

I’m not snugglin’ with you,” she decrees, with all the air of expecting it to be followed that a once-princess should, “but we can share the fire. Maybe then you won’t have to hide under leaves, and get stepped on.

Her glance is playful and followed by a brief giggle. After digging a small, earthen furrow for her stick to rest in, and hopefully not flicker out, she moves towards the surrounding tree line, ducking her head under shrubs and lifting up old trunks in search of wood that wasn’t coated in the terrible ice that seemed to besiege all things in the bitter winter of the Rift. Finding a few pieces, her ears swivel back to catch the question of the stranger, but she doesn’t answer for some time, even after she’s drug her findings back to her dying candle stick and has begun to break them up into smaller pieces with her hooves.

I don’t know,” she says at last, the sound almost a whisper.

I'm just wild
so sit the f#@k down

ROSCORRO

Her entire demeanor changed when she noticed him for the first time. Noticed how he looked. Her statement made him smile. Yeah, he was a dragon. Of sorts. Her entire body shook with fright and he found himself once again feel guilty for things he could not control. He could not change his looks, he could only do his best to ease their fears. He lowered his head as she spoke again, his eyes large and sympathetic. His ever bleeding heart went out to this young, spunky girl. He saw the change drift across her face when something clicked within her head. Her own statement made his chuckle. "I am only a third of a dragon." He explained. "And I am not sure if the dragon I am apart of did breath fire. Not all dragons do." At least, that was had he had been told.

He continued to remain where he was, kindly watching over her while she inspected the area he had gestured towards. Silence stretched between them as he let her consider the idea of allowing a stranger to help. It was not something she should rush into. And though he wanted to help her he would not force his kindness onto her. She appeared to have a good head on her shoulders. He could certainly see the gears turning in her mind.

He laughed at her next comment. "I would not expect you." He replied. He would remain a perfect gentleman, putting himself outside of the protection of the tree and its roots, shielding the child from the view of any evil eyes. As she left her stick he too began searching for kindling and branches to use as fuel for the fire. When he managed to find a suitable amount, he began digging a pit to contain the fire. They wanted to be warm, they didn't want to be dead. Using the earth as a retaining wall in place of rocks, he began arranging the kindling and sticks into the pit. He kept one eye on the young lass at all times. She soon returned with her own spoils. When she said that she did not know where her parents were he frowned. "You are lost." He stated.

He fell quiet as he took the still smoldering stick she had used as a light and held it to the kindling. "My name is Roscorro." He introduced himself. "How long have you been separated from your family? Do you know where they might be? Or where they will go?" He watched her with thoughtful eyes. He truly wanted to help this lost girl find her family once more. If she would let him.

Talk."

I'm Still Undefeated!
image || coding
Gwyn
Currently championing:

GWYN
oh, I, I got stamina

The dragon seems amused by her surprise; apparently, it was normal, wherever he was from, to have scaly forelegs and a thick, spike-laden tail, with leather wings to boot. Gwyn was sure glad she had not come from such a place; though she had barely been born to Helovia before it was gone, the girl remembered it as being simple and beautiful, without frightening people in it like this stranger. The most imposing person she’d ever met was Wessex, and even the large, warrior mare wasn’t that frightening, once the filly had been around her long enough.

That he was but one-third of a dragon did not make much difference to Gwyn’s degree of distrust and innate fear. Any sort of dragon was liable to be dangerous, from what she had heard, and though he hadn’t yet attacked and killed her, the spark-maiden was sure to be wary of the possibility, even once she begins to lower her defensive guard.

Yeah, yeah,” she mutters, adding with more clarity, “dad said they sometimes breath ice and lightning, too. Maybe not here, though...

His laugh is warm and big, and when her refusal to snuggle with the brute draws it into the air, she looks back from her foraging with a quick glance. Glad she doesn’t have to cuddle anyone she doesn’t know, and comforted by the kindness evident in the stranger’s chuckle, she goes back to her searching with a distinct, single word reply rising from her location:

Good.

It does not remain so, however; the inquiry into where her parents were quickly turns her somewhat blasé mood into one of deep sadness. Even the pops of the sticks coming apart beneath the pressure of her golden hooves is somehow somber, and when the large man remarks that she is lost, she doesn’t say anything, or react as if she’d heard at all. At least, that is, until Roscorro tells her his name, which unfortunately is followed by more painful questions which she does not know many of the answers to. Still, she watches the stick he’d used to light the fire slowly be eaten away by the larger one which grows from it, until it is a red hot, glowing ember that is all but indistinguishable from the others building at the glowing heart of the pit.

My name is Gwyn,” she says, watching the embers; their yellow-orange light casts dancing shades across her dark features, and her light blue gaze reflects the playful leaping of the blaze which fights the winter night’s chill, “my dad and I have been exploring awhile, since before the ice came. We never really had a home here.

She knows what a home is, despite having had it for barely a season of her life before it was stolen away from her. The want for one leaves an ache in even as young a heart as hers.

I lost him in the mist, though,” she sighs, her head falling low, lower than the wide, dark curves of her chest, “and I can’t find the scary forest, either, though I've looked for days. So I decided to wait here, wherever here is.

I'm just wild
so sit the f#@k down

ROSCORRO

She was quite an amusing little lass. She certainly was sassy as she talked back to him about what her daddy told her. When he was satisfied that the fire was going sufficiently on its own, the hulking equine lowered his frame to the ground with a sigh. Nestling down he wrapped his long, fury tail around himself like a cat. He patted the ground for her to find a comfortable place to lay. Not necessarily next to him, but near the heat of the flames. He listened quietly to her plight, his heart going out to her once again. His ears flicked back as he thought of what to do. "I would not mind helping you look for your father." He suggested. He could not stand the thought of her wandering this land alone. "This place is dangerous. Two pairs of eyes are better than one. Especially when one set can fly." He caught her gaze. "I could really use the extra help." He smiled.

He hoped that the idea that she would be helping him would make her come around to the idea of having a scary dragon hanging out with her. Hey, said scary dragon could come in handy. Plus he could make sure she didn't end up eaten by some beast. This poor family. He would do what he could to see them reunited. Resting his head on his paws, he wrapped his tail over his nose as he watched her. The warmth of the fire washed over him. He closed his eyes, soaking in the heat with great pleasure as the flames pushed back against the cold. The eyes also seemed to reduce their presence, kept at bay by the light. But they were not gone entirely. No, he had the distinct feeling that they would not go away unless he finally appeased them. But that was a problem for another day. For now he could focus on helping Gwyn his her problems.

Talk."

I'm Still Undefeated!
image || coding
Gwyn
Currently championing:

GWYN
oh, I, I got stamina

Gwyn didn’t spend as much time lying down as this Roscorro did, evidently. Perhaps, she thinks to herself, it was because she was a unicorn, and he was a dragon. Having never met a dragon before, she concludes it’s entirely logical that their species preferred to have the cold, hard earth pressing into their sides while they dozed, and flits an ear towards the sound of his settling. She simply ignores his gesture to join him; her mind is still too busy, and besides, she usually slept on her hooves, prepared to face the “anything” her father told her to be ready for, as her people had for time immortal.

His offer to help her find her lost father is one that is heard, initially, with excitement, albeit a small measure of doubt. Looking over at the resting dragon-man, the girl considers accepting immediately until the giant fellow adds, “I could really use the help.”

Her resulting snort is short and causes a large plume of breath to appear before her, and her eyes roll as she returns their focus to the fire.

I’m not a baby,” she declares into the fire, feeling her heart rate rise as she directly challenges the words of the much larger than her dragon-man, her long, lion’s tail swaying irritably behind her, “I already know about a lot of things, like doom and death and Kaos and his beasties, so don’t treat me like I’m still a milk-drinker.

I'm just wild
so sit the f#@k down

ROSCORRO

"Of course you're not." He agreed. "A baby would not have made it this far without her parents. You must be quite strong and quick witted to last this long in these feral lands. I have to admit that I am quite impressed." His tone was serious, backing his words with his firm belief. It took guts and grit to survive within these lands. For a young one to make it this far was truly impressive, or lucky. Either way she was here and alive, and he intended to keep it that way. But to hear her speak of knowing of doom and death saddened his heart. One so young should never have to experience such things. He folded his paws as he watched her. She still hadn't given him an answer on whether or not she would let him accompany him. She was a spunky, high spirited filly and he wasn't sure if she'd take his offer. Then again she was obviously quite sharp so she had to see the advantages of having him around.

He watched her with his deep eyes, his head cocking slightly. "So was that a no?" He asked. Wondering if she was inclined to be spiteful after his previous comment and refuse his help. The fire continued to crackle and burn, filling the air around them with its warmth. The darkness hung around them but if one were to look more closely, they would notice that its gloom was not as piercing. No, it was even a shade lighter as the minutes passed and night gave into morning.

Talk."

I'm Still Undefeated!
image || coding
Gwyn
Currently championing:

GWYN
oh, I, I got stamina

His attitude changes almost as quickly as her temper had risen, and Gwyn looks at him with light blue eyes that are cold, and flash dangerously as a little girl's might, her tail still twitching and swishing in anticipation of something more. He was weird, and not like her father at all, she determines while he praises her wit and strength, as if he hadn't just talked to her like she was a lost doll. Her right brow rises slightly, and another snort breasts the air, a white cloud dancing out from her black nostrils.

Thanks,” she flatly remarks after a long pause, shaking her muzzle in the way she'd seen adults do, when dismissing a thought; were all dragons this weird? No wonder the unicorns of the north hadn't been able to get along with them, if it was so. She hadn't been alive long, but Gwyn did know that most adults didn't seem to tolerate her "moods" (as her father had deemed them) anywhere near as complacently as Roscorro presently was.

His question makes her look up from the fire with widened eyes, finding that she had forgotten what the question pertained to in her frustration with Roscorro's unusual and clumsy acceptance of her poor temperament. Taking a second to remember, the girl's look of ponderance becomes a frown, one ear flipping back to catch the perfectly timed howl of some frightened beastie in the darkness beyond the ring of light that the fire casted. Though her initial response is no, she holds her tongue, and instead runs her eyes over the rather physically domineering fellow. This time, rather than seeing annoying, confusing Roscorro, she sees protection, or at least someone to hide behind, if necessary. Though the knight in question is certainly not Gwyn's preferred variety (though she hadn't a clue what her preferred variety was, either), she supposes that it was better to be bothered by some bumbling dragon man than eaten by a beastie.

I guess you can stay with me,” she says, looking at Roscorro as she sternly adds, “just until I find my dad, though.

@Roscorro
I'm just wild
so sit the f#@k down