the Rift
Mangrove Tidepools On My Way - Printable Version

+- the Rift (http://riftrpg.net)
+-- Forum: Archives (http://riftrpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Year 1174 (http://riftrpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=63)
+---- Forum: Completed (http://riftrpg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=64)
+---- Thread: Mangrove Tidepools On My Way (/showthread.php?tid=759)

Pages: 1 2

On My Way - Rixen - 12-26-2017

R I X E N

I picked my down the cliffside, making my way to the sea. Though my legs were weary from my excursions, I pushed on. The smell of salt in the air stung my nostrils, but there was something about it that I had missed. I’d spent a great many days walking across the Rift, but not because I had somewhere to go. It was quite the opposite - I didn’t have anywhere to go. So I allowed my hooves to carry me aimlessly throughout the land, trying to learn whatever I could about it. There was never a day that I did not come across something, or someone, new. Even from atop the greatest mountain, the vast land seemed to stretch far and wide for miles without end. A thought that constantly occupied my mind was whether the Rift stretched on into eternity, or of I could wander about forever and never come to its edge. Indeed, the Rift did come to an end. Eventually miles and miles of lush plains gave way to ground that was rocky and flat. After some time, I could hear the distant crashing of the waves and the air grew salty. The sea was near. I made my way in that direction until I could see the blue stretching endlessly away on the horizon.

The gentle lapping of the water was soothing to my ears. With great care, I picked my way toward the mangrove-lined shore. A sea breeze playfully tossed my mane about, tugging on each strand of alabaster hair as if to beckon me out to sea. I clambered down the rocky slope. When the land finally leveled out, I paused to survey my surroundings. There was no beach before me, but instead a great many tidepools. Curious, I stepped across the rocks to get a better look at them. The pools were like tiny lakes. Many of them contained little glowing plants which I had never seen before. Interested, I craned my neck out, peering into a particularly large pool. Two emerald eyes stared back up at me. My reflection scattered as the tide came crashing in again, swirling around my ankles. 

It was a rather pleasant day, with a warm sun, and this put me in a good mood. Standing before the tidal pools, I allowed my mind to drift, thinking about where I might explore next and what I might find. There was so much to explore that it would be difficult to be unoccupied or feel weary from a lack of interest in my current activity, even if there was nobody else around. I wasn't sure which I preferred more: being alone, or being in the company of others. Loneliness could be dangerous. Your thoughts could destroy you, if you let them. That's what happened to my father. Seeing him self-destruct made me careful - careful that the same thing did not happen to me. Part of me missed herd life, because I had been without it for so long. But the other part of me enjoyed the time to myself. I listened to the crashing of the waves a little distance away. The sunlight warmed my tiger-striped back. It was kind of nice, and the first time I had truly enjoyed myself in a while. 

"Talk."

they heard me singing and they told me to stop
quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

image credits || coding credits

RE: On My Way - Kiada - 12-27-2017

the sun inside of her rages like wildfire
Happiness set in her bones, so deep that even the heat of Scorch couldn’t chase it away. There was a small ball of light that followed the young woman in every move she made, as well as the cheerful banter with her companion that she had gone so long without. Thanks to the Tree of Light she was able to actually hear the bearded vulture again, as well as learn the status of her mother – a sight she was all too happy to finally see again. It was with this happiness set in her heart that she managed to slip away again from her mother to continue her exploration, to share the hope around the world and pray to Kismaoa that it was enough to help try and solve the issue of the world dying around them.

Khairi, the white bearded vulture, scouted ahead while Kiada trudged along the world down below. Her icy eyes scanning to and fro for information on what this place might have been, having no idea exactly what was in store after the Tree of Light in the west as well as her experiences in Halyven on the East. She kept an open mind, knowing full well the dangers that lay ahead, hoping that the little ball of light that followed her would help keep them at bay. Yet, despite it, the woman still found it hard to manage beneath the heat of the season as sweat darkened her golden hide to a coppery bronze color, darkening her already inky head to where it looked as though someone had painted with the darkest charcoal coloring they could find.

She had been here before, this strange colorful place. Back when she had resurfaced from the river of death after she had helped Kisamoa survive his experiment and nearly died herself in the process. A small sigh passed through her lips as she fought that continuous drowning feeling in her lungs as her throat tried to contract against the pain. It became second nature now, not causing her to cough so much as it had before, and in turn, continued to keep her throat feeling rather raw and unpleasant. But she was almost done with fixing the issues, hoping that perhaps it might one day vanish completely, and she might be able to remember what it was like to breathe deeply into her lungs without fear again.

Someone’s over here.” Khairi announced through their bond, a welcome relief of a sound as she trudged toward this ‘someone’. It was a creature she’d never met before, adorned with antlers and a pale body. Intrigued, the girl stepped closer to them, nickering out as to not startle them were they unsuspecting of company. “Hello!” She called out cheerfully, offering a smile in the stranger’s direction, dipping her inky head as her ice blue eyes scanned over him as she approached, though remaining a polite distance away should he not want company.

"Talk."
and she is —
gold, gold, gold.
Kiada
image | coding

@Rixen hope you don't mind me popping in :D

RE: On My Way - Rixen - 12-28-2017

R I X E N

How curious the tidepools were. Each one was like a whole world in itself. I resumed my exploration of them, lowering my antlered head to the water and sniffing it curiously. A tiny tree-like plant waved its branches directly below my whiskered muzzle. The fluorescent tendrils curled up toward me and I stretched my snout closer to touch them. Suddenly, the sticky arms shot forward from the water, tiny suction cups grabbing the tip of my nose. I leapt back in surprise, shaking my head until I was free of the strange plant. 

Amidst the crashing of the waves against the rocks, I heard a voice. I swung my antlered head around in the direction of the sound but saw nothing. Scanning the rocks more closely, I spotted a figure a short distance away. Whoever it was hadn’t come too close, but did not stand too far away either. Close enough that she had to shout a little so that the sound of her voice was not drowned out by the crashing of the sea. This made sense. I could be someone dangerous after all. But lucky for the unicorn standing a short distance away from me, I wasn’t. My emerald eyes scanned the figure. She appeared medium-built, a buckskin appaloosa with a dark face and many white markings that were recognizably different in nature from anything else I had seen before. Protruding from her forehead was a spiraled horn that curved back slightly toward her ears. Her icy blue eyes shone back at me. A large white bird circled in the sky above her. The Rift sure was full of surprises, and I welcomed them with intense and eager interest.

Her odd patterns and colors made me wonder if the mare was a Riftian native. "Hello." I called back to her, raising my voice a little so that it could be heard above the wind and the waves. "Are you from around here?" She might be able to teach me more about this place. I knew so little. Slowly, I was learning more, but anything or anyone who could help me to speed up the process would be greatly appreciated.   

"Talk."

RE: On My Way - Kiada - 12-29-2017

She watched as his head swung in her direction, settling those piercing emerald eyes upon her direction. She stood, lifting her head and listening to see if his voice would resonate across the distance as she approached after shouting her sudden appearance toward the stallion. Yet, Kiada paused while Khairi continued to search for lunch, waiting to see if this creature was indeed a friend or foe – perhaps both as Roscorro had once been. Her head remained held high, the little orb of light beside her floated gently as it bumped into her hip.

His voice reached her, and she offered him a gentle – kind – smile, the voice sounding as though it didn’t belong to someone of malice, and so the spotted woman dared a few steps closer as to not shout toward him. “Are you from around here?” The question was something no one had asked her before, and even though she wasn’t here from the beginning of the Rift (she highly doubted anyone still lived that had survived the tumultuous chaos the Rift had to offer) she offered a small shake of her head. “No, I’m not. I was born in Helovia a year before Kisamoa dragged us all in here.” Her voice fell like rich honey from her lips as she offered him a sorrowful smile.

I have been here awhile, though. Nearly two years, come the next season change.” She offered to him, tilting her head slightly. “Are you from here?” Kiada asked, cocking her head further to the side as she looked upon him. They were nearly the same height, though her build was more like a tank as opposed to his lithe, athletic one. “I’m Kiada, by the way. And that –” her head inclined upward to the white vulture circling above, “–Is Khairi, my companion.” She offered to him in way of greeting.

"Talk."
and she is —
gold, gold, gold.
Kiada
image | coding

@Rixen <3

RE: On My Way - Rixen - 12-29-2017

R I X E N

She appeared to strain to hear my returned greeting. I watched as the spotted unicorn stepped toward me, eying me a little cautiously at first. Which was completely understandable, because for all she knew I could be a threat. But I wasn’t. I was just Rixen, a newcomer who had been plopped in this land presumably like everyone else, a weary wanderer in search of a new life. The first step to that, of course, was to find others who could teach me about the Rift, and who I might eventually be able to call friends. 

Helovia. This mare was also from Helovia. Why was I not surprised? She spoke of Kisamoa, too. I had never seen him, but from what I had experienced his name was known and frequently spoken of across the land. "No." I reply, "Neither am I." Thus far, I had yet to meet a native Riftian, although I had been convinced that this mare was one. Even though she was not a native Riftian, with all of her stripes and spots, I thought she certainly could pass as one. There was a kindness to her that I immediately found myself drawn to. 

My gaze shifted from the mare to her bird, and I watched the winged beast circle above, searching for prey. They appeared to share a connection unlike anything I had ever seen before or that I imagined possible. Where I came from, there was no such thing as a horse having an animal companion. We simply could not talk to them, for they were animals and did not speak our language. Immediately, I was curious about how the whole thing worked, but I refrained from asking about it just yet. I had so many other questions to ask, and it was already difficult enough to choose just one. 

"I am Rixen." I gave Kiada my name with a friendly bob of my head. "It is a pleasure to meet you, and Khairi." I did my best to acknowledge the bird swooping about in the air above us. Although it felt rather awkward talking to a bird, I did so out of politeness. A brief gust of wind blew a large chunk of my upper mane into my face, and I tried to toss it out of my eyes as gracefully as I possibly could. Still, pieces of hair were left tangled among the vines in my antlers. I left them there, not wanting to make too much of a fuss. I continued, "I was just looking at the plants in these tidepools. They’re almost like entirely different worlds… much smaller ones." I observed, shooting her a kind and pleasant smile. Fortunately, she was closer to me now, so I did not have to raise my voice quite so much. Gesturing to a fluorescent plant, I inquired, "Do you know what they are?"

"Talk."

@Kiada

RE: On My Way - Kiada - 12-30-2017

The small smile that had grown on her lips, faded somewhat when he confirmed that he was not from the Rift either. She had yet to officially meet a creature that had dwelled here before their return, and she wondered if it was possible that they took the escape route when they tumbled in. Provided there was one, that is. Nevertheless, Kiada nodded to her all the same, watching quietly as he lifted his head to survey Khairi as he continued his circles in the sky. But before her eyes could shoot upward toward the bird as well, he offered her his name with a bob of his head. “Rixen.” She thought, keeping the name to the face the best she could.

The pleasure is mine.” She offered him gently awhile Khairi’s hauntingly dark screech answered in his own retort, a thanks for being met as well as acknowledged before the bird tilted toward the tidepools with his claws outstretched. Kiada offered Rixen another smile as he seemed to try and shake his forelock from his face, tangling it up in his mane before giving up. Part of her wanted to see if he’d let her help him, to remove the stray strands, but there was a more instinctive part of her that decided she’d best leave him be – at least until she knew him better.

But then his head angled toward the small pools of water, explaining that he was looking at the plants in them and how it looked as though they were looking into different worlds. She caught the smile he shot her way, and began to open her mouth before he continued, asking if she knew what they were. Quietly, she stepped a bit closer to him, alongside him with a polite amount of distance between them, but still enough to be able to touch him should she step a couple feet to her side. Her inky head lowered toward the pool to observe the fluorescent plant before she lifted her head and shook it slowly. “Unfortunately, I don’t.” She offered him, her icy eyes remaining on the plant. “There’s still a great many things I have yet to learn about this place.” Her eyes then slid over to him, offering him a small apologetic smile.

I wonder if this land floods during the rainy months, and how it effects the life of the plants and animals that live here.” She pondered aloud, looking toward a different tidepool with different plants hidden beneath the glassy surface. “I surely wouldn’t want to be caught up here.” A breathy laugh left her lips. “I’ve only been here once before, after I stepped into the Scint River. I was too… Exhausted to really look at this place and see how it works.” She offered quietly, lifting her head back up and glancing over to him.

"Talk."
and she is —
gold, gold, gold.
Kiada
image | coding

@Rixen <3

RE: On My Way - Rixen - 12-30-2017

R I X E N

"I would imagine that they would not mind, considering they already live near so much water." I suggested, returning Kiada’s laughter upon listening to her remark. With my vine-covered antlers, I gestured in the direction of the vast ocean that stretched out before us, as far as the eye could see. As it was a sunny day, the sun’s rays reflected off of the waves, causing the water’s surface to shimmer and sparkle.

Never before had I realized how much I enjoyed the sea. As a foal, I had never spent much time near it. My herd had dwelled deep within the forest, and as you can imagine, there was no sea nearby. Travelling to the seaside was a day’s trip, and as such, the event was reserved for special occasions. In peaceful times, I was sure I might have gone once or twice, but I was very young then; too young to remember much more than splashing about in the water with my sister while my mother looked on. Of course, I remember enjoying the waves lapping at my ankles and the salty air, but as I was so young, that enjoyment could have been attributed to anything. At that age, I had not experienced the dangers the world held. Most anything I saw or did would have been new, exciting, and to the liking of a young colt such as myself. Now that I came to think of it, this Riftian sea was not too different from the one that I always remembered. 

Feeling a little nostalgic, I let my green gaze rest upon the expanse of water. My thoughts left the tidepools to reminisce about my childhood. How different my life was now, in a way that I never could have fathomed even in my wildest dreams. Coming to terms with my past was one of the biggest challenges I had faced in my life. It was one of the simplest and most difficult of all endeavors, one that seemed impossible until I was thrust into the Rift. It was then, as I lay on the damp, cold forest floor, that I knew I could not start my new life here without accepting where I had already been.

Without turning to look at the mare beside me, I spoke, "I’m sure that even if one was to be in their most attentive state, it would take a long while to understand how everything around here works. I hope to myself, one day, if it is even possible." The words flow from my lips as smoothly as brown velvet, "Healing the Rift is first and foremost, I suppose, although I have yet to find someone to share my orb with." My mind wandered to the underlying task at hand, and how I happened to notice that Kiada possessed an orb similar to mine. I wondered if she had any information to share on the matter.

"Talk."

RE: On My Way - Kiada - 12-30-2017

He returned her laughter, announcing a fact that Kiada hadn’t entirely thought through. Of course, if the creatures here lived among the water then they should be fine should it flood, provided it didn’t wash away the things the plants thrived on most in these little pools. Still, Kiada offered him another gentle laugh and a small shake of her head, looking outward toward the water as he did, too, shifting somewhat anxiously on her feet. The movement caused the never healing wound on her chest to begin oozing more of a teal liquid down her leg, but she paid it no mind. It made no use to her to clean it up if it was simply going to continue the oozing, and so she left it until it became unbearably annoying.

Her head shifted slightly toward him as he began to speak again, he didn’t look over to her, but Kiada paid no mind. He spoke of learning the Rift and hoping to understand it one day, and how we must heal the land before us in an effort to revive it. She bobbed her inky head toward him as Khairi crooned out in the distance, taking to the skies to return to Kiada’s side. “I have yet to find someone either.” She offered him as a form of solace. “I feel as though I’m failing that part of it, but I did save Kisamoa so I’m hopeful he’ll forgive me if I’m unsuccessful in this endeavor.” Another breathy laugh escaped her lips as she glanced back toward the water.

Khairi sailed close before dropping onto Kiada’s withers, his sharp talons gleamed with the shine and metallic tang of blood as they gripped onto her. A small amount of blood grew to the surface as his talons poked through her scarred skin, but she paid it no mind. The bird, originally white and pale as snow was flecked with blood along his feathers, but cheerfully looked to Rixen with his scarlet eyes and a beaky grin as he crooned a more up-front hello to the stallion. “He seems nice,” was all Khairi passed through their newly reformed bond.

Kiada, in the meantime, returned her sights back to Rixen. Her pale rimmed ears perked toward him as she gazed upon his marked face. “If you didn’t come from Helovia, how did you get here?” She questioned curiously, unaware that it might be a question he might not want to answer. She figured it was worth a shot, however, to see how other creatures managed to stumble into the world.

"Talk."
and she is —
gold, gold, gold.
Kiada
image | coding

@Rixen <3

RE: On My Way - Rixen - 12-31-2017

R I X E N

The slapping of water against rock roared in such ferocity yet offered a sound of rhythmic tranquility. "That is a difficult question, one that I’m not quite sure how to answer. Not even I know exactly how I managed to get here." I began, trying to think of how to explain my arrival in the Rift to the mare. It had been a while since I tried to recall that night in detail, and the memories came back to me in fragments. 

My mind was flooded with images of walking in familiar land, a meadow, if I remembered correctly. The soft grass crunched down beneath the weight of my hooves, then sprung back up again behind me as I went. It must have been night, for I was surrounded by darkness, save for the moon. The moon was full and the land was bathed in moonlight. The cold beams of light shone down upon my pale skin, illuminating my shape in the darkness. For some reason or the other, I had not been able to sleep, although I wasn’t sure why. The reason could have been because I was unable to find a sheltered place to rest, but it was most likely because my mind was restless. My herd had been destroyed several months earlier, and I had taken to wandering in hopes of finding a place to call home. Though I longed for the sense of belonging that a herd brought, I was also afraid. I feared that the same fate would befall me if I found another herd, and for that reason, part of me hoped to stay alone. My mind was filled with troubling thoughts, as it had been every day since I lost everything that I knew, and what was left of what I loved. I was restless. And so I walked.

Eventually, the grassy meadow came to an end, and the forest began. I don’t know why, but something within my said to keep going and I followed my instinct. The trees swallowed me whole. They were tall, and so densely packed that they blocked out the comforting light of the stars and the moon. It was dark, so, so dark. Not to mention cold. The biting air made my skin tingle, as if it were being pricked by thousands of pins and needles all over. It was not painful, instead quite ticklish and pleasant. A moment later and the blood was rushing through me, bringing a wave of warmth and energy with it. I remember feeling very strange, dizzy even. 

I could remember the voices. 

Eerie voices whispering in my ears, flooding my mind. Though I tried desperately, it was impossible to discern what they said or who the words belonged to. The whispers beckoned me closer and I could not help but follow my ears. It was as if there were invisible strings attached to each of my legs, slowly dragging me closer to the origin of the chilling sounds. I lost all control of my body but my hooves were still moving. The trees cleared up to reveal a moon-bathed clearing. In the center, illuminated by the moonlight, I could see that the ground parted to reveal a black teal mass. The whispers were louder now. They rang in my ears, but still I could not make out what they said. This may be grasping at straws, but I do believe that they were saying "come closer." 

Then I was falling. The world spun around me and I could not begin to describe to you what it felt like to fall without knowing where you were going; without even the reassurance that at some point, you would hit the ground. For all I knew, I could be falling forever. My mind spun. Was I dying? I lost track of my senses. I lost track of time. I lost touch with my body, unable to feel my limbs, unable to cry out in shock or fear or whatever indescribable way I was feeling. Everything was a rush. A blur. A stillness. All I perceived as the world fell away behind me was ...darkness. 

The next thing I knew, I lay covered in scrapes and bruises, surrounded by luminescent trees that I had never seen before. I was in the Rift. "Some kind of portal brought me to the Rift." Was the only explanation I could offer. That was so much easier than trying to explain how the events of that night had unfolded. If Kiada's journey to the Rift had been anything like mine, then she might understand. Continuing to gaze across the water, my eyes resumed their thoughtful expression. How captivating the ocean was. It was the great unknown that fascinated me so. The unfathomable deep... dark and dangerous, foreboding and unconquerable. On the surface the sea was beautiful and even graceful, but beneath its shimmering surface contained immense mystery.  

"Talk."

RE: On My Way - Kiada - 12-31-2017

Perhaps it was the wrong question to ask. For as he began to speak of not understanding how he got here, she watched the water as it seemed to still, as her own thoughts were dragged back toward that unforgiving time of Helovia, where Kaos reigned supreme, killing gods and darkness swallowing her whole. It wasn’t something she she particularly wanted to talk about, so she wasn’t sure why she expected anyone else to answer it as well. She breathed quietly as she nodded to him gently. “I see.” She admitted, her gaze dropping to the tidepool nearest to her as her mind drifted elsewhere.

It had been Autumn in Helovia, where her newest home in the World’s Edge was encased with a thick fog. She had just reunited with her twin, offering to take him to Kisamoa to see if he would be proud of the second in command she returned to him. But plans looked elsewhere. Instead, the conglomerate God had called them all forward, a rage unlike any that Kiada had seen there and before. She bore the pendant of being one of Kisamoa’s chosen warriors, and so she blindly followed the call. So many others had as well, faces she recognized and those she didn’t. She lost track of her beloved brother, her mother and her siblings, as she watched the world unfold before her.

Kisamoa roared in the distance, telling them not to fight him. She would obey, she followed this strange god despite the glowering comments of the others. He demanded them to go through the portal, but she had arrived late – after the destruction began. Others began to disobey, rebelling against this new god that tried to usher them to this hell. And in hindsight, Kiada wondered if it was worth it, to die rather than come here. But they thought it had been, as they stormed the powerful god. She watched, as the Helovian gods reached their own deaths at his hands, at the Helovian’s that cowered in uncertainty of whether or not to fall into that inky pit of darkness to a world that they knew only existed in tales.

But it was when her first love, a boy she had met when she was still nearly a babe fresh out of the womb, defied Kisamoa that she froze from her attempts at reaching the portal. She could still see as he triumphantly poised himself to attack the young god, watching still as ice as Kisamoa simply destroyed him. Sorrow loomed in her gut at the memory, following as her best friend moved up next, unable to survive a life without Ru’in – her own twin, and suffered the same fate. Despite Kiada’s thoughts on the matter, they welcomed death with open arms rather than come here. And she had simply let the front door open to this god.

He had made it up to her, somewhat, after she crashed through the portal and her Kaos pendent exploded, leaving that forever oozing teal X marking in her chest. And she had nearly killed herself to save him. She pushed a small breath through her nose, glancing sidelong toward Rixen as bitterness filled her veins for a brief moment and disappeared with the calm of the water – like a tide moving out. “I came through a portal too.” She offered him quietly, her voice a small amount more flat sounding. “It was a nasty thing.” Kiada did her best to seem humorous, but there was a darkness flashing behind those icy eyes, reopened upon the memory of her crashing into the Rift.

But then she did her best to try and think up something else to talk about, rather than the darkness surrounding their 'kidnapping' into the Rift. So she turned to him, offering him a small gentle smile. "So, Rixen, what's your favorite place in the Rift so far? Out of everything you've explored?" Her ears perked toward him, her smile remaining though fading somewhat on the edges.

"Talk."
and she is —
gold, gold, gold.
Kiada
image | coding

@Rixen <3